• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unsupported GPU for CS5

New Here ,
May 05, 2010 May 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all the interest of the "unsupported" GPUs, I thought it was time to start a specific thread.

Please post your questions and experiences.

Hacking is not advised and the unsupported cards are not ready for production use.

You've been warned! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 218 Replies 218
May 11, 2010 May 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the tips. The 7D files are fine, the problem is the Sanyo files, I think they are MP4 and they don't play fine as is. I don't want to convert them since they are already heavily compressed at 24 Mbits. As I understand, the 7D files are almost 50 MBits and allow for a lot of grading room.Funny thing is, the XH A1 files look gorgeous and they are only MPEG and easy to edit and they are 24MBits! Maybe I just love the Canon XH A1 (I am also comparing a $600.00 camera to a $3500.00 one)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2010 May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Valter can you tell me how to use the command prompt to open GPUSniffer i am not too familiar with the old DOS. I need to set my GTX 480 to work with Premiere CS5.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2010 May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MigPlas wrote:

Hi Valter can you tell me how to use the command prompt to open GPUSniffer i am not too familiar with the old DOS. I need to set my GTX 480 to work with Premiere CS5.

Thank you

cd "full path to premiere directory"

then just type gpusniffer [return]

but you dont evne need to run the gpusniffer

just find the text file in the premier directory, open, type in the name of the card in the exact same style it uses for teh other cards and then save (one some windows systems it will be annoying and won't let you save back into that directory, then save it to desktop instead and then drag that file manually back into the premiere directory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to NVIDIA control panel to add the Premiere Pro CS5 exe it  shows Premiere CS4 as found in my system ( I am keeping CS4 because of  older After FX plugins I've got which will not work in CS5) and Premiere  Pro CS5 won't "stick" to the control panel.

I am having the same problem.  CS5 can't be added to the drop down list on the Nvidia 3D settings.  Did you get yours to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, It still shows Premiere CS4 even after I uninstalled it. It works but not as smooth as I expected it to.

But then again, these are not MPEG files that I am dealing with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gdogdad wrote:

When I go to NVIDIA control panel to add the Premiere Pro CS5 exe it  shows Premiere CS4 as found in my system ( I am keeping CS4 because of  older After FX plugins I've got which will not work in CS5) and Premiere  Pro CS5 won't "stick" to the control panel.

I am having the same problem.  CS5 can't be added to the drop down list on the Nvidia 3D settings.  Did you get yours to work?

The hack should still work fine.  I think Nvidia Control Panel looks at the "EXE" name and ignores version info.  I have mine set to CS4 and it works still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gdogdad wrote:

1. i think i might be grabbin gonto CS5 after you do that, anyway

2. for most people I don't think it even matters, perhaps if you are actively running two monitors at the same time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is fine... As someone here pointed out, you will be fine with the nvidia control panel settings. I am using it at work right now on the GTX 260s and it is better than before but not by much. My guess is that the CPU matters... Is anybody still on old quad cores, i.e. Q6600 and above or are you all spoiled and on the i7s?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Valter Vilar wrote:

Mine is fine... As someone here pointed out, you will be fine with the nvidia control panel settings. I am using it at work right now on the GTX 260s and it is better than before but not by much. My guess is that the CPU matters... Is anybody still on old quad cores, i.e. Q6600 and above or are you all spoiled and on the i7s?

quad-core here (AMD Phenom II X4 940) + GTX 275 + W7 + 8GB

It looks like I can do most things realtime over two or three 5D2 tracks with varying track opacity, sharpening, color correction, cross-dissolves (although the CPU mostly has all four cores pretty much at 100%; the GPU is only at 8-20%). I definitely couldn't get that much going on at once in CS4 without totally bogging down (even if I re-wrapped in .mp4 and avoided the CS4 quicktime slowdown). There are one or two effects that I have tried so far that don't perform as well, at times. I'm sure if you did like say 6 tracks or something it would bog down although I haven't tried it yet (as of yet I haven't realistically needed to use more than four and usually don't have more than 2 at once, although i can imagine a few odd cases where I might want to use a ton at once).

On the one hand I am surprised it can get more than one 5D2 track going at once only using the CPUs which slightly hints at GPU acceleration for format decoding but on the other hand even a simple single file preview pushes all cores to at least 50% and it has been stated here that the GPU is not used for format decoding so I'm thinking it's not using hardware accel to decode formats so yeah CPU power is still be VERY important. If they can work in h.264 hardware assist then formats using h.264 compression might suddenly become a lot less CPU dependant in the future (although if you use more than a couple tracks and go completely insane with effects you'd still need a lot of CPU i guess, but simple 5D2 editing might not need too much CPU).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shooternz wrote:

Thanx for doing the test.

Seems to show the hacks dont make Quadros out of that series of cards.

Turning a Geforce into a Quadro was never the goal.

The point of the hack was to show that other Geforce cards would work.  I know for a fact the cards are physically different and that is why you can't softmod them as in the past when there was no physical difference.  My understanding is that there are eproms that are used to indicate the card is a Quadro.  Also, usually Quadros are best binned GPUs.

Not everyone needs a Quadro.

I just ordered CS5 Production so Adobe has succeeded in their goal...More sales!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can also use uncompressed AVI/MOV files, we'll get a an understanding of the impact of going uncompressed versus compressed CPU heavy dslr files you have used for previous tests.

What I've seen is that your render lin can go red but it still be smooth.

You are not using raid for your media files so I wonder if that will bottleneck.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Considering you have the current top consumer card available, the results will be interesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont think he has any other files apart from what he has already used.  He should stick with those for relativity.

Some one else will fill in the gaps with experiences in other formats CODECs

I will state now - what I use works perfectly with FX3800.

If what I use works perfectly for someone with a hacked card - thats their good luck as well.

Do not forget this is not a singularity  process.

It involves:  OS, Hardware, Setup, Graphics Card, User input before you even get to CODECS / Formats etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help

I do not obtain to pass of step3. If somebody to help, I am thankful me

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5>GPUSniffer.exe
Device: 00000000002DBCE8 has video RAM(MB): 1024
Vendor string:    NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer string:  GeForce GT 240/PCI/SSE2
Version string:   3.0.0

OpenGL version as determined by Extensionator...
OpenGL Version 3.0
Supports shaders!
Supports BGRA -> BGRA Shader
Supports VUYA Shader -> BGRA
Supports UYVY/YUYV ->BGRA Shader
Supports YUV 4:2:0 -> BGRA Shader
Testing for CUDA support...
   Found 1 devices supporting CUDA.
   CUDA Device # 0 properties -
   CUDA device details:
      Name: GeForce GT 240      Compute capability: 1.2
      Total Video Memory: 986MB
   CUDA driver version: 3000
CUDA Device # 0 not choosen because it did not match the named list of cards
Completed shader test!
Internal return value: 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

graphvideo wrote:

Help

I do not obtain to pass of step3. If somebody to help, I am thankful me

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5>GPUSniffer.exe
Device: 00000000002DBCE8 has video RAM(MB): 1024
Renderer string:  GeForce GT 240/PCI/SSE2

OpenGL Version 3.0
Supports shaders!
   CUDA device details:
      Name: GeForce GT 240      Compute capability: 1.2
      Total Video Memory: 986MB
CUDA Device # 0 not choosen because it did not match the named list of cards
Completed shader test!

step 3 is the one that counts

you need to look for the file stated in the instruction in the premiere main install directory and simply add a line and type "GeForce GT 240" and then save it (some versions of windows set certain ways will not allow you to save it since it is a main program directory on the root drive, in that case just save the file somewhere else and then manually copy it back into the premiere directory overwriting the file that is already that, to be super safe, you can first back up the original before copying over)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2010 May 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you run the cmd.exe after you added the line with your card added so I can see what it looks like.  I am having trouble finding a decent reviewed GTX 285, so I want to get the GTX 470 (will that work?)  If if work good then I will order a card and upgrade to CS5....I am just still a little undecided.  Right now I only have a GTS 250 card.

Thank you,

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bluesoda15 wrote:

Can you run the cmd.exe after you added the line with your card added so I can see what it looks like.  I am having trouble finding a decent reviewed GTX 285, so I want to get the GTX 470 (will that work?)  If if work good then I will order a card and upgrade to CS5....I am just still a little undecided.  Right now I only have a GTS 250 card.

Thank you,Sean

I don't advise getting a GTX 470 if you are using the card in real production.  There are drawbacks and you never know what to expect.  The GTX 285 has been tested and certified by Adobe.

After days of testing, the jury is still out (although I can say it works....how good is the question).

Also, whether it is supported in the future is still in question.

Is this what you are looking for below?  The output of gpusniffer.exe?

Device: 0000000000363E08 has video RAM(MB): 1280
Renderer string:  GeForce GTX 470/PCI/SSE2

OpenGL Version 3.0
Supports shaders!
   CUDA device details:
      Name: GeForce GTX 470      Compute capability: 2.0
      Total Video Memory: 1248MB
CUDA Device # 0 supported.
Completed shader test!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GTX 480 looks to be faster than Quadro CX...At least with 3 layers.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/634090?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2010 May 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yest that is what I was looking for where I now notice is says "supported".  I think

the problem I am running into now is that I currently have the GTS 250 but only 512mb.   I dont this this supports anything less then 1mb cards, I did everything but get the error that the memory is not enough.

"CUDA Device # 0 not choosen because 765MB are required, and 495MB are present"

I think if I had the 1MB card I would probably be good to go.  It is tough finding the GTX 285 with decent reviews, all I read about on newegg.com is overheat type of issues and having to underclock the card.  EVGA seemed to make a pretty good card but its not available that I can find and the GTX 470 is less expensive. 

I also noticed that Adobe is playing the same old game on the import presets, if you are using the trial version it doesn't give any of the good presets to try out.   I thought CS5 had some for the Canon 5D Mark II.

Also in the General Tab I cannot change the "renderer menu"  it is blacked out to only "Mercury Placback Engine Software Only".

Did another test with what I have and just threw in a bunch of 5D Mark II files, still using my GTS 250 512MB nVidia card.  Had 4 layer with a couple effects and seemed really smooth and rendered fast.

Removed a bunch of items to test in PP CS4 and basic long render and a little choppy.

So I must say that even without the upgraded card it is a night and day improvement working with native 5D Mark II files.   I just wish Adobe would get their act together and stop ripping off their customers.  I just got CS4 in Feb and now I dont have the 500+ to shell out for this BS non-sense marketing scam they are doing.   I am a little unhappy to say the least, so since I dont do this for living I may just stick with CS4 and Cineform until CS6 comes out next year....I figure they are going to pull a stunt like that.

Ahhhhhh....I dont know what to do.....will adobe lend me 800usd?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bluesoda15 wrote:

I think the problem I am running into now is that I currently have the GTS 250 but only 512mb.   I dont this this supports anything less then 1mb cards, I did everything but get the error that the memory is not enough.

"CUDA Device # 0 not choosen because 765MB are required, and 495MB are present"

Sorry to hear your card does not have enough ram.

CS5 is the most significant upgrade that I can remember.  64-bit and MPE is huge.  Worthwhile upgrade for me.

This is just a hobby for me so I'm happy with my GTX 470 setup.  3 lines is good enough for me.

Also, keep in mind your CPU, Memory, Hard Drive setup are just as crucial to good performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My GTX 285 works welll enough for AVCHD, but I'm going to test my old Geforce 8800 GTX (as a Quadro 4600) and just see what kind of results I get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mylifevisual wrote:

My GTX 285 works welll enough for AVCHD, but I'm going to test my old Geforce 8800 GTX (as a Quadro 4600) and just see what kind of results I get.

YES!  I was just reading on that last night.  I hope your card has enough memory.

Please post your results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind this is a test of a 8800 GTX soft modded to a Quadro 4600, so you do not get the full performance of a 4600, but it is accelerated from the standard Geforce drivers to the Quadro drivers.

Again, I use the Canon 7D, full 1080 24p AVCHD.

Running Windows 7 64-Bit

Core i7 920 (oc'd to 3.8GHz)

8GB DDR3 1600

Two Raptor Raid 0 for OS

3 Raptor Raid 0 for Working Project Drive

Used RivaTuner 224 and most recent Quadro driver.

GPUsniffer finds

Quadro FX 4600  Compute Capability 1.0

only 739MB of video memory

Cuda Device #0 not chosen because Cuda version 1.0 is not supported.

The hack was applied and opened Premiere and only offers software acceleration and not GPU acceleration, probably because of the lack of video memory and Cude 1.0 not supported.

Clearly not up to par with the playback of my GTX 285.

Had issues with playback of 3 video layers hanging up and continued issues with my Additive Dissolves and Non-Additive Dissolves as I have seen even with my GTX 285, although the multiple 3 to even 4 layers playback smoothly with my GTX 285 with color correction applied to all.

I would discount the 8800 GTX, soft mod 4600, and can't imagine the real 4600 would accelerate to the point of keeping pace with my GTX 285.

General functionality is greatly improved in CS5 with this same set up from CS4, but that obvious at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mylifevisual wrote:

Keep in mind this is a test of a 8800 GTX soft modded to a Quadro 4600, so you do not get the full performance of a 4600, but it is accelerated from the standard Geforce drivers to the Quadro drivers.

Actually, you are supposed to be able to softmod the 8800 GTS...Not the GTX.  The memory is what kept it from working I bet.

The most interesting part is to see if it would get beyond the 3 render line limit that the Non-Quadro cards have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What brand are people using of the GTX 285.  The three that are listed on Newegg.com seem sketchy from the reviews.  PNY doesn't have that card available anymore.   Any recommendations on a good brand that someone has available at a decent price?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines