• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unsupported Graphics Card??? UnPro!!!

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a relatively new MacBook Pro that has Radeon Pro 460 graphics card. From all forums I've read there hasn't been much of anyone successfully being able to export in Open CL. This problem is know and extremely annoying. My laptop is now crashing on rendering in both Metal and OpenCL. Now to make matters worse I can't even export on Software Only. My computer is constantly crashing on everything I do. I bought pro gear and expect pro results. Adobe is being unpro by not resolving this issue.

Can someone please help?!?!?!?!?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello jamesmonty76,

Hope all is well with you. Sorry for your issues. Let's try and resolve them.

Adobe is being unpro by not resolving this issue. Can someone please help?!?!?!?!?

The first thing to know about creating a forum post is that this is a user to user forum with only some assistance from Adobe volunteers and a few dedicated employees. A better way to get support from Adobe is to file a case by contacting us directly. Here's how to do that: FAQ: How do I contact Adobe Support?

I have a relatively new MacBook Pro that has Radeon Pro 460 graphics card. From all forums I've read there hasn't been much of anyone successfully being able to export in Open CL. This problem is know and extremely annoying.

Plenty of folks are having no issue with exporting on macOS, so let's find out what's going on with your project.

My laptop is now crashing on rendering in both Metal and OpenCL.

• What is your OS?
  • What kind of footage are you using?
  • Which camcorder did it originate from?
  • What is the audio format of the footage?
  • Any GPU accelerated effects applied?
  • Are you scaling your sequence, changing frame rates, or doing anything else unusual on export?
  • Is this a brand new CC2018 project, or one you updated CC2017?
  • If you updated the project, how does a brand new project behave?

Thanks for any further details you can give us.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

High Sierra

4K from an FS7 and 5D MarkIV

Titles and Color Applied

No Scaling or frame rate change

This is an updated sequence from CC2017

No issues with behavior in the project!

The only issue I know of with me setup is the unsupported GFX Card which is the Radeon Pro 460

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jamesmonty76,

Thanks for the info. I'd like to share a couple of things I have learned over the years if you are having problems with a project and are trying to figure out what's going wrong. These "rules of thumb" are true with most any editing software you work with.

1. Project File:
    • It is always advised to complete a project in the software version it was originally created in.
    • If I were in your situation, I'd complete the project in CC2017.
    • You should not update or install new versions of that software unless you are beginning a brand new project.
    • If there are bug fixes or features that are crucial to completing your project, do not update it—import it into a brand new project, then relink media if necessary.
  2. OS:
    1. It is never advised to update an OS in the middle of a project.
    2. Mac users should always repair folder permissions for all folders containing the application and any assets after a major new version of macOS is installed.

High Sierra

Whenever I update macOS, I always do a reset of all folder permissions that are used by Adobe. My blog post walks you through this process. Premiere Pro CC, CC 2014, or 2014.1 freezing on startup or crashing while working (Mac OS X 10.9, an...

Permissions and Creative Cloud need to be set up properly or you'll experience a lot of issues with the new OS and applications like Premiere Pro. Even if your permissions appear to be correct, please go through these steps. It only takes a few minutes. This wasn't necessary until OS X 10.9 appeared on the scene. Since then, it's been a habit.

4K from an FS7 and 5D MarkIV

This footage is certainly not the easiest in the world to decode, however, it should not create crashes on export. See if any of the warning codes match the ones found in this doc: How to fix issues that cause errors when rendering or exporting Let us know the results.

Titles and Color Applied

The Lumetri Color effect is an extremely GPU intensive effect. So you do have to take care when applying it. If you have the effect applied on too many clips in a sequence (such as a timeline that is an hour or more long), you could run out of GPU memory (VRAM) and cause exports to fail.

How much is too much? It depends on a good number of factors, one of them being that your footage is 4K. Larger 4K frames take more VRAM to display GPU accelerated effects than HD ones. Even though it appears that you have 4GB VRAM, it could be that your GPU might not be able to handle the load you intend to carry through to export.

This is an updated sequence from CC2017

This may also be a major cause of issues. The more complex a project is, the more issues arise when you update it from one major version of the software to the next. However, you seem to indicate that your project does not exhibit unexpected behavior, so I would first look at the former issue of oversaturating VRAM with GPU intensive processes like Lumetri Color, Warp Stabilizer and other GPU assisted effects preventing a smooth export.

The only issue I know of with me setup is the unsupported GFX Card which is the Radeon Pro 460

Sorry for the confusion, but any GPU over 1 GB VRAM is "supported." That said, it might not be as functional for exporting a sequence if it is given too many processes.

Personally, I work around some of these GPU VRAM limitations around color, 4K footage, and underpowered systems by ingesting camera originals into an intermediate codec with a "one light" Lumetri Color effect attached. This seems to cut down on the grading I need to do on the back end and leaves with fewer Lumetri Color effects in the timeline when it's time to export.

Furthermore, I also grade and "pre-stabilize" shaky footage with Warp Stabilizer for individual clips in After Effects and export to AME to an intermediate codec prior to editing to save GPU cycles on export.

If you are editing 4K footage with a laptop and are limited by hardware at all, you have to be prepared with certain workflows (via ingesting differently, pre-rendering effects, etc.) that provide a more stable editing experience overall. If this is too frustrating, you just might need a more powerful computer to do what you want to do.

I hope this helps. Please return with questions so that we can assist you in moving forward with exporting your sequences reliably.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Can you explain why OpenCL and Metal renders don't work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Won't work? Are the options disabled in Project Settings?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meaning the projects will only export or render when Software Only is selected!

The options are there for OpenCL and Metal. Unfortunately they make the system shutdown every time regardless of project or export settings.

Furthermore it’s not just one project that does this. It’s all projects old and new with the same persistent issue. What advice can you give?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your export work in Software Only but not in Metal or Open CL, it's probably due to the GPU Vram issue Kevin was talking about a few posts ago. Metal & Open CL uses the GPU to accelerate the rendering.

4k with lumetri is very intensive on the GPU and it's VRAM, and mobile GPUs used in high end laptops still falls behind of their destop counterparts, to save battery usage.

Hope this helps,

Seb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Radeon Pro 460 has 4G of VRAM! I would think it would have no problems. Until recent updates PP worked great with that GPU. My big 4K projects exported at lightning speeds. Less than 1:1 export times with lots of Lumetri Color, effects, and titles. ??????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines