• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video drops to black

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've edited video for 20+ years now and I am going to go crazy.  I have CC2018 V12 and just updated my drivers on my Nvidia Quadro 4000 card.  I'm running Intel i7 3960X @ 3.3GHz.  12 core.  32G of ram.  1TB SSD.  The system should handle anything and up to this point it has.  I'm working with 4K Green screen video shot on Canon 5D M4.  It keys great except while I am working the screen will go to black after working for a while.  I've tried clearing memory cache, disabling accelerated Intel h264, running only Premiere software, to no avail.  I've disabled the Mercury Playback engine as well.  Way too slow to edit this way.  Each time the video goes to black I have to restart the program.  It's not enough to close and reopen the project.  I think it has something to do with my graphics card getting overwhelmed.  If anyone has any idea what might be causing this mess, please advise.  I've worked with Avid for over 20 years and they are solid, but I love the integration of AFX into Premiere so I changed over about a year ago.  Sorry so long.  I can't be alone in this. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not alone in this, it happens sometimes. I haven't found that I need to restart the program, if I give it a bit to "catch up with itself" then I find it comes back and works. Not sure what causes it but I believe it's just a processing or memory problem and when Premiere hits some threshold it just gives up and puts out black video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So very true.  I can play all the HD footage I want, but as soon as I key any 4K and do any color correction on it, my system chokes and I have to restart the app.  Wondering if I need to buy a newer video card.  I built this system 3 years ago and it was a monster at the time.  It could handle anything.  4K has come along and now it is struggling.  What to do....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couple thing that might help.

1. Use Cineform proxies with all H.264 media.

Work offline using proxy media |

2.  Replace the Quadro with a GTX 1060.  Far more power for the money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can appreciate using proxies but when I am green screen keying, it is critical to use the original footage in order to get a clean key.  I don't think proxies help when Keying. 

I'm thinking about getting a new video card,  This one cost me $1200 back in the day, but with 4K hitting the market I may need to upgrade.  Why do you suggest the GTX 1060?  Is there a sight where Adobe recommends specific cards?

Thanks for the info.

Nathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cineform proxies should work fine even for keys.  The codec is that good.  But, if you find something amiss, you can always transcode to Cineform.

The 1060 and the Quadro 4000 are currently about the same price on Newegg.  If you have the scratch, you can always get something better.  A 1080 would be killer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To know the exact difference between Quadro and GeForce Cards this maybe helpful: GeForce vs Quadro as Fast As Possible - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines