• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When can we expect RED and Metal support in Premiere Pro CC 2020?

Engaged ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to Premiere Pro CC2020 editing RED footage is impossible. The stutter, lag and choppy playback makes PPCC2020 unusable for me. So like so many others that use premiere I had to downgrade back to CC2019.

I love Adobe but they keep attempting to offer these generic troubleshooting tips as if its our system knowing darn well its their application. I would have respected Adobe more if they would have just said "PPCC2020 is available but Mac users particularly Mac users working with RED footage this CC2020 version is Beta for you and recommend waiting for Metal support update"

Even more so, reading the post on the Adobe forum so many other users are having the same issue and not just with RED footage. Can Adobe staff offer any real  insight please. **With all due respect! Adobe please dont ask to troubleshoot this or ask whats the specs of my machine**

Is there any updates on this?

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to talk with "Adobe" meaing the engineering staff for Premiere Pro, the place to post troubles with something like this is their UserVoice system. At least one engineer reads and sorts every post filed, and sends things on to their appropriate internal connections. So going over there to see if there are any others posting issues with RED/Metal on Macs, and piling on by upvoting would be useful for your situation.

Two reasons:

• an engineer of the Premiere team does read every post;
  • Adobe's upper managers get a collated delivery of every post, and they're the ones who determine budgets ... and they live by metrics; give them metrics!

At Adobe MAX last fall, among others on the team, I got to talk with one of the engineers tasked with the UserVoice posts. His biggest complaint ... not enough, and not enough detail in the posts he gets. As, for what they can't replicate in-house, they need details.

Many but clearly not all users are working fine. For those with issues, often part of the problem is that on the in-house machines between Macs and various PCs ... they can't replicate a particular problem. Hence ... they need data on who is having the problem to start the process to sort them out from who isn't, a basic part of Troubleshooting 101.

Most of us "here" are not staffers ... they use a red Adobe badge on their user-name. So yes, "we" ask the questions that are helpful for again ... basic trouble-shooting 101 ... as the majority of issues here do have specific things one needs to understand to sort them out.

On my PC, running an Nvidia card, RED is working fine ... but I do know there are some things that Metal ain't handling as well as everyone would like. I work a lot with colorists, hence hear a lot of Resolve issues ... and the Mac people over there have a love/distressed 'feeling' with Metal. Sometimes getting awesome throughput ... sometimes, some apps/media/whatever, it's ... screwy.

I think this may be one of those things where the powers that be (for that, Apple) ... have their own reasons for wanting to ditch any other graphics engine and their interests and their users aren't necessarily in complete accord. It does seem to need some further attention.

But then, in computer gear, what doesn't? Sigh.

As to when some changes may be released ... by corporate policy none of the Adobe app teams are allowed to post or hint at when updates/changes/fixes may be coming. So we'll know when it "drops".

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil that's the thing, so many users have been posting on here and on the User Voice with this same issue. Whats the purpose of posting things to that platform if Adobe is not doing anything to fix it. I myself have posted on there several times. At some point Adobe needs to take ownership and address the issue. You have seen yourself on this forum how many people have been having this problem for months. And just like I mentioned this is not just with RED footage. CC2020 performance and playback compared to CC2019 is night and day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be stunned if they weren't working on this. I'd also be stunned if they said one word before dropping an update. That's Adobe policy.

Performance is fascinating. Are a number of people posting performance and particularly RED issues?  Yep.

Considering how many thousands work in Premiere daily, and what we've seen for posts here on wide spread issues before, I'd say quite a few pros are working in RED without issues. Or this forum would jump in posts on it.

Their engineers at MAX said as much in November. Total user performance is up. BUT ... some things are causing no end of grief for different user subsets. Most things they can't replicate in-house and what you can't see you can't fix.

They listed specifically the RED and Meral issues as the RED in-house was working great. Metal ... yea, that's a pain. They're not gonna say anything critical of Apple but anyone looking at Apple's decision to dump all Nvidia and force all GPU use to a new system/architecture not fully developed finds that problematic. 

You have my full sympathies there. And with RED, which on my PC plays fine. Which doesn't help anyone else I know. But I've got my own problems with Premiere of course.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is a pain. RED on PC,s work amazing, especially because they support Nvida cards which are the best in the game. I just really hope Adobe and Apple work on a fix soon. OpenCL worked great and I hate that apple is forcing this Metal on us. Im sure Metal works great in FCPX but they need to get Adobe the proper support. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also love to be a behind the scenes beta tester for Adobe, I use Premiere with a wide range of footage and scenarios and could offer direct immediate feedback. Is there a way to inquire about this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned, this forum users only. It's a website ( forum ). There are some people who work for adobe WEBSITE ( forum ) who come here to police the forum and make sure the website works OK. They ( the adobe 'employees' who come here) do not have contact with the company of Adobe in any way related to the product development or implementation of that software on platforms ( pc, mac, linnux, etc. ).

BUT there is a headquarters for Adobe which has a dept. of human services. If you go there in person you can apply for a job as a beta tester or a programmer or whatever you would like to do for them. I'm sure they would be happy to welcome you.

Other than that, my personal feeling is that you may have other options to get your work done properly. Most of the various formats and codecs and different source materials you work with ( other than Red ) probably work OK with the current version. Maybe you could just stop using Red ?

OR, there is a RED forum, especially for those users who use the RED cameras, and they have a lot of forum users who discuss using various software programs to do nice work with that footage, on mac or pc etc.

You could try to get more info from there... but that is also a user forum.,

Good luck !

Adobe has the utmost respect and dedication to helping the users of their software, and they very much appreciate all your help !  Please keep paying for the subscription and be as patient as you can, because they will make everything OK for you as soon as possible !

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you don't want to run CC2019, you may need to transcode your RED footage to Apple ProRes422 HQ for the time being.

Not ideal, but should still get the project completed in a reasonable time frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines