• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Can't I Rename a Sequence?

Participant ,
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I'm in the project panel, right?  Minding my own buiz and doing what I do.  I want to rename a sequence that I've instinctively named "fat chick" because, well, uh, she was a bit heavy (and in a bikini).  Well, now I need to show the "fat chick" that's paying me what her sequence looks like.  So I want to change "fat chick" to "cute lady" so she's happy.  But guess what?  I can right-click and hit rename, but I never get further than that.  I can't rename it.  So I had to show her the sequence and hope she'd only see the video, not the name of the sequence. 

What's weird is I can rename a whole bunch of other sequences, but the other half of the time I can't.  Oh, I can rename it if it's sitting in the timeline of another sequence... but it only changes it there in the timeline.  (I've posted on this before I realize this is a limitation in Premiere).  But this is different.  I want to rename sequences from the project panel but can't.

Now she's all mad at me and threatening a lawsuit becaue I hurt her feelings, yada, yada.  It's a disaster... all this because I couldn't change the sequence name.

Ok, so the story's made up, but the renaming problem is true.  Is this a bug?  How can I rename sequences when they don't want to be renamed and are perfectly satisfied with the first name I gave them?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 04, 2014 Jul 04, 2014

I figured it out. You cannot change the name in the Sequence panel, you can only change it in the Project Panel that holds all your files. Go to the sequence name in the project panel that you want to change and then right click and change the name. I had been trying to rename via the Sequence Panel. Screenshot 2014-07-04 15.59.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just left click on the sequence name directly.  It'll change to rename mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's what's supposed to work.  But when I click on the text of the sequence in the project panel, it just highlights it out (grey), but doesn't turn it into a white rename box like it does most of the other times.  Ok, whatever... so I'll just right click > rename.  No dice there either, although the option is available.  I click "rename" and nothing ever happens.  I can't rename it.  But when I do either of the above on other sequences it works as expected.

I restart Premiere and the computer and the same thing.

I then close my sequence timeline and try to rename and it still doesn't work.  Then I try importing the project into a new project and it still does it.

I have a work around when that happens (copy/paste into a new sequence with the name I want) but why would I be unable to rename certain sequences and others I can in the same project?    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a test, but in Project Panel, if you Rt-click on the Sequence, is Renaming still a no-go?

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why would I be unable to rename certain sequences

The only explanation I can think of is a corrupt sequence.  Copying in to a new one is probably a good thing.  It may just save you form other headaches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2012 Feb 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally figured this out after 2 years...

Widen the width of the project panel (make sure it isn't smaller than the NAME column).

Problem should be solved! -Kelly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 04, 2012 Feb 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ HybridM&M

No matter how small I make the project panel I can still get the rename field to come up and work.

@ Toomany3

Mabye try reseting your workspace to a different one and see if it works there.  Maybe something is out of allignment.

GLenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2012 Feb 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Glenn,

That's awesome for you, but unfortunately doesn't help me or @TooMany3 very much.  It's a random glitch (that might be specific to our systems) I have run across for almost 2 years now and could never find a logical explanation for.  And like @TooMany3 I had done every type of reset and workaround I could possibly think of including your suggestion.  NEVER WORKED. Then today when I ran across this thread with no answer and kept searching I found a suggestion that actually worked for me.  And my bet is that it will work for @TooMany3 also.

Thanks though

Kelly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2012 Nov 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just had the same issue. could not for the life of me work it out. then i realised that sequence was in a folder, i pulled it out of the folder and tried again.. voila.. sequence was able to be renamed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the workspace worked for me. Thanks, GLenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the workspace worked for me too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same here. Changed workspace and the input window started working. T-H-A-N-K-S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the fix.  At least in regards to the specific problem of when you click Rename and nothing happens.  The issue I has run into was clicking on any item in the Project Panel, selecting Rename, but no option to rename coming up.  By toggling the workspace from Workspace A to Workspace B and then back to A again, when you click Rename it now allows you to rename the sequence or media file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes yes yes! I was so frustrated about this that I nearly punched the cat... and I don't even have a cat ***runs around the studio celebrating***

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!!! Resetting the workspace was the trick!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the workspace worked for me too. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes resetting the workspace works! Was making me crazy...thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem when I use the search bar.  I have to clear the search bar and view all media before I can rename.  It is actually only certain searches.  Makes no sense, but when I clear, and scroll to the clip, I can rename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may have already been answered, but just in case it hasn't: Select the list option to view the items in the current bin (or wherever your sequence is), the select the sequence whose name you want to change. Hit the "Return" key, and the name of the sequence will become highlighted. You can now type in the new sequence name. Click anywhere outside the name to set it - if you hit the "Return" key you'll start the process again. Hope that helped!

Phyllis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked Beautifully! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is an old thread but i just found it because i was having this problem. And i fixed it for myself. it turns out that if your project panel is being FILTERED it wont let you rename. but if you x out the FIND box and display everything again, you can do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2014 Jul 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured it out. You cannot change the name in the Sequence panel, you can only change it in the Project Panel that holds all your files. Go to the sequence name in the project panel that you want to change and then right click and change the name. I had been trying to rename via the Sequence Panel. Screenshot 2014-07-04 15.59.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2014 Jul 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God bless you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnaks to you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines