• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do nested sequences render so much slower

Contributor ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm finding that rendering a nested sequence of clips takes massively longer than opening the nest and rendering the video content within. But then the internally rendered content doesn't work on the parent timeline.

When I say longer- I tested on a 10sec portion; Open the nest and pre-render the clips in DNXHD, I didn't get the chance to start a timer. Same 10sec of the compiled nest on the parent timetime, it's taking about 2 seconds on EVERY single frame.
What's so different?
TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric,

Sorry for the error. I do need to know, though: Why did you nest in the first place? Are you adding effects to the nest? The answer to this question may lead to the reason as to why.

Thank You,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had started doing nesting because of added text captions, but I just spotted that I had a denoiser on the nest container. Disabled that and it's playing back okay now. I've completely given up on using Neat Video in Prem but hadn't removed from that sequence (I probably did but lost my change in the last crash)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NeatVideo provides excellent noise reduction, but - as you've noticed - is very slow to render.

Sometimes I'll apply it to clips that need it in After Effects and then let AE or Adobe Media Encoder render the clips while continuing to work in Premiere Pro and then replace the noisy video clips with their NeatVideo versions by using Replace Footage... in the Project tab.

Of course, this means havin a license for the Premiere Pro version and the After Effects version of NeatVideo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In premiere I'm working with 4k footage but finalising in FHD. My plan is take that and run in through Neat video in Vegas. Vegas co-operates with 3rd party plugis much better, and when this project is done I'm unsubscribing from CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you're not doing clip by clip?  The NeatVideo profile feature is designed for individual clips, not pre-edited clips.

Vegas is a pretty good package, but NeatVideo isn't accelerated for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slice the clip and apply. I've used it for years in Vegas and it's speed is great. That's been discussed elsewhere and I've done my tests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input, Eric. If you have time, can you explain this shortcoming with third party effcts to the devs in a bug? https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

I know the team would like to improve this situation. I hope we can win your business back in the future. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bug report to and from Neat when testing V.5;

> Used within Premiere Pro CC 2018 (on a nested sequence), despite leaving
> the plugin as using CPU only, it prevents PP from using GPU acceleration when
> rendering either timeline previews or final render through Media Encoder queue.
> With Neat disabled, PP rendered my test 60sec in 3 minutes and I watched
> both the GPU and CPU hit >90%.
> With Neat given 8 CPU cores to play with (deemed as optimised) I tried to
> render the same clip but it prevented Premiere from using the GPU; it hardly
> reached 5% and the CPU sat around 10% in task manager.
> 5 minutes later I could see in the preview that the clip timeline hadn't
> passed more than a few seconds and predicted render time kept getting longer.
>
> Disabled Neat and hit render = Full Power to Adobe again. It just seems to
> stop Premiere from using the GPU/CPU properly

[REPLY]

I believe (based on our developers' experience with Adobe documentation, support, etc.) 

that it is a feature/limitation of Premiere itself. Premiere does not use its GPU processing

when certain types of plug-ins / video effects (including Neat Video) are used. 

We are not sure why Premiere does that but it is a decision of Premiere and its developers

and so can only be changed by them.

To efficiently use Neat Video with Premiere I recommend to enable use of GPU by Neat Video

in Neat Video Preferences. This should speed up processing because at least Neat Video's part 

of processing will be done faster.

[END QUOTE]

By undergoing that final advice, Neat does seem to be making good use of my GPU but PP is still loitering around 10% CPU and only using 20-25% of my RAM. Over 30minutes to pre-render 32seconds of video with nothing but Neat and Lumetri on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

more chance of peace in the middle east

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines