• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows Premiere Pro will not decode ProRes files

Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to edit some clips I shot in ProRes with my Ninja V in Premiere Pro and I'm using Windows.  I downloaded and installed the ProRes driver the error messages in Premiere referred me to twice now, restarted my computer, and my project settings are set for the CUDA Mercury Playback Engine.  It hasn't changed anything.  The clips show up as blue in my bin and if I drag one of them into my timeline I continue to get the error messages.  Any ideas how to correct this?

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

I'm documenting the answer that we found on this issue for public searchability.

The issue in this case is that, for a reason we've not determined, the Apple ProRes RAW for Windows 1.3 installer was not creating a registry entry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders, specifically a string with a value of C:\Program Files\Apple\ProRes RAW for Windows\  (indicating the install location of the decoder, debayer, and license files.

Though we don't know why t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey ratt57,

Sorry about the issue. Could you share the screenshot of the error message? Are you working with Prores RAW files? Which version of Premiere Pro are you currently working on? We're here to help. Just need some information.

Thanks,

Ishan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the latest update of Premiere, 22.6.2 (Build 2).  The Creative Cloud always updates it asap.  Yes, they are ProRes RAW files.  Here's a screenshot:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB
NVidia GeForce RTX Super

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting the 'raw' part. Did you try it with a new project? Did you delete your cache before using the update? Try it if you haven't.

• Start PP from it's normal desktop icon (IE: don't open from a project file link).
Close the Open/Home screen (and you will be in PP without a project open).
• Go into Edit/Preferences/Media Cache (Mac users adjust menu name)
• Then Press: Remove Media Cache Files: and Delete...
• Select: Delete all media cache files from the system and OK
Close PP - It will create any needed cache files on the fly as you edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted all my media cache files, retsarted Premiere and dragged one of the ProRes RAW files into the app: same error message, only this one showed up on the lower right side of the screen.  I don't understand why this keeps happening.  I attached the error window, I blurred out the names of my folders it was referring to.

Also, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  Even though I have my preferences set to receive comments by email, they're not being sent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also started a new project and tried to drag one of the files into the timeline.  I got an "importing file" window that sat there endlessly and didn't import it.  I eventually just canceled it.

I don't know if this is helpful, but I use a program called MediaInfo to analyze video files.  Here's an analysis of one of the files:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error message, I think, only appears when Premiere Pro doesn't find Apple's .dll for ProResRAW decode on Windows.  So you've downloaded Apple's ProResRAW.msi file, run the installer, and then you've got the .dlls at this location?  "C:\Program Files\Apple\ProRes RAW for Windows\[license, debayer, decoder files]"  That's *supposed* to be a common install for PrPro, AE, ME, etc. -- will your system decode those ProResRAW files in Media Encoder?  I'm wondering if it's an Apple msi install issue, or just a failure in PrPro.  Can you decode *any* ProResRAW sources on this sytem, in any app? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.  Under Program Files/Apple/ProRes RAW for Windows I have a license file, a PRRawDebayer.dll and PRRawDecoder.dll. Are any files missing?

Re: viewing ProRes RAW in another app, my understanding is that Apple will only allow ProRes Raw to be viewed in Premiere and AfterEffects in Windows.  VLC, which will decode just about any format, can't decode it either.  When I spent $600.00 on my Ninja V, it was never explained that ProRes RAW was not being licensed to Microsoft.  So I'm grateful that I can at least work with the files in Premiere, if I can ever get it to recognize them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those three files match what I have on my system.  I'm able to view/import/use several flavors of ProResRAW in .mov and .mp4 containers.  I can also use them in Adobe Media Encoder, which comes along for the ride with PrPro and/or AE.  ProResRAW *does* require hardware decode, so make sure you're using CUDA (File/Project Settings/General/Mecury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA)).  Or OpenCL works, too, but you've got an Nvidia card.  What's the number on your card, and what driver version are you using? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see now that you've already confirmed you're using CUDA in your project settings.  And in your System Settings/Apps/Installed Apps, you can see "ProRes RAW for Windows?"  Version 1.3?  I found some Atomos ProResRAW media in our repository, and it seems to work fine here, but the metadata doesn't indicate which product line it came from.  In addition to confirming System Settings/Apps/Installed Apps, if you want to run a "dxdiag" run command (in your taskbar search) and PM that system report to me, I'll see if I can spot anything out of place with your gpu or drivers.  Seems like you've done your troubleshooting, so the other thing I might want to verify is to make sure the Ninja V implementation of ProResRAW is the same as other Atomos products.  I wonder if you've tried ProResRAW media sources other than those off your Ninja V? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded a sample ProRes file provided by a YouTube video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcdZGA7LW44&ab_channel=JonPais and I got the same error message when I attempted to drag it into Premiere Pro.  So I don't think it's my Ninja V's output.  I also ran the dxdiag command and saved it as text file.  Sorry to sound so dense, David, but by saying you want to PM it to you, are you referring to attaching it here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's your Ninja V output, either; I did a little looking into the spec, and it seems to match what I can decode on my end.  I'm looking at ProResRAW and ProResRAW HQ files that should match your files pretty closely.  By "PM" I mean private message (the little envelope icon upper right).  I don't know if the report will show anything useful.  I'm starting to run low on ideas, here, though.  Are your CC apps installed at non-default locations by chance?  Not that that should matter. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not seeing an envelope icon, am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did some research and changed my preferences, I'm now able to send and receive private messages.  However, it's not allowing me to attach the file in either .txt or .xml format when I try to send them to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you'll have to put it up on google drive or dropbox, somewhere you can provide a link to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said "I downloaded and installed the ProRes driver"  I wonder if that's the problem? Uninstall it or roll it back if you have a restore point. PP should play ProRes without any drivers. So having that one may be a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the whole point of installing the driver was because Premiere wasn't playing them in the first place.  When I dragged the clips into Premiere I got a window with a link telling me to install the driver in order for Premiere to be able to decoede ProRes RAW files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm documenting the answer that we found on this issue for public searchability.

The issue in this case is that, for a reason we've not determined, the Apple ProRes RAW for Windows 1.3 installer was not creating a registry entry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders, specifically a string with a value of C:\Program Files\Apple\ProRes RAW for Windows\  (indicating the install location of the decoder, debayer, and license files.

Though we don't know why the Apple msi installer was failing to create this registry entry, we do know that Premiere Pro needs the entry to discover the ProRes RAW for Windows install location.  When we manually created a String value at that location in the registry, pointing to the correct location on disk, Premiere Pro was able to find the valid SDK, and decode the customer's ProRes RAW files.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you point us in the right direction on how to modify these Key values?  When I do a search in the registry editor, I see that there is a folder pointing to the debayer DLL file, but notthing for a license or decoder file.  When I try create the string value with the folder it says it already exists.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:  When I search for the key value, I see that there is a folder and within the file explorer, I see the necessary files, but the values are within a folder called InprocServer32.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot indicates Computer/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID...
What do you see at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! As you mentioned, there was no reg key in the installer folder. I've created one and my error message regarding the decoder is no longer appearing but I still have a black/blue screen with only audio playing on my ProRes Raw Files

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Elwyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching to "Software Only" from CUDA" allows me to preview the video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines