• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Your Macbook Has Run Out Of Application Memory

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I started new project with footage from Sony A7iii and everytime I try to render it crashes saying system has run out of application memory.

In Activity Monitor I saw Premiere took memory of 3gb to over 60gb. I tried deleting unused in media cache but still happens. My macbook was optimized for video editing and I've edited other projects with same Sony footage. Here is pics below at bottom of problem and system. Thanks for any help.

Problem message - https://ibb.co/3pwzLGZ

Operating System- https://ibb.co/YkWqmVv

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it might be that your computer is under powered ( ram, etc. ) to deal with the source footage you have. What are you trying to edit from Sony camera ? full HD ? 4k ?  Any info would be helpful...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4K. I just exported a 20 minute 4k video from Sony A7iii no problem  and my macbook geared for video editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cool. so the problem is fixed ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 29, 2019 Jun 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...looks to me that he is experiencing a memory-leak.

Using 64GB only for SONY material is clearly not possible on regular basis (I'm using the same , and am way off it ).

But , I had the same problem , until I found out that some effects (Plug-ins) caused this during export.

Hint:

Have the acitvity monitor open during export, and watch closely from where the memory consumption is rising . Have the mediaencoder open a t the same time, so you can see where the progress is.

Then , short before the crash , kill the adobe-process and determine where on your timeline (percentage from me-progress) the encoder is waisting memory until infinite.

From the moment , when you are consuming more then physical memory , the system will begin to swap...meaning it will use internal SSD-space as virtual memory , until your internal drive is totally used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

since his system ram is 16 gig and his gpu is 4 gig... I find it amusing that he is using 64 gig don't you ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try decreasing your memory usage for Adobe Apps in settings to preventing the Memory from maxing out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Where about do I set this and to what limit should I set Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > Preferences > Memory > and then increase "RAM reserved for other applications"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2019 Jun 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you recommend is set it to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on the system/setup. Try like 4 GB and then increase from there till it doesn't freeze.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be file in first ten minutes as I tried rendering the other 50 minutes no problem but when I go back it freezes. Even tried creating new project and importing the clip same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just one large clip? Did you try increasing the  "RAM reserved for other applications" to something high like 16GB just to see if it won't crash? Also, when you get that message, open up Resource Monitor to see if it's actually maxing out your RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's a ten minute clip with two video tracks. The other 50 minutes had two tracks also. I tried increasing ram for other applications and it crashed at 10% which was normally happening at 85%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a lot of other apps running? If not, then I'd try restarting, clearing prefs, and if that doesn't work reinstalling Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible it's the file causing the jump in memory?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be, what's the source codec? Maybe transcode to something with low compression like ProRes or DNxHD first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, remove the overhead of dealing with the native Sony a7iii formats (XAVC S: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, AVCHD: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) by transcoding to Apple ProRes 422.  If this is for broadcast/cable, use Apple ProRes 422 (HQ).  If it’s for the web, use Appel ProRes 422 (LT).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...the system memory is used in premierepro exclusively for caching the timelineinformation and anything related to it (effect-params the edl a.s.o)

It also is used, for the playbackcache, and for prerendered effects .

But , it is strictly limited to the max available real physical memory like a stack.

If the limit is reached, it will delete those content with the max distance from the current cursorposition.

If someone is experiencing those memoryleaks, then the automatic "garbagecollection" (meaning : the automatic freeing of not anymore used data) is broken ....the so called "memory leak".

what can one do ?

As I understood, here is the memory consumption stable until somewhere at the 10% mark.

So , select that area that presumably contains the faulty file/frames, by setting in and out marks.

Export only that area to a different format (regardless of DNxHQ or ProRes ). ... exporting only that small area should work with your avail 16Gbs...even when the system starts to create a increasing swapfile)

Import that created file and set it on top of the timeline overlapping the exact position of the in/out range.

Premierepro will now use at export only those frames which are necessary for the final rendering. That means , that it will use at the critical area only the new (clean) sourcematerial.

try it , if it sounds reasonable to you.......

btw. all the information about the different types of memory and accelerations adobe is using these days, are a result of very hard investigation directly with adoby for more then a year now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is also the clip will continue playing without showing it even if I pause it or drag cursor around timeline keeps playing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I'm having this same problem. did you find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines