• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple caption tracks visible for accessibility

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the previous version of Premiere Pro, I was able to add multiple captions and make them visible in order to have English/Spanish on screen. But in the latest version (Version 15.0.0) only one track of captioning is available.

This makes it hard for those of us who are working on making our videos accessible to multiple audiences. Please bring back the ability to have multiple tracks of captioning visible at the same time.
Idea Under review
TOPICS
Graphics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
This is not a bug, it's as designed. We specifically limit the visibility to one track at a time to avoid accidentally burning in multiple tracks. Also, when exporting to a format that only supports one captions stream like SRT or STL, we need to know which is the active track in order to export the correct track.

But I understand why you might need two tracks visible at the same time.

Multiple speakers:
If we could automatically identify speakers and designate a style associated with them, wo...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 167 Replies 167
167 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being able to show multiple captions can be a great help or may be even necessary for some editors. Just give a warning before playout, that there are multiple captions enabled. Just like with offline media.
Don't remove options! Don't build limitations that can't be toggled on or off!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes it is necessary to burn in multiple caption tracks in various languages or if there are different styles within one track. thank you for improving this functionality!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need multiple caption tracks because the framing is different in specific situations and it would take me ages to do them manualy. So if I could add a caption style to each track and position my subtitles accordingly it would save me tons of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you ever need to burn in both at the same time or is it just a matter of being able to see both to aid in translation and alignment?

I do educational work where I need 3 lines of captions, one in English, one in Chinese, and one in Romanization.

The nesting workaround also doesn't work for me, so I'm super bummed about this. I'm just surprised that it was disabled completely and not done in a way where you can toggle....

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

..and I note, as I did a few weeks ago, that another apparently major revision of Premiere has appeared, still with no hint of anyone at Adobe addressing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many ways to avoid the so-called "accidents", but out of sight out of mind method is definitely not the way forward. Please, Adobe, do not stifle the creative work of your users with your one-sided perception of how captions should be implemented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Yeah no... You're doing it wrong peasants. We, at Adobe, believe we do it right and any other way of doing it is wrong. That will be 80$ per month please."

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so useful in school for me as I deal with an environment of learners from several different countries. It's a shame we have to work around this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the consensus here between your users is that if someone is stupid enough to accidentally burn in two at the same time without meaning to, that's on them, and there's no reason to be restricting something like this as a "failsafe" when anyone who knows what they're doing doesn't need it. I second the suggestion I saw below, that if there's 2 active then give a warning to the user when they're exporting, that should be more than enough to alert someone to any possible mistake.
Completely removing or excluding a feature because some people don't know how to use it correctly is ridiculous.
(And the fact that people barely ever get a response from Adobe on these forums is equally ridiculous)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do sometimes need to add two languages at the same time. For social media, for example, working in China, we often have to have both Chinese and English subtitles together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was just an update with quite a few new caption features.... but not this one? 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Francis,

for me, it's the users who have to be careful about what they do, both when editing and exporting,...

We need to be able to work with several subtitling tracks visible simultaneously on the same timeline.
You have integrated in the interface the basis to allow this:
see nothing, see only one, see them all and you also reproduced the possibility to activate them individually "on demand"...

Unfortunately, it's not really active like that since, for now, it's "nothing or one at a time".

It's a bit the same for the subtitle track order... You can rename them but not organize them as you want: too bad.

Thanks for your attention, Vincent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super frustrating!!!!! Why you're supporting the multi subtitle tracks????

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I frequently need to burn in multiple languages at the same time for subtitling. Right now, I have to burn one language subtitle, then export the video, create a new sequence, then add the second set of subtitles for the second video. It is quite laborious and could be solved by simply allowing to burn two files at once.

Also, davinci resolve simply lets you select both tracks, and when you click export, the tracks are exported as separate SRT files. THis is a very simple solution to the SRT problem mentioned above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 I Always need to put the subtitles lower than allowed so that I don't hide text on promotional videos from many companies. I now have to create a text in the timeline to avoid this problem, I waste a lot of times. I'm working on more than 500 videos files per month with this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being able to see multiple subtitle tracks is definitely necessary. 3 things:

1. I make videos for people speak different languages. If there are no 2 subtitles in 2 languages, these people cannot watch the video together and understand it together. They will have to watch the video separately with subtitles in their own languages. This builds a communication barrier.

2. I always use voice recognition software to automatically generate subtitles in different languages. In the old version, I can just drag subtitles in different languages to a timeline, and align them whatever way I want. This is no longer an option. I have to type in different languages manually in all text boxes through out the whole video. It could kill you when you are working on an hour-long documentary.

3. Please make multiple tracks of subtitles available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As everybody has explained, there are a million of situations where you need multiple languages rendered at the same time. Premiere is a creative tool, and users can go beyond the standards.

In those cases where multiple languages are needed to be rendered at the same time, it is understood that those subtitles will be burned into the video and not used as SRT.

So, coming into solutions more than into complains, and talking as the software developer that I am, I suggest that -at least for now- you gave the user the chance to render the captions into an alpha video layer that can be easily adjusted on top of the other captions. Of course this still will means that for each change you make in the caption you will need to re-render the captions, but at least you would not need to re-render the whole video, loosing quality, and you would be able to even apply effects and transforms to the rendered captions, which can help in the creative process.

Looking forward to downloading that update.

You are welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the new captions workflow is well designed and a little more straight forward, the multi-track option not being available is frustrating. I like to subtitle 2 different speakers, who happen to be speaking at the same time, and not have the lines overlap with the '-' because they might be off by a second or two. Allowing the multi-caption visibility will allow users to not only have 2 different tracks but allow different customization to fit their project, while seeing both at the same time.

While I'm at it, the fact that you aren't able to customize each line individually anymore is also frustrating. I have to create several subtitle tracks and bring them into my sequence in order to have different size fonts for my lines. (I like to have English along the bottom in a smaller font, then a different language on the top line in a bigger font.)

Like many others have said, to keep people from accidentally burning subs into their video just provide a warning at export. After that it's their error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my video I have two speakers, and I want them to have different colors for the subtitles. At first I tried doing it on one track but it was taking way too long to edit each one since each track can only have one style. So I tried doing it with two tracks but now, for some reason only one track is visible at a time, making the whole idea of multiple tracks kind of useless. How do I make all of the tracks visible ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. You seems to assume that 2 subtitles always are at the same spot on the movie. But it dosen't have to be like that. Subtitles sometimes are placed at different lokation on the scene. You could make it possible to have 2, 3 or 4 subtitles visible at the same time with a warning that says subtitles can not be exported as srt. And has to be burned in to the movie. Just ma suggestion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in Hong Kong, we always need both Chinese and English subtitle which I cannot do it with Premiere now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a need to burn in multiple languages at the same time. I'm working in Belgium (3 official languages), where some content could be in a third language (let's say English because that is very common). I should at a minimum have subtitles for this English video for both large language communities here, one in Dutch and one in French. If I can have a unique color and style for each track as well, that is all the better so that whoever may be reading along can have a visual cue to which track to follow quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For teaching videos this is also a necessary feature.

For instances where videos are exported to different platforms across different languages this is also necessary for timesaving.

Additionally, the auto-new line feature creates problems for us multi-track users. We need to be able to create longer subtitle lines (even if this is done manually).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Francis crossman, has there been an update for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My work-around is with nests. Creating a new caption layer with each nest.

Votes

Translate

Translate