• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nearest neighbor scaling (sampling) - simple and vital

Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects allows you to use Bicubic, bilinear, and nearest neighbor ("draft") for scaling. (Also known as "sampling" or "interpolation.")

Premiere should absolutely have the option for the Motion effect to use Nearest Neighbor. (It would still be bicubic by default, as it is now.)

This is very important for sprite art, screenshots, screen recordings, etc.

Here is a forum thread on the issue from 2012, where most people unfortunately don't even understand what the problem is:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1061901

NOTE: The TRANSFORM effect currently has the option for bilinear and bicubic. It would be good to add nearest neighbor here, but that should not be the ONLY place where it is available. The Transform effect still has severe issues with buggyness, instability, and choppy movement. Again, it is important that the MOTION effect has the option for Nearest Neighbor.
Idea Under review
TOPICS
Effects

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
Currently, Premiere uses the Lanczos method for intrinsic scale and rotation. Lanczos is an exceptionally high-quality interpolation method which generally yields better results than bicubic, bilinear or nearest neighbor. From reading the forum post, it seems that up-scaling is the real issue here. I suggest looking at the Detail-Preserving Upscale effect in After Effects. It does a really good job and gives you some parameters to tweak to fit your specific content.

Votes

Translate

Translate
65 Comments
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to try the methods you describe, do you think this is acceptable for low resolution content? We just want a point/nearest scale option, the options you're giving us DO NOT WORK and LOOK AWFUL. I apologize if I come off as angry, but I've seen this issue brushed off for over five years in this forum, and it's super frustrating that so many of us NEED this feature, but we're ignored. And told to use X options which are “good enough”. Can't we at least get those doing good work on the BETA team to at least do a crack at it? It can be hidden in menus for all we care, many of us are adding hours to our rather typical professional workflows for a workaround that Adobe refuses to address. Again I do apologize for my attitude, and it's not to you or any of the forum managers here, I think you're good people and doing your best. But this “good enough” answer just simply isn't good enough, and as users we're begging you to at least throw the idea at the beta team. I really do appreciate everything you all do, but this feature isn't atypical. I've been in eight different studios where this has been an issue in some capacity. I attached the image showing the workarounds you described, and I think it illustrates perfectly why they're simply NOT WORKING.

Thanks for your time as always. -Sephie

ssadobe.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is bonkers that all of the bloat that jam into their programs they can't give us nearest neighbor resizing.  Every day Adobe you come up with some new way to be dissapointing. Every day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Francis-Crossman Detail-Preserving Upscale will not work for "pixel" graphics, like sprites. As you can see if you look at the posted examples in this thread. Need a "Nearest Neighbour" scaling algorithm, like the one in Photoshop. We would really appreciate if someone at Adobe took a serious look at this or at least read up on what we exactly are wanting... please. Been wanting this myself for YEARS and YEARS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a plugin that almsot works, but I can't export a MOGRT with it.  Swell.

Add this basic function in; this isn't even a feature it's a function.  Not having nearest neighbor scaling available would be like a calculator that doesn't allow you to do math in base 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Francis, i work with pixel animation games and need this on my daily basis, if there is any way you could help with this problem i would be forever thankful! the ''Detail-Preserving Upscale'' is good but it doesn't help in most cases. Thank you for looking into it, Blue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly it seems like Adobe's attempt to increase communication only includes one reply, when it comes to the forums. When an Adobe employee actually reply to someone here, there are often no follow ups beyond the first reply. And I get it; they are busy. But Adobe need to try harder than this, even though to be fair, they have improved their efforts when it comes to communication. But they also need be willing to listen and actually fix/improve/change things we are reporting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, sharpening and leveling the white levels helped, but it's not
perfect like nearest neighbor.
Unfortunately it seems we won't get this, it would be an incredible tool,
maybe some day.

<>
Não
contém vírus.www.avast.com
<>
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@blue's Editing I try to record my gaming related pixel graphics already upscaled, using either emulation or an xRGB-mini. If that doesn't work I use VirtualDub, which has Nearest Neighbour scaling. But it's a bit tricky to setup, depending on what file formats you are using for your source material.

Photoshop could be an option too, but there is a bug that prevent Nearest Neighbour scaling from working on a videoclip. I reported it four or five years ago, it was confirmed as a bug by Adobe. But they still haven't fixed it. 😒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I normally record the zoomed parts in 4k but having hours of that would be
too slow to edit, it's sad that such a good tool can't be used in a program
that costs so much a year.
I'll look into VirtualDub, but Adobe could help out a lot with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I agree! Or at least read and understand our feedback properly and see what the problem really is. Lanczos is nowhere near viable for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, there is a free plugin that offers nearest neighbor algorithm scaling. It's PixelPerfect from Autokroma.
There is additional parameter to control the algorithm and have a gradular shift between NN and lineal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work the first time but now it is my go-to tool, thank you for
sharing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I read this reply it makes me even madder lmao. It's been almost a year and this is what they left us with, a complete and utter refusal to even understand the problem on a basic level. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i use this as the adobe mailing list

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most of us are aware of it, but it and GPUresize are way too slow and not stable enough in larger projects.

It's such a basic feature we shouldn't need to use plug-ins to achieve it, or expect to.

Votes

Translate

Translate