Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2019 // Cant scroll through LUTs

Participant ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

as the title says: I cant cycle through the different LUTs.

However, the default LUTs from Adobe cycle through, but NOT my own added LUTs. I added them through this path:

Program Files\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Technical

Program Files\Adobe\Common\LUTs\Creative

When I choose the Adobe preinstalled LUTs, it cycles through till the first user added LUT and jumps to "Search"

This wasnt the case with Premiere 2018. Is there a fix?

Regards

Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
55 Comments
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed putting them in program files will cause problems and errors causing the program to crash. But! scrolling does work fine then indeed. Now, if you put the LUTs in the correct folder scrolling won't work. I haven't found a fix, however, if you scroll fast enough at first, you skip "browse" and after that you can scroll as you like :). I know this isn't perfect but it's something 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is not solved.

I have my LUTs in the appropriate location and am still having the same issue. Every other version of Premiere worked fine with this method until now. 

There's another error that will not apply my LUTs to the final image unless I have these luts also copied in the Media Encoder Program Files folder. Are these related? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update to this? Still having this issue in Premiere 2020. Uninstalled/reinstalled multiple times. 

Everything worked fine in Adobe CC2018. Now, every time a LUT is applied to the image via an adjustment layer, it sets the LUT at the top of the list, while placing BROWSE right underneath it, making it impossible to quickly see/scroll throught  the list. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• NO! Please, do not place LUTs in the app package.
  • It will cause you (and others reading your "solution") problems down the line if you do this.
  • Please create custom LUT locations according to documentation.
  • Please do not condone your method of placing LUTs wrongly in the app package either. It voids your warranty.
  • I have been trying very hard for the past few years to prevent people from installing LUTs wrongly.
  • Doing so can actually cause techncial issues and raise our support case volume.
  • Again, please do not post your tests as a potential solution. I would appreciate it.

Thanks for understanding.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need the LUTs in any second location, you are dong it WRONG. And it can bite.

If you put LUTs in the following folder locations, and note these are not in the Program/Package folder trees! ... then Premiere, AfterEffects, MediaEncoder, and Prelude can all see them in the one folder setup.

This is the ONLY place to park your own LUTs, never ever ever put any in the Package/Program folder locations. You will need to create the Technical and Creative folders in this chart to put your LUTs into.

Neil

Lumetri LUTs Looks Findable Locations.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys insist on doing it this way yet it only brings issues. We need this problem fixed, its impossible to test luts with this bug and its been already FOUR years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which location have you been using, and what specific issues have you had? That's needed details.

Because many people use the app daily without troubles with LUT use. Personally, I use LUTs all the time, and cannot replicate the issues. Which is not to say others are not having troubles, simply that I cannot replicate using the specified locations.

So for someone having troubles, well ... troubleshooting requires details.

In this case, your OS, hardware, and the LUTs involved, created ... how/by what, where they are stored, and what problems you have trying to apply them to a sequence or clip. That would help the devs isolate a potential cause.

And please, do post that information!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

simonm28758763_0-1695005263343.png

Right here, as you suggest. And my issue is the same as everyone in this thread; the LUTs menu in lumetri cant be scrolled after selecting one without opening the "browse" dialog, making testing luts impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

forgot the details; win 11, intel i7 11700k, nvidia rtx 2060 super, 64gb ram, m2 samsung 2tb ssd

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting the details ... and yea, the problem about scrolling is a pain.

You can't at all in the Basic tab (Technical folder LUTs) which is what you show up above.

And in the Creative tab, you can only "scroll" by clicking the sideways arrows in the Creative tab Preview screen. Which, giving all the LUTs they include with the program, can take for freaking ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're all in the appropriate folders and I STILL cannot scroll through my LUTs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Putting the LUTs into any folder doesn't in my experience affect the ability to scroll while previewing the LUTs effect. You can't no matter where you park them.

But putting them in the correct folders for user LUTs does get correct LUT application, both within Premiere across Premiere versions, and across the three apps, AfterEffect, PrPro, and MediaEncoder.

Previewing LUT effects while scrolling is not possible at this time, as handy as that would be. And it would a change in the programming of the app. Check for an Idea post, or create one, and link that here.

Then we can all go upvote it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats the thing; I used to be able to scroll through the menu without going back to "browse" everytime a LUT was applied, same with the preview screen, if I select a LUT and use the arrows the "browse" dialog will pop up and reset my position in the LUT menu. Im sorry if im not being clear, its a complicated behaviour and english is not my first language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, the language thing is just a thing, and I think you are very understandable. It's the behavior of the app itself that is so often confusing ... 

Yea, that bit about always going back to showing your added LUT at the top, rather than in it's place in the alphanumerically sorted list, is a right pain.

And that is what you're talking about, right? If my memory ain't as faulty as I hope it's not, this behavior has been with us for some time.

Hey ... @mattchristensen  ... comments?

As the LUT dropdown lists segregate user added LUTs ... so even if we apply them from the scrolling list, if you click on the dropdown thing to scroll further, you're back to the top of the list. 

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

I had this function available to me in the 2018 version of Premiere. LUTS could be scrolled through with the scroll wheel when they were placed in the "bad" place you mentioned not to put them. The program already allows you to preview the LUT, but it is in such a small window and does not preview/apply to any of the larger windows, making it effectively worthless. Doesn't seem like that big of a change to allow scrolling, but then again, I'm not a programmer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add that this problem has not been sovled since 2018. Worked fine when placing LUTS in the bad place, still no solve.

I don't want to have to continuously bring my exported files into Resolve just to get some decent color manegement. Making it harder and harder to justify the expense. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, totally understand. It's one of those things I just shake my head at, as I don't understand why this hasn't been changed to the behavior we'd all want.

@Fergus H  ... comments?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CJCARNAHAN,

Feel free to file a post in the Bugs forum about this issue. As the product manager said in an earlier thread, "Installing LUT files into the Program files/Application package is not recommended or supported. It will cause huge problems for you."

Sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kevin-Monahan , there's several Bug posts with the same question. Is it better to have multiple posts or just piggyback on the ones that are already there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way forward is to upvote the strongest bug, @CJCARNAHAN. I'll see if I can the product team to consolidate the other posts for the issue into that one, then all the upvotes could be added up there. If you have any handy links to those posts, it would help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the link to all the discussions/bugs about the same issue:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-discussions/no-lut-screen-or-scroll/m-p/10429081#M83776

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/2017-1-bug-can-t-scroll-through-luts-looks/m...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/can-t-scroll-through-luts-stored-in-common-folder/i...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/can-no-longer-use-mouse-wheel-to-scroll-thro...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/can-t-scroll-through-luts/m-p/10134574#M1786...

There's lots more but this should be a good start.

No disrespect to the forums, but every time this and several other bugs get posted, it gets marked as SOLVED when these issues have not ever been solved, which likely removes any ability for the dev/bug team to see the real issues here. Some of the "workarounds" don't work as advertised, and the only help we get is "hey there, I can't replicate this issue." Just makes me feel frustrated as a 10+ year susbscriber/Premiere user. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to be clear, Kevin ... it's not the location so much, as Premiere's behavior.

With User LUTs in the correct places, you cannot scroll them and get a preview of the effect, as you can with the included LUTs!

THAT is the annoying thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CJCARNAHAN,
Thanks for the list of issues.

So, about things getting marked as solved. They get marked as solved when the OP marks it as solved, the issue is fixed by the product team and they mark it as solved, or when marked by a moderator, or expert (often an Adobe employee) who has tested the situation. In this case, it is the product manager that marked the issue as "solved," because the OP was not placing LUTs in the correct directory. To be honest, this issue is more related to a feature request: "Bring back scrollable LUTs..." or the like. Yes?

It is not a perfect system but works best if when editors have a bug or request, that they mark their posts as bugs or ideas, not discussions. If the actual bug or idea is not solved, then create a new post please. Your situation might be slightly different than that of the OP.

In the discussions forum, it us user to user based. The product team does not engage there, typically. Any post intended as a bug report needs to be marked by the OP as a bug, so it can be placed in the bugs forum where the product team does engage. Only one of these posts you listed is in the bugs forum, currently, and it has zero upvotes. You can see why the issue is not yet a priority. It needs upvotes to prioritize bugs and feature requests. This system has been in place for around a year now.

BTW, we also have online support M-F, 7A-7P PST. If you can't get an issue solved here, they can usually help with issues of a troubleshooting nature. https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

I hope this info helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, this issue is more related to a feature request: "Bring back scrollable LUTs..." It's not a bug, per se. Don't you think? If so, I can at least route everything to the proper forum coming from Discussions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe there's a better way to phrase it. 

"Using the scroll wheel while cycling through LUTS in the Lumetri tab always brings up the BROWSE function and a new window pops up."

There's no way this is by design. Using the scroll wheel always brings up Browse, which creates a pop-up while I'm trying to select a LUT? That was done by  design? How is that not a bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate