Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Request for Adobe Premiere Pro to support WebM files

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe Support Team,

I am writing to request that Adobe Premiere Pro add support for WebM files in its video editing software. I have found it frustrating that WebM files are not currently supported in the software. WebM is a popular video format used by a lot of people on the web, particularly for online content such as YouTube videos.

Currently, I am unable to import WebM files into Premiere Pro and edit them directly, which limits my ability to work efficiently and creatively. It would be very helpful if Adobe could add support for WebM files in the next version of Premiere Pro or through an update.

I rely on Premiere Pro to produce high-quality content. The lack of support for WebM files makes it difficult for me to work with content that has been recorded or exported in this format. This has caused frustration and delays in my work, which could be avoided if WebM files were supported.

I believe that adding support for WebM files would greatly enhance the user experience and help Premiere Pro stay competitive in the market. Many users, including myself, would greatly appreciate this feature.

Thank you for your time and consideration of my request.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Export , Import and ingest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
12 Comments
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does any other video editing app work with WebM files?  Don't know, just asking...  Web programming is a constant battle between programmers trying to restrict download capabilities and users who want to reuse this material or save it locally so wouldn't surprise me if that's the problem.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so. As far as I have tried, only Microsoft's Clipchamp imports WebM files but it significantly drops the video quality. So I don't think there is a good enough solution out there. I hope Adobe improves this asap 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't think this is in Premiere's control...  Pretty sure WebM files are setup so you cannot repurpose them...   The only workaround AFAIK is to use a screen recording program like Camtasia (which is not particularly cheap but fairly simple to use - and there may be a limited demo available) or something like OBS...    and you may be violating copyright if you repurpose copyrighted material.    Have you googled to see if there are any other solutions to downloading WebM videos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2023 Nov 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like that ain't close to reality. I'm using VLC to create mp4 from Webm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a free plugin that lets you import and use WebM files. Full answer here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/how-to-import-webm-vp9-vp09-vp8-format/m-p/1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"There's a free plugin that lets you import and use WebM files. Full answer here:"

This link is empty now.  The only thing in this URL is a PDF that explains the plugin, but there is no plugin.  There is a link to the GitHub page, but that just has a Photoshop Plugin and then a link to this same PDF.  This is no longer a valid solution.

Adobe really needs official support of WebM at this point.  My company is using this for our Unity videos.  I can use a web convertor to do this:

MP4 to WEBM | CloudConvert.

But we really shouldn't have to.  Adobe is raking in the dough these days.  They need to listen to their customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebM is not a great codec to edit with.

Use Shutter Encoder to convert the files (before editing) to constant frame rate. Maybe try ProRes LT or even ProRes PROXY format within Shutter Encoder for easy to edit formats with 'better' files size. It's free but don't forget to donate, it's really worth it.

https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebM is an efficient container for video files, but a lousy codec for editing. I'm with MyerPJ on this one. You can batch t-code to a better editing codec while sleeping, at lunch, whatever. You don't loose time, and you get something that works well in editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I'm just interesting in just being able to export to WebM.  Which Adobe also can't do.  They released a plugin 9 years ago, but it's broken and the plugin page is full of unanswered complaints about fixing it.

WebM | Adobe Exchange

Apparently it works on Mac, but not PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding as a delivery option would be great, no question there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely there is another format you can use other than webm? Vp9, etc.. The way many of us edit, is with ProRes, DNx, type files, and export to the same. They visually lossless. Then you can convert that file to a delivery format, typically h.264, 65, etc.

MyerPj_0-1719347408464.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fixed the link and will repeat it here for convenience: https://www.fnord.com/

I agree that it would be better if Adobe would just support it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate