• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The option to have keyframes use linear spatial interpolation by default, instead of auto beizer!

Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects has this option, and for good reason! Auto bezier leads to all sorts of unintentional movement. This is especially newb-unfriendly.
This is Unique ID 148 on my spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dVJb7kI_ZETLavrplfARgn9gL8HUpvkq6A0jCPxqA3w/edit#gid=1133868...
Idea No status
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
22 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taran, Idon't understand :my keyframes use linerar spatial interpolation by default and not auto bezier.
My config:
Windows 10 Pro v 1709 (10.0.16299 ) uptodate 2018-04
Core i7-3930K/3.20 GHz 12MB 64Bit
ASUS NVDIA GeForce GTX 680 2Go v 391.35 03/27/2018
64Go RAM DDR3
Premiere pro v 12.1.0 (Build 186) French

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen! I was promised a "JDI update" ("Just Do It" in Adobe developer lingo) to get this feature added to Premiere at NAB 2018. A year later, it's still one of the issues that drives me the farthest up the wall. A checkmark to set the default spatial interpolation to linear in the preferences like After Effects would solve soooo many headaches and save all the time I currently spend highlighting the position keyframes in every edit and switching them to linear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding some links to other forum threads / pages discussing the same issue:
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1058733
https://forums.creativecow.net/docs/forums/post.php?forumid=3&postid=965843&univpostid=965843&pview=...

https://tutvid.com/video-editing/5-must-know-tips-better-smoother-animations-premiere-pro/

After Effects has the option to change the default to "linear," but this article doesn't even mention that. Looking through the comments, though, you can see how many people are affected by the issue of having Auto Bezier be the default:
https://greyscalegorilla.com/tutorials/most-common-animation-mistake-in-after-effects-and-how-to-fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere keyframes jump from Linear to Auto Bezier. I don't know when and why exactly, but when editing keyframes, moving them around or creating new keyframes in between other ones, one or more Position Keyframes, via spacial interpolation, is changed from linear to Auto Bezier. I have spent many hours trying to get rid of the unwanted movements before I understood what was going on! This is a big flaw, borderline bug. It should be fixed a long time ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just chiming in to say: yes please! Having to change to Linear each time I want to use keyframes on position is a major pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jumping in 4 years and multiple requests after the original post to say that I would also like to see this change.

This post shows a good way to implement it in the preferences menu.
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/40722268-option-field-for-i...

And here is another request for the same feature:
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/43949373-set-default-spatia...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this isn't an option. What a waste of time

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE MAKE THISS CHANGE ADOBE FOR THE SAKE OF MY FRUSTRATION, IT WOULD MEAN THE WORLD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please give us access to change the default options so we don't have to keep changing each keyframe's interpolation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for being four years late but you can just mass-select all the keyframes in a clip with the help of your mouse and then right-click and apply linear spatial interpolation to them all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Denys for the info, but some of us have hundreds of clips in each project and having to do that every time is a lot of time. I'm not sure why this issue has not been addressed with a simple checkbox or dropdown menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being able to set the default interpolation for keyframes in Adobe Premiere would be helpful. Currently I have to select each clip, select the keyframes, and set the spatial interpolation to linear. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree; the possibilty to change the key frame spatial interpolation default to whatever you like in Premiere would be a huge time saver!

I would use After Effects all the time if I could, but AE is a very blunt tool when it boils down to good old fashion linear editing.

If youre editing a full length feature film there may be thousands of clips, not to mention taking over a project from someone less experienced who messed up and can't finnish the job; you're in for some sleepless nights just fixing keyframes.

I'll promise you this: the day Adobe anounces the new feature of changing the key frame spatial (and temporal) interpolation default in Premiere to whatever you like I will crack open that bottle of Champagne I have been saving 😄

Sincerely yours,
Stargazer

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding my voice to the chorus. Please, let us set the keyframes to linear by default. It will save me so much time and nerves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it comes to actually addressing or clarifying anything posted here, Adobe sure likes being 'abysmally inundated by the sheer amount of creativity all of its users have', when it suits the exorbitantly priced software suite company. Not like it promises support when talking about the price of its products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg yes please it takes so much time to correct the interpolation and it took me hours to figure out why it was being so weird

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure to UPVote this thread, it's the numeric at the top left of the thread next to the Title.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2023 Dec 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wasted 14hrs encoding a text with beziar interpolation that I copied thry out the entire 3 hr project. After seeing the error it took me 2 more hrs to figure it was the stupid benzier keyfremes.  O m g ! After 6 hr if fixing the problem  I came here only 2 c EVERYBODY'S got this problem WTF ! 

To fix this problem this program routine must be very deeply rooted into the software or I feel they would have fixed it by now.  FIX THE FUYKIN THING ! FOR CHRISTMAS,  FIX THE FYCKIN THING. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2023 Dec 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and one more thing,  I aint a newbe!  Ive been using AE and PP sinc the late 1990's. I aint no rookie.  Something's are overlooked/forgotten when projects like I do are edited for over a month before I get to encoded them and watch for the very 1st time.

Then that really sucks when u have to wait 14+ hours to encode each of the 30 to 40 minute parts.  Only 2 find out Adobe forces benzier keys on u and when motion text comes to stop and what appears 2 b a perfect location with a static text. AND IT DOES NOT JUMP TO ANOTHER LOCATION ON THE TIMELINE.  BUT after u spend all that time encoding,  THEN U C THE MIS-ALIGNMENT.  AND GET FURIOUS.  why cant u c that misaligned text on the timeline if its there!?  Why?  Pee me off! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.  Such a frustrating default option requiring way too many mouse clicks to switch to what should be the default.  Adobe please listen to the many comments in agreement.  Been dealing with this for over a decade and I just cant stand wasting so much time manually doing this every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I c how they tried to work around this problem of the text coming off a continuous/auto bezier.  I wondered why when u use the up arrow 2 jump to the end of a clip it jumps 1 frame past the viewable end of said clip and that is where the bezier stops too.  I think this is Adobes way of preventing actually seeing the movement(jump into realignment) of the text as it comes off the last bezier keyframe and starts viewing the text in the next video clip which is in the exact same location but is a (regular) linear text.

I'd sometimes try to correct that little jump as it comes off a bezier keypoint by placing yet another keypoint at the last viewable frame of the video knowing that the end of the video clip is 1 frame past the actual viewable frame.  I don't know if I'm explaining it clearly but… 

O and another extra thing u must do with the latest version of PP is that when u open PP the preview window is at 100% now and not how u left if during the last session. Sure the last software update centered the view but it kept it at the same "zoom-in" level so u just had to move the zoomed in center back to where u were working.  Now u have 2 do one more step. Its not a big big deal it’s just one more thing u must do. All those little extra things add up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If u force us to use bezier keypints the Adobe U better use better precision rounding.  Like  rounding to .000001 ! I programmed CNC machinery way back when and if I didn't round to the nearest .000001 the errors would accumulate and without warning the CNC machinery would "jump" to correct itself.  Yeah, I understand the problem but why don't u do anything about it.  It comes down to two options.  STOP THE Bezier default or use better precision when finding text locations.  It's that simple. I think everyone would be willing to give up one micro second per event when encoding text then to have to spend hours finding every single text that u  forced us to use the freakin Bezier key points. What the hell is the matter with u lazy/unwilling  people over. there!?  JFC  get with it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate