• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turn off "Selection follows playhead" PERMANENTLY!

Participant ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one is a real pain. A lot of people like this feature when Lumetri panel is open, I don't. Is there an option to turn it off permanently? Currently, it gets checked automatically every-time I switch to the Lumetri Workspace. Seriously need a way to stop this behaviour!

Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
55 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Selection follows playhead" always defaults to "on" upon launch.

It should, of course, instead default to the state the user last selected.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Ideas as its not a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've fought with the same issue for what seems like 2 years.  I do NOT want this feature on, and I set up a single keystroke to turn it off (the ";" key on my keyboard), but every time I turn around, it turns itself back on.  So ANNOYING!!!

Moderator Note: References to engineering debug tools are removed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selection Follows Playhead is set to on when you open a project if you have the Lumetri Color panel open, even if you had it set to OFF when you last had the project open. 

Please change this to default OFF in either state (Lumetri Color panel open or not). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have disabled focus follows playhead but still the clips keep on getting selected when I scroll on the timeline.

never happened before latest update 23.1.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved! it was the 'Selection Follows Playhead' in Sequence drop down. Not the 'Focus' in Timeline Preferences.

thanks - Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same bug to report! "Selection Follows Playhead" KEEPS turning itself ON despite me repeatedly turning the *** thing OFF in the Sequence menu! Please, Adobe, fix this stupid bug! (And I'm not relaunching PPro - merely switching to a different app and back to PPro).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I hate this one. Always turns itself back on as I'm editing and I always have to turn it off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops...posted before I finished my thought...

I have never posted here and yet here I find myself...Ive been using Premiere for 8 years now and this is by far the most annoying BUG ever. I cant tell you how many times Ive had to revert a project because I didnt notice the focus kept switching to a clip when I thought I was editing an adjustment layer. Adobe can say it works as intended but if it works to the dettriment of a large subset of users..it is not working as we intended, learned or use in our workflow. Three times this morning Ive had to go back and turn it off which prompted me to find a fix immediately. Low and behold I find this thread. Set this flawed "feature" to remember our last setting and be done with it. Im getting sick of having to redo work because my preferred NLE thinks it knows what I want in this instance. I would prefer an acceptable fix over having to learn another NLE. Then again...maybe I'll just have AI do all my edits from now on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment, even having the Lumetri Color panel be a part of a custom workspace, even if it's not used in a session, is enough to turn back on Selection Follows Playhead at launch, which means you have to turn it off every time you launch Premiere. Also many might want it to not come on automatically for Lumerti, not so much that it's not useful there, but more than you have to remember to turn it off again to edit. So it should be a preference to change this behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you CAN turn it off forever.

Try to find the right how-to video on YT (if I post the link here this message will be deleted immediately).

Kind regards, good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have a look. (Found it, thanks.)

For now, I've resaved my custom workspace without Lumetri Color in it and that seems to work (at least in not turning it on when Pr starts). If I hit the shortcut to switch to Lumetri it opens where I want it. SFP turns on for Lumetri and then turns off when I switch away from the panel - this I think is how it was designed to work, which I can see is pretty useful and I wish I'd worked this out years ago. But it should work like this even with Lumetri as a background tab in the custom workspace, so this is a workaround.

Still the feature request remains overall.

Update - actually this workaround doesn't work in the long term, because once you've opened Lumetri in a cutom workspace, that custom workspace stays as you left it on restarting Premiere, meaning SFP comes back on. So I will try with the other method that has been hinted at for now and see how I get on with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works (sorry if someone already posted this):

Moderator Note: Link/text removed. Sorry. Please do not use the internal developer tool to change the application.
It is against the corporate guidelines and is a request from Adobe Premiere Pro engineering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, this Moderator Note ("Please do not use the internal developer tool to change the application.") is a good reference to the solution, which in turn can be found on yt.

Please do not change moderators text to your own advantage: edited: Moderator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an annoying problem for me too. I use tilde in the program window to look at the video larger and it's back on every time. It never stays. It's the only thing and I don't want it when I haven't turned it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's 11_20_23 and this is still an issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's 11_20_23 and this is still an issue

surprise :))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's driving me nuts. I'm not in the Lumetri panel, yet every time I open a project in premiere selection follows playhead is always selected. Is my premiere glitched? Is there a default setting menu somewhere where I can turn it off? I never want it on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Menu bar, Sequence tab, Selection Follows Playhead ... uncheck that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but it's switched back on every time I open a project. I think my premiere is bugged. Might reinstall, but not annoying enough to be worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how to turn it off permanently so it won't keep happening - this works!

[Link removed]

Moderator note:
Edited due to Adobe policy prohibiting discussion of use of the engineer's console on their forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jasony40939794 Sadly in PPro 2024 (neither release nor beta) that option no longer exists in the console. I've searched all probable permutations of what it might be called with no luck 😢.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to stay turned off in the Beta.

I just love this feature, have it always turned on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate that the engineers made this feature DEFAULT to ON and gave us no way to turn it off permanently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use 24.0.0 and it is in options menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate