Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mixing Frame Rates and exporting a DCP

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm an editor, and I've been handed a project that was shot over the course of 10 years. The initial footage was shot at 29.97 (the director had thought it was 23.976) and so the new footage was all shot at 23.976. I've edited a timeline in 23.976 using both media sources, but now we are getting to the point where we need to start thinking about an output for festival release and we will need to create a DCP. This is my first time doing a DCP project, and I'm curious what issues I might run into with the 2 frame rates.

Since the sequence is in 23.976 and we are creating a 24fps DCP, will there be issues with the output since there is 29.97 footage?

Do I need to convert all the 29.97 fps footage to 23.976 or vice versa?

Any help would be great, since this is a giant headache that is beyond my control. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shooternz​ ? You got any suggestions?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've converted videos at different frame rates without any significant impact to the playback or quality. My guess is that if you output 23.976 fps to 24 fps, it is unlikely that you (or broader audience) would notice any issues.

I would suggest not having Frame Blending on. When you increase the frame rate, frames will be added and frame blended makes these new frames a blend of the frame before and after (so a semitransparent overlay). This can work in some situations but not for others. If there is not a lot of movement in the video, adding frames without blending should look fine.

The best way to be sure is to test a different approaches and see what looks best to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup ... especially the part about test, test, test ... and if possible, see if they can run a test DCP and take it to a local cinema with similar screen-size & gear (if they can find one) for a quick test on cinema house gear, on a big screen.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In premiere monitor does it look jerky in playback? If not, the 29.97 may be automatically reverse 3:2 pulldown to 23.976. In which case, export out 23.976 master and import back in as 24 so that your timeline doesnt get messed up with syncing. If its 29.97, then rent alchemist od or try per clip optical flow unless you like judder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines