• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Substance painter performance degrades after a few minutes from opening.

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there!

Ive been having an issue past couple days coming from no where, my performance just tanks and makes both the camera and mouse movement very jittery. Can't put a finger on what it could be as I've never had this issue before and my ram/vram are barely touched, and nothing else seems to be bogged down on my computer so I'm assuming its exclusive to substance.

and here is my rig information just incase 
GPU: RTX 3090    Driver 512.15
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
RAM: 64 GB 3600 Trident z
Everything is running more or less stock on windows 11.

TOPICS
Bugs & Crashes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you check that your cache folder is not full? Otherwise, can you try deactivating the SVT in your preferences? 

GeoffroySC_1-1648554048218.png

I hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Kind Regards,

Geoffroy SC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Geoffrey!

The cache was definitely not it, I cleared it out and came to the same conclusion. I will try messing with SVT later today, I tried fiddling with my Nvidia control panel settings and I'm trying to see if that has solved it first. I find it odd that SVT would be the cause as I have had this feature enabled since it was announced with out issues in the past.

I'll come back when I have further developments!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried disabling the SVT feature, and it unfortunately didnt work, the issue still persits after some time. Not sure what to do now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed a post from 2015 that suggested turning off threaded optimizations in NVIDIA control panel, it seemed to solve it but I need to try through a longer session tomorrow, will report back tomorrow evening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello once again, unfortunately the solution i looked into earlier didn't seem to work in the end. I've also just tried reverting drivers to a previous version and just encountered the same issue and ive just about exhausted all my ideas on things to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to my tests, I have tried downgrading drivers to previous versions, uninstalling and reinstalling to another drive and messing with some windows properties, still at a loss with no improvements. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also get extreme slowdown on a Vega64 card, I'm not sure it's a graphics card issue.

Often things slow down after changing some layer properties.

Substance has always been slow / choppy compared to other 3D software. Viewport navigation often slows down. My only guess is that the way the layers + materials work is processor intensive, and something everyone encounters in Substance 3D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my solution resolved itself but I'm not sure it's clear to me. I moved my cache from one SSD to my nvme ssds and it seems to have done it.

I was at 91% cache disk usage before albeit with plenty of room left (over 100gb available) and the cache is currently on a drive with several 100gb's sitting at 60 ish.

Again I'm not sure if that is what it is or if this help for you but thought I'd leave it here anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would like to add to this that my problem returned , moving my cache seemed to be temporary if it wasnt due to something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know its been around a year + by now, but have you found a fix for this? I'm currently having a similar situation too, just more issues^(like crashing on launch, and not being able to re-open SP if i undock the windows to my secondary screen as i close it) and not just it being super laggy. I dont mind giving it a go too if you found a fix for it. I been trying to fix this issue for days, and I am out of ideas after looking around/ further testing SP out.  

Thanks in advance 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I have exact same problem. I tried reinstalling drivers and other solutions I found online also I tried solutions from this topic but nothing helps, sometimes after driver ceal reinstal + SP reinstall it helps for like one sesion then it jitters again ;c

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem too. Using an RTX 3080 , i9 CPU - My Substance is the Steam edition and pretty much performs as described below. A sample project onlu needs to be open for a couple of minutes before slowdown. 3D viewport becomes unworkable. 
I'd be very interested in a solution to this, my PC can handle a great many things in 3D, VR games, Blender Renders, Unity, Unreal Engine. The only app that seems to degrade over short time is Substance Painter. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My substance painter is also extermly slow and painful to work with , turning a layer on and off takes minutes on RTX 4080.

I'm so tired...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey all, I've been experiencing the same issues with a 3070 and a Ryzen 9 series cpu. 

Try this fix! It worked for me strangley enough... 

1. Create a new painter file, load in your mesh and set up your initial settings.
2. Save the file
3. Re-open the file 
4. No more Lag! (at least for me) 

Hope this helps 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources