• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All threads show up as read.

LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2011 Mar 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the CSS on the site messed up? I'm not getting bolded text for unread threads plus "updated" isn't listed on threads that have been updated.

sample.jpg

But some of the ones I've already visited are a little lighter blue than the others.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 176 Replies 176
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2011 Apr 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If one only posts of their problem, then e-mail notification should work fine for them. For those, who give of their time and experience, in an effort to improve the Adobe "experience" for others, it is totally unworkable. I would get 500 e-mails per busy day, and that is not going to happen.

I originally tried to reply to this message but I got the error which I have already posted above.  The message I wanted to convey was:

"Did you know that email can be viewed in "Threads" and you can manage your reading habits much better this way if that is what you want.  Personally I prefer to read latest messages first and work my way down thus ensuring I don't spend much time on something that has been answered."

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2011 Mar 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I would agree with most of the above "votes". Read tracking is very valuable. I was a way from the forums for a few days and trying to find ongoing threads is a pain. I have to click the links in the emails rather than just working through the unread/updated forum threads.

Is it just me or is live spell checking also turned off? I know the spell check button is there, but I did find the wavy red line useful when typing.

Using the forums can certainly be frustrating, but the eroding of "features" (upload files, bold text, and now read tracking) do NOTHING to enhance the experience or the confidence in Jive.

Niall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My vote is squarely with Read Tracking. Having been gone for a week, I probably have 500 new threads in several fora, and now have to research each one.

The performance issues from previous weeks were horrible, to be sure, but when Read Tracking was ON and working, AND the "normal performance" of the fora was OK, and something that I could live with.

Thanks for the opportunity to vote.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

Read Tracking (identifying threads with new content since you last visit) does have an impact on performance.

Vote time. Which is more important? Read Tracking or Speed? The initial hope with read tracking is that it would do something similar to the old system that kept a high-water-mark for each forum so you could just pick up where you left off. But it never lived up to that.

Please make this vote solicitation announcement on all the Adobe forums.  The audience here is very limited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob_Peters wrote:

Please make this vote solicitation announcement on all the Adobe forums.  The audience here is very limited.

I prefer Adobe to develop subscription service so that those people who have subscribed to a forum, should get all posts in their mail box and be able to reply and/or post new messages just by using their e-mail client.  Forums, IMHO are a complete and utter waste of time!.

I am not able to post direct from my email account despite the fact that the message says: "To post a reply to the thread message, either reply to this email or visit the message page".

Please Adobe-Admin, post the instructions clearly and succinctly so that we can make use of this facility.

I am amazed that people are making big fuss about forums when in fact nobody actually likes them so why waste time on this and instead campaign vigorously to have a proper system where e-mail client like Hotmail, Gmail and/or Yahoo can be used effectively and efficiently.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I am amazed by people who think they are the owners of some sort of divine truth...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DWILCOX01 wrote:

...a bunch of stuff...

An email interface?  Sure.  There must be at least one other user who is interested in that format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys are kidding, right? The forums do indeed have a functional email interface. You can subscribe to a forum and receive emails for each thread (just as you can subscribe to a thread). You can reply to messages to add to threads. The documentation says you can even create new threads, though I have not personally tried that.

DWILCOX01, you claim it doesn't work for you. You're going to have to give a much better bug report!!

How about telling us what went wrong? Any error messages? Logs? Etc.

But wait -- don't do it in this thread. This thread is about something else. Please start a new thread! Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Hawkinson wrote:

You guys are kidding, right? The forums do indeed have a functional email interface. You can subscribe to a forum and receive emails for each thread (just as you can subscribe to a thread). You can reply to messages to add to threads. The documentation says you can even create new threads, though I have not personally tried that.

DWILCOX01, you claim it doesn't work for you. You're going to have to give a much better bug report!!

How about telling us what went wrong? Any error messages? Logs? Etc.

But wait -- don't do it in this thread. This thread is about something else. Please start a new thread! Thanks!!

I have just posted my response to Bill Hunt via E-Mail and let us see if it gets through.

The irony is the addressee is : "forums@adobe.com" and I can't see how this can get to the right forums!  There is absolutely nothing else to distinguish the message apart from the message itself.

No I am not kidding.  OK I got the reply from the server that says:

The original message was received at Fri, 1 Apr 2011 17:19:37 -0700 (PDT)
from exprod6mx203.postini.com [64.18.1.103]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<forums@adobe.com>
    (reason: 550 5.1.1 <forums@inner-relay-4.adobe.com>... User unknown)
    (expanded from: <forums@adobe.com>)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to inner-relay-4.adobe.com.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 5.1.1 <forums@inner-relay-4.adobe.com>... User unknown
550 5.1.1 <forums@adobe.com>... User unknown
<<< 503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient)

Now tell me do I need to configure anything in my Hotmail account?  I am using the same email as the one I am using to login to these forums.

I really would like this to work so that I can avoid forums completely because I have already subscribed to the most relevant forums that I am interested in.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The irony is the addressee is : "forums@adobe.com" and I can't see how this can get to the right forums!  There is absolutely nothing else to distinguish the message apart from the message itself.

I'm going to answer you in a new thread. I don't understand why you would post about email problems in this thread. It is not germane to this one.

Please see DWILCOX01's problems with the forum email interface (hotmail).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob_Peters wrote:

DWILCOX01 wrote:

...a bunch of stuff...

An email interface?  Sure.  There must be at least one other user who is interested in that format.

I can't find the words you quote in DWILCOX01's message. Regardless, yes, there are many who prefer to access these forums through an email account. Just as there are also many who prefer to visit this site through a browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I for one wouldn't be interested in filling my eMail inbox with an endless supply of messages from the specific forums I visit.  But I respect those who do want eMail support.

It's not hard to imagine it all actually working.  This is the new millenium, after all.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My preference is to receive the email notification and click link to go to the actuall webpage for question. I only receive messages from questions and forums I am subscribed to So I don't get a Mailbox full of post.

I like this method because I use SeaMonkey which is both email Client and a web browser when I click link I instantly go to web Page.

Different Strokes for Different Folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My preference is to receive the email notification and click link to go to the actuall webpage for question. I only receive messages from questions and forums I am subscribed to So I don't get a Mailbox full of post.

I like this method because I use SeaMonkey which is both email Client and a web browser when I click link I instantly go to web Page.

Different Strokes for Different Folks.

Ditto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2011 Apr 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

be able to reply and/or post new messages just by using their e-mail client.

I would actually prefer Adobe disabled all email functionality and forced people to come to the forums through a web page for viewing and posting.  Email posts never show up properly, having that 72 character per line limit.  And they always come with those damned 'signatures' people have set up in their email client.  People often post the same thing three or four times trying to get an email attachment to show up, not realizing they have to come to the forums to upload an image.

No, reading and posting through a browser is the best way, and should be the only way.  If Adobe needs to disable anything, it should be all email functionality and turn read tracking back on.  Preferably NOW....PLEASE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSS1138 wrote:

Email posts never show up properly, having that 72 character per line limit.  And they always come with those damned 'signatures' people have set up in their email client.  People often post the same thing three or four times trying to get an email attachment to show up, not realizing they have to come to the forums to upload an image.

You don't appear to have used rather state of the art systems which are run on low budgets and yet have nothing of the sort you are describing above.  I can provide examples here (with the permission of other users) with links where you can see the system runs perfect and users can have the option to continue using the web based Forums and/or use their email client.  The system can trim down any signatures and/or attachments without degrading the message it is trying to convey.

You need to browse the web regularly to see what can be achieved with low budget and yet get highly efficient system to deliver cost effective customer support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DWILCOX01 wrote:

Adobe needs
to browse the web regularly to see what can be achieved with low budget and yet get highly efficient system to deliver cost effective customer support.

I apologize for correcting a quote (which is therefore no longer a quote), but this is part of what we need if we want these forums to work properly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please make this vote solicitation announcement on all the Adobe forums.

I disagree.  There should be no vote.  Both fast speed and read tracking are MUST HAVES.  This vote is like a car salesman asking "Would you like an engine or wheels with your new vehicle?"

It's a nonsense question.  Both are absolutely essential for proper functioning.  Same goes here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSS1138 wrote:

I disagree.  There should be no vote.  Both fast speed and read tracking are MUST HAVES.  This vote is like a car salesman asking "Would you like an engine or wheels with your new vehicle?"

It's a nonsense question.  Both are absolutely essential for proper functioning.  Same goes here.

I should have been clearer.  My response was for the case where we can have one or the other.  Naturally, I want both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob_Peters wrote:

JSS1138 wrote:

I should have been clearer.  My response was for the case where we can have one or the other.  Naturally, I want both.

My own vote (I chose Read Tracking) is based in that the forums are very slow even with RT off, The marginal speed gain is nothing compared witrh the nuisance of not having RT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have been clearer.  My response was for the case where we can have one or the other.

Still a nonsense issue.  There must not be a situation where we can have one or the other.  Both speed and read tracking are MUST HAVES.  There can be no option to choose.

Do you see my point?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2011 Apr 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSS1138 wrote:

I should have been clearer.  My response was for the case where we can have one or the other.

Still a nonsense issue.  There must not be a situation where we can have one or the other.  Both speed and read tracking are MUST HAVES.  There can be no option to choose.

Do you see my point?

This discussion was originated because Read Tracking suddenly disappeared. We were informed that this was done by Jive because of "some performance issues". A few messages later, we were told that Read Tracking does "have an effect on performance", and we were invited to vote which we prefered: having Read Tracking on again, or keep it off and retain the marginal increase in speed of these forums.

So this is not a nonsense issue. The question is clear, and there are several of us who have understood the question, and have answered that we want Read Tracking back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is not a nonsense issue. The question is clear

What I'm saying is that the question itself has no business being asked.  Both speed and read tracking are must haves.  I do not accept any scenario where it's either/or, and I recommend no one else does either.

By answering the question, you validate it's existence.  Rather than doing so, simply reiterate my point:  The question is nonsense, BOTH ARE MUST HAVES.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.  Both speed and read tracking are must haves.

The question is nonsense, BOTH ARE MUST HAVES.

Unfortunately, we have neither.  So perhaps the question is moot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSS1138 wrote:

So this is not a nonsense issue. The question is clear

What I'm saying is that the question itself has no business being asked.  Both speed and read tracking are must haves.  I do not accept any scenario where it's either/or, and I recommend no one else does either.

By answering the question, you validate it's existence.  Rather than doing so, simply reiterate my point:  The question is nonsense, BOTH ARE MUST HAVES.

You don't seem to be willing to understand that the question that we were asked was not whether we want speed or RT. The question is: do we want RT back, or do we prefer to keep the very marginal speed increase attained by disabling it?

I -and many others- have been complaining of the crawling speed of these new forums for more than two years. Now we have lost RT, and gained an almost imperceptible speed increase. I -and many others- do not care for the negligible increase in speed, but DO want RT back.

In any case, I see that I am not alone in thinking that this seems to have become a moot question. There is nothing to choose: we are most definitely not going to get an increase in speed, and we will not have RT back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines