Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Forum session login/timeouts

Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've had some changes made for session timeouts. Are people still having to constantly log-in throughout the day? Today I've managed to stay logged in without any forum activity for up to 3 hours or slightly longer. Has it improved for others? The login session should now be about 4 hours. It was supposed to be two hours previously, but for some accounts it might have been shorter.

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 234 Replies 234

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MIne seems to be better, but it's still annoying that we are being logged out even within the same day.

The other issue that has come up, for myself and others, when we get logged out/logged back in, the page that loads is NOT the page we left off on!  There is a thread on Page Refresh issues that addresses this issue.  (it happened again this evening, which is why I am bringing it up).

hopper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the logout seem better. but i'm still concerned that people WON'T be logged out while their ids are tied to the adobe store.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The store has its own timeout, set to around 10 minutes or less. So if you navigate to a store page from a forum page it should prompt you to log in, no matter what your status was in the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

The store has its own timeout, set to around 10 minutes or less. So if you navigate to a store page from a forum page it should prompt you to log in, no matter what your status was in the forum.

cool... i'll have to try that... if that's the case, what's wrong with providing a checkbox like google or yahoo (or even /.) that says "keep me logged in for 2 weeks" or more...? that was my biggest concern (with the combined logins)... anyway, i'll have to try that and see. i'll report back...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 04, 2009 May 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if that's the case... why log anyone out of the forums on a time basis at all? The go to the store... sign in there - you say it's fresh - great! They come back to the forums, sign in or not is, well a question... But, if they have never left the forums why should this perennial sign in hassle have to take place at all?!!

It really seems like someone wants to or is trying to play God... "Let the sign in, so they know my power!"

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get knocked of twice in a day.

early in the morning 7-9:00am EDT (depending upon when I turn on computer) and I was just logged off about 10 minutes ago.

I would be ideal if we could have indefinite sign it. But 24-72 hours would be tollerable.

In the webX system unless you choose to logout you stayed logged in indefinitely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote:

…The login session should now be about 4 hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes, I get logged out when closing the browser or putting the computer to sleep. Other times I can keep logged in for more than a day. Go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's better. I never did get logged out in the middle of posting, for instance, but often while going from one forum to another. I don't think log-outs should happen while a person is active in any way. I'd still like the option of indefinite log-in, as well as being able to stay logged in from different machines. If the store log-in times out quickly (I didn't know that), then surely there's no harm in letting people choose, as already suggested.

Again, it is very good to hear what is being worked on, to be told what changes are happening/going to happen/can't happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite often, a day or more...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sincerely trust that 4hrs is not going to be all that can be achieved!

It is most annoying to have to log back in and extremely annoying if it happens in the middle of a reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder what actual reasons there are for logging people out automatically on a timed basis - technical? other? I can totally understand the reasons for doing that with the adobe store, but not for a forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 28, 2009 Apr 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite... the old forums, you stayed logged in for months!

And no other forum, that i've been to, has a time factor... as long as you don't sign out, you stay logged in. This is hardly a high-security area that needs to be guarded like it was Fort Knox.... though now, maybe the security there has got a lot laxer with the gold being shipped out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I logged in at 8am, my time (EDT) i'll try the store... soonish...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clicked on the shopping cart ~9:35 my time. and it had me listed as "guest" at that point. although i come back here and it says "welcome [myloginname]"... so at least that (store logout) appears to be working, even though there's no visual indication of that when in the forums (in fact to the contrary it appears you remain logged into the store!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kept getting this message over and over again after logging in this morning:

Picture3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Kept getting this message over and over again after logging in this morning:

Picture3.jpg

I tried loggin into adobe .com (The store) no troubles.

I was still online for forums. I'll have to try when I get kicked off

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been much better for me lately, Thanks.

(Is it four hours from the last time you did something, or four hours from when you logged in.)

Come to think of it, I was logged in yesterday, and left my computer on overnight, and was still logged in. That was 16 hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too soon in my prior message. It logged me out after posting it, and editing it. That is frustrating. I would expect to be logged out at the start of the day, after 16 hours of inactivity. But to be logged out after a few minutes of re-entering is a pain.

I don't know if this might help John in tracking things down. Hopefully it will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE fix  the timeout mess!

I was logged in.  I composed a reply to a question in the Lightroom forum and was LOGGED OUT was I tried to post the message.

CRAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Four hours? Like Gordon Ramsay would say -- not good enough!

We never had to login to the old forums if the "stay logged in" whatever it was called button was enabled. Is this software incapable of this simple feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People, people.  Please be reasonable.  It is crucial that the security of the new system be bulletproof, so it makes perfect sense for it to log us out after a short while. We don't want others sitting down at our computers and giving out bad advice while pretending to be us! 

Points, people!  Think about the points!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesseham wrote:

People, people.  Please be reasonable.  It is crucial that the security of the new system be bulletproof, so it makes perfect sense for it to log us out after a short while. We don't want others sitting down at our computers and giving out bad advice while pretending to be us! 

There is absolutely NOTHING unreasonable about expecting the system to keep me logged in while I am actively composing a response.  This has nothing to do with security.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesseham wrote:

I solve that problem by having a master password in SeaMonkey I must type in before it will even download emails. I have to do this every time I quit SeaMonkey and either starte or restart computer.

When I go away from my computer even to go to the bathroom I quit.

So the security issue is silly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines