Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Forum session login/timeouts

Apr 27, 2009 Apr 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've had some changes made for session timeouts. Are people still having to constantly log-in throughout the day? Today I've managed to stay logged in without any forum activity for up to 3 hours or slightly longer. Has it improved for others? The login session should now be about 4 hours. It was supposed to be two hours previously, but for some accounts it might have been shorter.

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 234 Replies 234
May 13, 2009 May 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is most inconvenient and very unprofessional of Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Updated) test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You realise you won't see anything if you're the one who updated the thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2009 May 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Login.jpg

New twist to an old problem. Unusually, this morning I had been logged out in both my computers (Mac/Firefox and Vista/Explorer). When I clicked on the Login/Register button in my Vista/Explorer, I had to wait for more than two minutes for anything to happen, and I was finally taken here:

(and now I inserted the above picture after the text)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like the style sheet didn't load for the page. Can't really tell

without seeing the rest of the page.

And the URL looks like you are at adobe.com not at the forums when you got

that (adobe.com vs forums.adobe.com).

John

2009/5/17 Claudio González <forums@adobe.com>

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/3453/Login.jpg

New twist to an old problem. Unusually, this morning I had been logged out

in both my computers (Mac/Firefox and Vista/Explorer). When I clicked on the

Login/Register button in my Vista/Explorer, I had to wait for more than two

minutes for anything to happen, and I was finally taken here:

>

(and now I inserted the above picture after the text)

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John_Cornicello wrote:

That looks like the style sheet didn't load for the page. Can't really tell

without seeing the rest of the page.

And the URL looks like you are at adobe.com not at the forums when you got

that (adobe.com vs forums.adobe.com).

John

Hello John,

Not sure what you mean by "the rest of the page". I cannot say for sure now, but this is what happened this morning. I used my bookmark to come to these Forum Comments forum, which I did normally. When I got in, I saw that I had been logged out during the nightly shutdown so, in the main page of this forum, I clicked on the Login/Register button. After several minutes of waiting (I was busy switching on my Mac and checking my emails there in the meantime), all I got was the strange screen I showed in my previous message. That was all; there may have more similar items down the page, but I remember having gone down to the bottom before my screenshot, and I would say that, had there been anything unusual further down the page, I would have taken a second screenshot and included it.

After that, I used my same bookmark again, saw that I was still not logged in, and used  the same Login/Register to login without problems. And I'm still logged in here, althoughI was logged out of my Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2009 May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I have been logged out several times in both of my computers, and in periods of quite a lot less than 4 hours of inactivity. I would say this time it was less than half an hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was logged out *while* I was surfing various areas of the forum.  I went to reply, it allowed me to click the button, said "Welcome, greenjumpyone", but then said I was not allowed to post, that I needed to log in!!  Then why did it give me the "reply" button!?!

Bottom line, it is still an issue, even for currently active sessions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and a session timeout should be renewed every time a user performs an action. if the session is designed to last for 4 hours then ever time the user clicks the timeout period become 4 hours from the new user action... if it's not happening that way, you're doing something very wrong on the back end!

cookies are a different story. maybe adobe can look at renewing (or updating the timestamp on) the 24 hour cookie say every time the user reloads a forum index page. bob knows it can't actually make load times for those pages any worse, and it might actually solve most of the timeout issues people are having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 20, 2009 May 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest login/logout silliness for me is I'm logged in. I cme back after a bit and I'm logged out. I simply quit my browser and restart it, and I'm logged in! Go figure!

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 23, 2009 May 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT'S GETTING WORSE!

... and the forums are getting slower.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 24, 2009 May 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote:

We've had some changes made for session timeouts. Are people still having to constantly log-in throughout the day? Today I've managed to stay logged in without any forum activity for up to 3 hours or slightly longer. Has it improved for others? The login session should now be about 4 hours. It was supposed to be two hours previously, but for some accounts it might have been shorter.

John

Why can't we just do away with this nonsense?

Please see my post here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/437350?tstart=0

This whole login business is a farce. As you say you have to any way log in to the store a fresh... so what gives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By blaming this mess on John, you are being grossly unfair, and you are not helping anyone... Also, John doesn't need to be reminded of keeping an eye on what's posted in this forums.

Message was edited by: Claudio González

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

By blaming this mess on John, you are being grossly unfair, and you are not helping anyone... Also, John doesn't need to be reminded of keeping an eye on what's posted in this forums.

Who's blaming this mess on John?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2009 May 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JayJhabrix wrote:

Claudio González wrote:

Who's blaming this mess on John?

Well, I may be too candid, but I tend to think that if you post an agressive message as a direct reply to someone, and quoting that person's message, then your diatribe is addressed to that person. When you wrote "Please see..." and "As you say you have....", you didn't say that you were addressing Adobe, or some other person. Please forgieve me for misunderstanding you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Please forgieve me for misunderstanding you.

That's ok... And just to clarify again, it wasn't aimed at blaming John. It was just a question. I know he's doing a marvellous job... please see a thread where i thanked Kanguyen and him for their effort and attitude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had to log in again—the fourth (4th) time today.  What changed today?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

I just had to log in again—the fourth (4th) time today.  What changed today?

Maybe they are playing with their cookies!

Seriously though, this is  now beyond an inconvenience and into the realms of farce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After closing FF last night, I logged in, read, and posted. 8 minutes after posting, I was logged out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2009 May 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New twist to an old problem: I have just been kicked out of the forums a few seconds after posting a message. And, fortunately for me, the message was posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2009 May 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The login session should now be about 4 hours.

Why?

In the previous forum (you know, the ones that just worked), I could go away on vacation for a week, come back and I was still logged in.

This is as it should be for the new forums as well (you know, the ones that don't just work).  If I select Remember Me under the Login, it should actually remember me indefinitely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 31, 2009 May 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JSS1138 wrote:

Why?

In the previous forum (you know, the ones that just worked), I could go away on vacation for a week, come back and I was still logged in.

This is as it should be for the new forums as well (you know, the ones that don't just work).  If I select Remember Me under the Login, it should actually remember me indefinitely.

Already chewed over at length Jim. Check past posts on this.

Everybody hates the new situation.

(Also the "Remember me" tick remembers the password but not the state of being logged in.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

(Also the "Remember me" tick remembers the password...

Because that's a 'Browser' function.

John Joslin wrote:

... but not the state of being logged in.)

Because that's a 'cookie' function set by the website Which is where the trouble lies...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatively, you could update to the latest version – XXYYZZ – degrade your video drivers... and just go across to your favourite bar to chill with the tipple of your choice 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Remembering login state is] a 'cookie' function set by the website Which is where the trouble lies...

That was my understanding as well.  So why the hell can't Adobe set a login cookie as before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines