Just in case...

Mentor ,
Oct 01, 2009 Oct 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case anyone from Adobe thinks these forums are getting better, are more accepted now that all the knowledgeable regulars have been driven off and the community that existed has been destroyed. This Forum still su

cks, its slow ugly and a huge space waster. The dialog in the forums has turned into a bunch of lazy people who can't be bothered to read the manual. All discussion about anything technical or advanced just doesn't exist. thanks Adobe.

Views

33.1K

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 206 Replies 206
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2009 Oct 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, you are all unbelievable. You are honestly upset because I interpreted something differently than the OP intended? You are expecting an apology from me because I didn't understand what was written? Sorry, ain't gonna happen. I honestly don't believe there is anything to apologize for.

You see a flower and call it purple. I see a flower and call it violet. So I'm supposed to apologize because I described the color differently? Hmmm

How odd it is that by my clearly stating how I interpreted what was said, that I'm construed as "twisting the facts" and it caused such a stir. Everyone acted as if I edited the OP's lines to read differently. (Which, as a moderator, I could easily do. But would never do because it's wrong to do so.)

I still believe that what was said isn't 100% clear and may be interpreted a couple of different ways. See, if this were truly an area where mature and open discussion could transpire, it would have simply resulted in two or three exchanges. The fact it resulted in making a mountain out of a mole hill simply serves to underscore the real problem here in this forum and the need for the measures Jochem has had to use to try and bring order to it.

Note that I have not demanded any apologies for all the breaking of forum etiquette here by many calling me names and saying I'm all thick headed and the like because I see multiple meanings in what was said. I felt I was operating in good faith by simply stating what it meant to me. It was met by nothing but personal attacks, accusations and name calling. Then again, I cannot say with a straight face that it's not somewhat expected in this forum. Given the fact I've got the Community Expert badge near my name.

Cheers... Rick

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2009 Oct 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, but this reads as one of your usual sermons, in which you answer questions that haven't been asked, don't answer the ones that have been answered, and complain of the treatment you receive only because you happen to be an Expert.


In the message that I commented, you accused me of twisting the facts, and I asked you for examples. Could it be that you don't give any because there isn't any?


Now I ask you another favour: please provide an example of a message of mine in which I have "called you names". Or any other host/moderator, for that matter. You may not have noticed, but calling people names is just not my style at all.


There were also some other questions I asked you in the message of mine that you don't seem to have seen, which you have not touched either. Please remember that not answering is also a form of answering.


May I recommend that you read and try to understand message #165 above, by Günter?

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 10, 2009 Oct 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

May I recommend that you read and try to understand message #165 above, by Günter?

Hi Claudio,

I don´t think that the context of what I wrote about in my previous message is in any way related to the current dispute between you or others and Rick, which IMO is fueled by a mutual misunderstanding, but nonetheless is a personal dispute between you guys and doesn´t appear to tangent the community expert - thing at all.

Guys, please try keeping me me out of your quarrel unless I start to tread on someone´s toes

Günter

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2009 Oct 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, Claudio you are guilty in this post alone of what you are accusing me of!

You make an assumption that what I said was aimed at you and you alone. It wasn't. It was a simple generalization overall of this thread. Of this forum. And it further illustrates the issues here.

I have been given the distinct impression that you are similar to one or two others here. You see a Community Expert badge and immediately see a red flag because you don't like it.

You said:

I am sorry, but this reads as one of your usual sermons, in which you answer questions that haven't been asked, don't answer the ones that have been answered, and complain of the treatment you receive only because you happen to be an Expert.

That doesn't make any sense. Wouldn't answering a question that has already been answered be somewhat redundant? Or did you mean to say that I avoid answering the question that has been asked?

Cheers... Rick

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2009 Oct 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My mistake; obviously I should have written "don't answer the ones that have been asked". Also, if you write "you this", "you that", in a message addressed explicitly to me in response to one of mine (no other interpretation to "Hi Claudio"), the English language does not allow me to know if any of those yous means me alone, or the whole lot of us.


Finally, just as I have never spoken of "all the moderators" or "all the Community Experts", please don't include me in any of your yous (plural).

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 10, 2009 Oct 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

My mistake; obviously I should have written "don't answer the ones that have been asked". Also, if you write "you this", "you that", in a message addressed explicitly to me in response to one of mine (no other interpretation to "Hi Claudio"), the English language does not allow me to know if any of those yous means me alone, or the whole lot of us.


Finally, just as I have never spoken of "all the moderators" or "all the Community Experts", please don't include me in any of your yous (plural).

There are not too many in the US that do as well, unless they have been around people from New York City or New Jersey.  its actually spelled and pronounced youes (u-zz). Only ist not really a correct word though.The word You is unique in the US English Langauge in that it is both singular and plural  Example: You are doing a Good Job. meaning a specific perso is going a good job. And, "All of you are doing a good job." The Group (more than one) are doing a great job.

How do I know well, when I was active on in an Electronics Association we had many people from New York, New Jersey to come to our conventions. a Frequent term used was "Hows youes guys?", "Youes, sure do put on a great convention." and so on. These were Business owners. That is to not say all people from NY, or NJ speak that way but most from big cities would.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 10, 2009 Oct 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

That is to not say all people from NY, or NJ speak that way but most from big cities would.

PJ,

just to clarify what you said in that sentence.  Are you saying that not all people from NY or NJ speak that way, but most people in big cities do speak that way?  That is to say, most big cities have folks who use "Hows youes guys?", "Youes, sure do put on a great convention." ... in their local language?

 

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2009 Oct 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:


Are you saying that not all people from NY or NJ speak that way, but most people in big cities do speak that way?

Sometimes it's best to not try and decipher what he's trying to say.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Oct 10, 2009 Oct 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PJ has watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles too many times. They talk the slang and if you don't believe me just ask the Shredder dude.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 11, 2009 Oct 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

That is to not say all people from NY, or NJ speak that way but most from big cities would.

PJ,

just to clarify what you said in that sentence.  Are you saying that not all people from NY or NJ speak that way, but most people in big cities do speak that way?  That is to say, most big cities have folks who use "Hows youes guys?", "Youes, sure do put on a great convention." ... in their local language?

 

It's what's called in the US and I am sure there is a similar term all over the world "Slang". All I know I've met many people from Big cities of NY/NJ and they all spoke that way. I am not saying everyone from NY/NJ speak that way. But everyone I met from that part of the country. But everyone from that part of the country knows what people are referring to when the term is spoken, whether they use it or not.

It's like in the south we use the word Ain't which technically means "am not", But it also can mean "are not".

In neither case am I saying its good English or Good grammar.

Just like a friend of mine whoes wife is from Austria Told me ther Austrian people tended to speak High German. And German people speak  two version. High German  usually well educated people, many tending to be in Goverment  or in Education or professions (DR's Lawyers, Etc) use High German. While Blue Colar people tend to use normal German. I asked what the difference was. She said. High German use no slang what-so-ever, while normal or average  version accepts the use of a lot of slang. I am not saying it. She did. She said she could go into any government agency, Library or school and everyone could understand her , and her them. But out on the street depending upon where in the country and she would have a difficult time understanding some words, the people spoke, and they would have a hard time understanding her.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2009 Oct 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip, you seem to have missed my message #192 immediately before yours. I asked you to do me a favour, and you are doing the opposite of what I asked.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 11, 2009 Oct 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry!

The answer though was directed at Geenjumppy.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 11, 2009 Oct 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PJ,

It's HochDeutsch and PlattDeutsch.  Look those terms up if you would like to know  more about the two forms of the German language.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2009 Oct 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite.  Hochdeutsch is "pure" German and is not regional – a bit like the Queen's English. Plattdeutsch is regional, from the north-west of Germany and Friesland.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 11, 2009 Oct 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

PJ,

It's HochDeutsch and PlattDeutsch.  Look those terms up if you would like to know  more about the two forms of the German language.

Plattdeutsch is one of many dialects we have in Germany, and the "Platt" (means: flat, the context would be "flat land") dialect is only spoken in some areas close to the North Sea.

Günter

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 11, 2009 Oct 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Günter Schenk wrote:

greenjumpyone wrote:

PJ,

It's HochDeutsch and PlattDeutsch.  Look those terms up if you would like to know  more about the two forms of the German language.

Plattdeutsch is one of many dialects we have in Germany, and the "Platt" (means: flat, the context would be "flat land") dialect is only spoken in some areas close to the North Sea.

Günter

Interesting. I was just repeating what my Friend's Austrian wife related to me, of course she was translating the differences in a manner that an american unfamilar with the German Language  could sort of understand. I'll look them up.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 11, 2009 Oct 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Listen, Phillip.

Veermaster

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 11, 2009 Oct 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

PJ,

It's HochDeutsch and PlattDeutsch.  Look those terms up if you would like to know  more about the two forms of the German language.

I looked them up on Wikipedia and basic My friend's Austrian Wife was correct. HochDeutsch is translated as "High German" PlattDeutsch is "Low German"

I believe we are stretching JVD's patience verying off, so we should stop.

My appoligies for getting us off track.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2009 Oct 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For chrissakes PJ you have heard it from native Germans and someone who lived there for 30 years.


Wikipedia is not gospel, it's a guide.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2009 Oct 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

greenjumpyone wrote:

PJ,

It's HochDeutsch and PlattDeutsch.  Look those terms up if you would like to know  more about the two forms of the German language.

I looked them up on Wikipedia and basic My friend's Austrian Wife was correct. HochDeutsch is translated as "High German" PlattDeutsch is "Low German"

I believe we are stretching JVD's patience verying off, so we should stop.

My appoligies for getting us off track.

Phillip, I asked you twice, very politely in my opinion, not to continue getting the discussion off to a completely unrelated and irrelevant subject. It is also my patience that you have abused by insisting in going farther away all the time.

We are now 15 messages away from the discussion you interrupted, with a change of page in between. Should I thank you for your help? Do you think that apologizing at this stage is of any value?

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2009 Oct 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Claudio González wrote:

My mistake; obviously I should have written "don't answer the ones that have been asked". Also, if you write "you this", "you that", in a message addressed explicitly to me in response to one of mine (no other interpretation to "Hi Claudio"), the English language does not allow me to know if any of those yous means me alone, or the whole lot of us.


Finally, just as I have never spoken of "all the moderators" or "all the Community Experts", please don't include me in any of your yous (plural).

There are not too many in the US that do as well, unless they have been around people from New York City or New Jersey.  its actually spelled and pronounced youes (u-zz). Only ist not really a correct word though.The word You is unique in the US English Langauge in that it is both singular and plural  Example: You are doing a Good Job. meaning a specific perso is going a good job. And, "All of you are doing a good job." The Group (more than one) are doing a great job.

How do I know well, when I was active on in an Electronics Association we had many people from New York, New Jersey to come to our conventions. a Frequent term used was "Hows youes guys?", "Youes, sure do put on a great convention." and so on. These were Business owners. That is to not say all people from NY, or NJ speak that way but most from big cities would.

Please don't help me, mate.


I couldn't care less how people speak in NY or NJ, but if I read a written message addressed "Hi Claudio", with copious references to what "you" do or don't do, I think it's not unreasonable of me to assume that the "you" means just one single person: me, regardless of how people may speak in any part of the world.


And yes, thank you, but I did know that the English language does not have separate words for "you" (singular) and "you" (plural), and even said so in my message that you quote. So I would think that any polite native speaker of English should be careful to include hints indicating if s/he is using the singular or the plural, especially when addressing a non native English speaker such as me.


So, Phillip, please don't "help" me by changing the focus of the discussion.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2009 Oct 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Deleted]

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 10, 2009 Oct 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

No, to the best of my knowledge, you didn't have anything to apologize for in this thread. But Frater had, and he did apologize.

no, no, not in this thread, just as a general statement! 

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,
Oct 10, 2009 Oct 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love means never having to say your sorry.

(I did learn something from the 1970s)

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 10, 2009 Oct 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dec9 wrote:

Love means never having to say your sorry.

(I did learn something from the 1970s)

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines