• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow, slow, slow (III) !

LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2008 Mar 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thread with this name that was closed with no explanation did serve a useful purpose, so I am opening a new one to replace it.

Speed is back to normal now, and if there was a shutdown, I wasn't here to witness it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 574 Replies 574
Apr 04, 2008 Apr 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Sounds like whom ever has the servers, don't have enough. Sound from your banter they they need 2 to 4 times the number they have to keep up with traffic.

I don't think so. plenty of horsepower/ponies to go around (OMGPONIES!!1!!!11!!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I think it is a clue to why the pages load so slowly sometimes.

I bet you're right john. that's what it "feels" like to me.

been running good here since noon-fifteen. it's now 3:20pm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed when clicked on the link to receive this post That received a message waiting for Adobe .com in the status Bar while page was loading.

In the ones that come up instantaneously, there is nothing in the status Bar (use Seamonkey /FireFox) so it indicates its waiting for a working server to serve the post.

Just seems to prove my point there are enough ser4vers, for the traffic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be waiting for a DNS lookup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Just seems to prove my point there are enough ser4vers, for the traffic.

I think you meant "aren't", based on your previous posts.

and what you're doing is seeing an "effect" and assigning a "cause" without any apparent connection. unless you have inside information the rest of us aren't privy to.

it's raining today. i had toast for breakfast. having toast in the morning makes it rain. see how that (doesn't) work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no in the post that appeared to take a long time it was waiting for Adobe.com. In the one that don't take long its served even bore the message in the Staus bar has a chance to come.

No I've ate plenty of toast on days that didn't rain. :-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 06, 2008 Apr 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pjonesCET wrote:
> No I've ate plenty of toast on days that didn't rain. :-)
>

You must really stock up on toast on those rainy days.
Jay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your contributions Phil, but for the sake and sanity of those of us following along, could you please take a minute to proofread your posts for typos, punctuation and missing words before you hit "Submit?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 05, 2008 Apr 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unusable again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 05, 2008 Apr 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seemed to be only a slight disturbance in the force. it's was doing the same again - hesitant loading - but seems to have cleared up now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2008 Apr 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I eat toast with breakfast with, cereal, Banana, lactose free milk every other day and every other day eat some type of breakfast meat (sausage, Baloney, bacon, Ham), eggs over easy, and canned biscuits, with real butter, and some type of Jam. 😄 😄 :D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2008 Apr 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm... comcast has quietly begun traffic shaping, including resets and forging of data. wonder if this is related to the problems here. i'm on comcast. don't know if adobe servers go to (or through) comcast or if anyone else here with these weird slowdown problems have their traffic going through comcast.

this is the reason why net neutrality need to be maintained! by law if necessary if the bandwidth providers can't do it themselves!

http://systems.cs.colorado.edu/mediawiki/index.php/Broadband_Network_Management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave...

That's the first I'd seen the white paper explaining the details of Comcast's traffic shaping and packet forging, but I thought you knew about this from weeks (or a couple months?) ago. There were significant reports about it on /. and elsewhere.

Comcast has admitted to it, though they didn't explain the nuts and bolts of it like the link you posted.

And, as I'm sure you've read, Comcast has decided to partner with BitTorrent.org to explore ways of using the BT protocols and technology.
"from the Keep-Your-Friends-Close-But-Keep-Your-Enemies-Closer department."
;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>but I thought you knew about this from weeks (or a couple months?) ago.

no. this is new. previously it was only v. p2p apps like bitTorrent (BT) (which i don't use). last week comcast announced the BT deal and said they would stop filtering BT traffic in favor of a "different" approach.

this is the 1st evidence of that "different" approach. this is more protocol neutral as it's doing it across the board for ALL traffic. this is just plain wrong and against what the internet was designed to be/do. packet forging is "evil"! ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm certainly not on Comcast and I do see the most annoying slowdowns on these forums only. The rest of the Net is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a hell of a time trying to send an e-mail from somebody else's computer through my regular Comcast account yesterday.

I have done this numerous times before but this time Comcast was continuously dropping the connection and losing my mail completely.

I have no idea whether or not that debacle was related to the "Traffic Filtering" but it was infuriating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2008 Apr 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in Chile, connected through a local cable company (VTR). I am not aware of any relationship with Comcast. Is this an international company?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

12 seconds to open this forum, and then 37 seconds to open this thread...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plus 118 seconds to post my message #167.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the feeling they are just not bothering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worries me is the lack of official comments, except for two recent "not observed here". Not in the least usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last day or two the forum has loaded messages almost instantaneously. But sure as I brag the next will take 6 minutes to load.

I use a ISP named kimbanet. they get their DSL feeds from Embarq (was sprint). I've been thinking about going to comcast they now have (or at least advertise) a 16gb download, 768K upload connection in out area.

But with these reports I don't know whether too or not.

Plus the fact that comcast is PC support only and has a bias against Macintosh users. although we can get the connections fine. There is no support for Mac. (If you can get it to work-fine we'll take your money!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>There is no support for Mac.

Actually, Comcast may not advertise it, but if you do call their Tech Support with a Mac problem, I find that the person you are talking to seems to know how to deal with it.

They can walk customers through most normal connections problems but sometimes, they need to reset your connection from their end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>but if you do call their Tech Support with a Mac problem, I find that the person you are talking to seems to know how to deal with it.

I can second that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the slowness of earlier this morning, it seems to be back to normal now.

And the problems reported by some of us do not seem to be related with Comcast, unless one has to go through them to get to the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines