• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why doesn't everyone just ditch this place?

Aug 16, 2009 Aug 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start up 3rd party forums elsewhere for a few major Adobe products, with software that meets these requirements:

- Must work

(i.e. Any forums other than Jiveware. )

Everybody knows competition makes you better, perhaps that's what Adobe needs right about now.  Problem solved! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Aug 17, 2009 Aug 17, 2009

I'm watching the train wreck.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2009 Sep 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip's list of necessary fora

Phillip,

You forgot us poor schlubs on the Premiere Pro forum. What would we do for fun?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

Phillip's list of necessary fora

Phillip,

You forgot us poor schlubs on the Premiere Pro forum. What would we do for fun?

Hunt

Oh yeah! That one of the forums I was sumarily dumped in just for following a Thread.  I believe you were one of the ones that welcomed me to the Forum. I had to ask before I unsubscribed to the thread and the group what group was about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you were one of the ones that welcomed me to the Forum. I had to ask before I unsubscribed to the thread and the group what group was about.

See, we are not the Visigoths, that some make us out to be.

Since I also speak PS, AI, InDesign, PageMaker, Flash, Dreamweaver and a bit of Acrobat, I can often at least point the poor lost souls in the right direction with a tip, or two, and then get them the proper forum's URL.

I also realized that you, and some others fell through that same rabbit hole and were wondering what the heck a Premiere even was, let alone why/how they had ended up there.

I do wish that Adobe would look into the why/how so many end up in the totally wrong place (like wanting PS and ending up here). I do not know if it's road signs that these folk just miss, or if there is some incorrect pathway. Until whatever is afoot is addressed, I just think that the MOD's will have a bit of extra work (work that they should not be sidled with) and those forum regulars will just have to be understanding and helpful with their directions - "turn left at the Dreamweaver forum and proceed down the hall to the PS forum... "

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2009 Sep 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

I do wish that Adobe would look into the why/how so many end up in the totally wrong place (like wanting PS and ending up here). I do not know if it's road signs that these folk just miss, or if there is some incorrect pathway. Until whatever is afoot is addressed, I just think that the MOD's will have a bit of extra work (work that they should not be sidled with) and those forum regulars will just have to be understanding and helpful with their directions - "turn left at the Dreamweaver forum and proceed down the hall to the PS forum... "

Hunt

Hi Hunt

This is why we so often ask the OP how they managed to end up posting where they did. And all too often, we hear nothing but crickets in return.

When we began moderating our own areas, we gained a new capability. A refreshing one. We could begin changing the look and feel of our fora. Many of us posted links to other information. FAQs, stuff like that. In some cases, instead of creating our own content, we pointed to existing threads as there seemed to be no need to reinvent the wheel if what you wanted said was already said well. So we pointed to existing threads. The problem with that, however, is that the good user will follow such threads and the threads are in the Comments forum. They have done as asked and are now ready to post. But the Create a Discussion link is often the one for the Comments forum.

That's one major way I've seen listed. there may be others I suppose.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with that, however, is that the good user will follow such threads and the threads are in the Comments forum. They have done as asked and are now ready to post. But the Create a Discussion link is often the one for the Comments forum.

Rick,

That is a potential problem, that I had not anticipated. Thanks for the insight.

I also use the linking method very often. In one forum, I post many FAQ-like articles, but with much more detail for common situations. That forum's Tips & Tricks sub-forum is a great repository for those. Most often, they span a couple of Adobe applications, like Premiere Elements, Premiere, Premiere Pro and often Photoshop. To date, no user, new, or otherwise, has posted there from those articles, but I now see the potential. Some DO post replies to those articles, when they really should be posting to the main forum with their unique problem, but the MOD there is good at moving those threads, and we all explain the why for posting to a new and unique thread in the main forum.

We do get a few posts to the Tips & Tricks, but in all cases the OP thought that by posting there, they were asking for Tips & Tricks, not realizing that this was for sharing Tips & Tricks.

[Edit] We get about the same number of erroneous posts to the FAQ sub-forum, even though there are stickies asking people to NOT post there.

Still, thanks for sharing a perspective that I had not considered.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FAQs, articles and resources sould be locked with no opportunity to reply.

The originators and editors being the only ones with the authorisation to change them. (not even moderators – what do they know?  )

There was a separate thread for comments/suggestions.

That's how it was in the old Photoshop forum and it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

The originators and editors being the only ones with the authorisation to change them. (not even moderators – what do they know?  )

There was a separate thread for comments/suggestions.

That's how it was in the old Photoshop forum and it worked.

Yes, but those of us who had the power to make FAQs no longer have them, not even to make changes to old FAQs so they can be updated to include new software. That is stupid! yet Mod powers have been granted Willy Nilly to people who I never heard of before this forum change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but those of us who had the power to make FAQs no longer have them, not even to make changes to old FAQs so they can be updated to include new software.

I too see this as a problem. FAQ's should be evergreen as new formats, software changes, and the like can render them useless.

Maybe a "trusted cadre" could be developed? Otherwise it's a PM to the MOD.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

I agree with you. In many of the cases that I cited, the MOD has locked the threads. Though I do not have the power to make adjustments, corrections or addenda to them, I believe that if I sent a PM to that MOD, he would make the necessary changes.

Just today I added two tutorial URL's to a particular Tips & Tricks article, that was not yet locked.

I would like to see more locking of threads (where logical, as in this part of the discussion), but would also like for the originator to still have privileges to change, correct or otherwise modify those.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John

That's precisely what we did in the the two forums I help moderating.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote on 9/6/2009 1:53 AM:

I do wish that Adobe would look into the why/how so many end up in the totally wrong place (like wanting PS and ending up here). I do not know if it's road signs that these folk just miss, or if there is some incorrect pathway.

The most likely culprit is the "New" button at the top of the page in

combination with links to the FAQ. If you have not posted before in the

forums, the New button doesn't show previous forums, only the current

one. When the user is presented with just one option, he obviously takes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have not posted before in the forums, the New button doesn't show previous forums, only the current one. When the user is presented with just one option, he obviously takes it.

Ah, that is another conduit that I had not thought about.

I guess that it's tough to see things in the eyes of a brand new poster, especially one with a problem and maybe no forum experience outside of these.

Thanks, some good thoughts from the MOD's here. Maybe there are no rabbit holes, no wires crossed, just OE because they flew past several road signs.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a Photoshop Group on Facebook that was created and is used by many members.

A lot of PS lounge members are members of this group, but must of us are all on each others friends list and usually just ask any questions we have that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it is time for the forums to get a intervention session on A&E TV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2009 Aug 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great advice - Hi All, we have decided to take the continued customer service problem with Adobe to Facebook, we created an event where open discussion can take place, please come and join and be part of a much needed change in Adobe's customer service practices, everyone is welcome to give input, so please pass the word -http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=123258472738

Owning a small business, I have relied on Adobe/Macromedia products for years, have been a return/loyal customer and spent thousands of dollars with them. Adobe's non service culture has directly impacted my business-I have had to decline contracts because I am in my 4th month of waiting for a cross platform product delivery. What about your work, have you lost business or money because of a service issue?

On a hopeful note, we're looking forward to Adobe's customer care team being part of the conversation as well. Here's what we'd like:

Respectful dialogue, true incidences - sure be assertive just don't be abusive.

We hope to urge Adobe to improve client service at the corporate level.

Thanks all-

Cindi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines