• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Displaying Tooltips in PDF Files Created From .docx Files

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open the following sample .docx file in Microsoft Word on the computer, tooltips are displayed when the cursor hovers over the links. (The text appears saying “Click to go to …”)

But after I convert this sample file into a PDF document (by going to Save as > PDF) and then open the created PDF file, the tooltips do not appear when the cursor is put over the links.

Does anyone know how to display tooltips in PDF files created from .docx files? If this cannot be done with the use of Microsoft Word, can a text be selected in Adobe Acrobat and then a tooltip added to it?

TOPICS
Create PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

To add a tooltip to arbitrary text in a PDF file you can create a transparent (but not hidden or read-only) button field over it and then set its tooltip property.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add a tooltip to arbitrary text in a PDF file you can create a transparent (but not hidden or read-only) button field over it and then set its tooltip property.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I want a tooltip to be displayed over a hyperlink, will the hyperlink still work when clicked after the transparent button field has been created over it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set the button itself to open the URL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the following sample PDF file, can you add transparent button fields over the links (pointing to the different headings “Chapter” withing the file), so that I may see how they look like? I do not know how to do this on my own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go. I replaced the links to Chapter 1 with a button that has a tooltip, and which does the same action.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Is there a way to automatically create and overlay button fields over all links? Or can button fields be created only manually over every individual link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A script can be used to create buttons over the links, and then remove the latter, but it can't apply the same actions the links did to the buttons. Doing that would require a more complex tool, such as a plugin or a stand-alone application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you also know whether it is at least possible to overlay links with empty button fields automatically? (After that, I will have to manually edit each of the automatically created buttons.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's possible with a custom-made script. If you're interested in hiring a professional developer to create this script for you feel free to contact me privately to discuss it further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I need to create tooltips only in the table of contents in my document, I will do that manually with each title. Thank you for explaining how to add tooltips with the use of button fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the sample file which you edited earlier, you added the command Go to a page in this document. When I create a button field, I do not see this command among the listed actions. Can you explain how you added the command Go to a page in this document?

Vlad23546300ov6c_0-1650284964497.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's called "Go to a page view" in the drop-down menu of available Actions:

try67_0-1650285782766.png

Once you set it to a destination in the same file it will appear as "Go to a page in this document". If you use it to link to a different file (which is also possible) it will appear as "Go to a page in another document".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. Now I understand how to link buttons to specified pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines