• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to ungroup the text boxes in pdf forms?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am facing the following issue while editing a pdf form.

When adding separate text boxes in a pdf form and saving it, the text boxes are getting grouped into a single text box when the form is reopened. Is there any way to avoid this grouping?

Screenshot 1: Separate text box (blue highlight)

Separte text box.png

Screenshot 2: text boxes grouped (blue highlight)

text boxes grouped.png

Post moved from Commenting & Collaboration to PDF Forms [Mod]

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernd

We tried the same with another PDF form but the text boxes are not getting grouped. Not sure why. Do you have any insight on this?

Screen 1 - Separate text box (blue highlight)

Screen 1.png

Screen 2 - Text box is ungrouped even after saving and reopening the form

Screen 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case the distance between the text parts is greater.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bernd.

Alternately, we tried to include the form fields instead of text boxes. Alignment issues were resolved but the size of the pdf has increase to 4 MB. Is there an option to reduce the file size to 1 MB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try the optimizer in Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bernd. Was able to reduce the pdf size to 1.5 MB using the pdf optimizer. But, it shows that the size of the pdf size is high due to the Font that is used. Can you suggest any font, which consumes less size so that the pdf size can be reduced to 30 to 40 kB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the built-in fonts Helvetica, Times, or Courier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm done with Acrobat--going to look for an alternative. Adobe should be ashamed to put out a product as clunky as this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your issue, is that you are trying to use Acrobat improperly. Acrobat is not a content creation tool. The edit feature is only provided for simple fixes.  You create the document in a content creation application, then convert it to PDF for finishing and distribution. If you need to edit a previously designed form, then you need to go back to the original form and the tool in which it was created. I've been doing this for many years not and haven't had any problems.

So this is not weird at all. Acrobat is doing exactly what it is supposed to

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone besides me think that automatically and irreversibly merging text boxes that are near each other into one large text box is an assinine programming decision? I am continually baffled at how difficult Adobe has made it to edit previously designed forms and how Adobe has made Acrobat work counter-intuitively to almost every common convention in graphic design applications (even their own). I don't want separate text boxes merged for me--you can give me the option, but it should not be the default! We need a select objects tool that can select across layers and move all text, graphic, and field objects at the same time. Control + drag (or option + drag on a Mac) should copy the object as you drag it. I could keep going, but such conventions are almost universal across applications (at least in the Mac world). What gives Adobe?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a weird thing to do, but pretty much inevitable. It comes from the design of PDF, not a programming decision.

PDF files DO NOT CONTAIN TEXT BOXES for the ordinary text. It's just text. To make editing "easier" Acrobat analyses the page, and guesses what text boxes would be convenient. When you finish editing, there are no more boxes any more, only the text. So next time, it will analyse and see only one box where two were joined.

To add text box descriptions to PDF would change the rules of PDF, and Adobe don't make those rules any more.

The problem here is expectation. People see an editor in PDF and assume that editing PDF is a normal, simple process, rather than a desperate last resort. Who creates this expectation? Adobe marketing, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand that then need to join text boxes is a convention of the final output, but there should be a "Finish and export" option that leaves you with a editable master file and a shareable  (a la .PSD file and flattened .JPG).   Also the inability to group together a text box and it's associated text field, for positioning around the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!! I can't understand what the what??? why? Why are you working against me? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did explain in some detail. The problem is expectation: this is a very basic feature, not designed for editing complex documents or editing over and over. Keep the original,use the original, remake the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your response is rude.
Reread your “explanation” it is closer to opinion and you speak as if you can see what everyone is doing while using Create Forms. You don’t know that I am attempting a document you consider “over designed” I’d like my name text box to stop being added to the file header. I’d like automatic text groupings to not cut words in half. Automatic anything shouldn’t ever cut words apart randomly.
I like when my forms have checkboxes and addition subtotals and section totals boxed to be aligned across the page. I fiddle around to get those boxes nice and neat. Wouldn’t you?

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't the first time I've been accused of rudeness for just giving a correct and truthful answer that people don't like. Acrobat doesn't work that way. Adobe's marketing have overhyped it as an editor. Don't use it that way, or you will face a world of pain. 

Make the background FIRST AND SEPARATELY in another app, make it complete and final. Then add the form fields.

On the other hand, maybe you have new and entirely different problems, since you've now added "automatic text groupings to not cut words in half". You seem to have decided, though, that your problem is the same without giving anyone the chance to offer an opinion. Sorry, is that rude too? I'll try not to waste your time by annoying you with answers in future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's up to you Thom

sounds to me like this might be a good forum for you to learn about rudeness and politeness

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I get the advice to "Make the background FIRST AND SEPARATELY in another app, make it complete and final. Then add the form fields." It is not as easy as it sounds. I now see why there is dedicated software for creating forms. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just move the form feilds around to clear around the clubbed text and it and it will ungroup to independant text blocks again.  pdf forms need proper spacing. you can tweak the layout and space clearance in the settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's a nice tip. I've been getting better at using the program. The grouping or clubbing (I don't know what it's called) can still be a problem. I've noticed that the fields seem to be a bit "attracted" to each other - kinda like magnets or a "snap to guides" click. It's a great tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines