Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select default printer

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I use Acrobat pro DC (2021.007.20099) on my Mac (Monterey 12.01.1) and have the problem that the default printer by the operating systemis not selected from Acrobat.
The standard printer works fine from other applications and is selected immediately. But a different printer is always suggested for Acrobat. If I then select the default printer, it will be used - as long as the Acrobat app remains open. If I close the app and then open a PDF again, the wrong printer is suggested again.

Does any of you have an idea what I can try?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Print and prepress , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

I too have had the same problem, with Acrobat defaulting to my 'Dymo' before the default 'FX'. I tried renaming the Dymo, and that didn't work (the 'Device Name' retained "DYMO" at the front).

What did work:

1. Remove the Dymo

2. Add it back in again, but removing the word 'Dymo' from the printer name. Doing so meant that the Device Name became 'LabelWriter 450' - the DYMO at the front has disappeared.

It now defaults to the FX..... printer as it's Device Name is now alphabetically before the Dymo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

I had to fully remove the printer and add it again. On my Monterey, it appears to be sorting by "Device Name" and as you can see from this screenshot, that name can't be edited, but it *CAN* be edited at the time of installation.

The second screen shot is my Dymo, which I removed the "Dymo" from at the beginning to send it further down the line, it's the only way it worked for me.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 9.21.41 am.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 9.23.42 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

It's fixed for me as well on Build 20112!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 106 Replies 106
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, there isn't much that we can do from our end. Please check your network connection and group policy and see if that works for you.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all due respect Amal, don't you think it's odd that this problem suddenly appeared with about half a dozen systems (probably more) that were working perfectly well before?

As for me, my network is working great and I've no group policies at all.

Besides, in my opinion, the causes you mentioned shouldn't be affecting this situation at all.

Even when both of my printers are off, Acrobat chooses to use the not default one.

On top of that, other Adobe software are working perfectly fine in that sense.

Sorry, but I don't think that your solution is at all relevant here.

Network problems and group policies should have been affecting all applications and this is not the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can agree 100% with egeller7. Network connection has absolutely nothing to do with which standard printer is selected. And I don't have a group policy either. And even if it were, that would be very far-fetched ... because with all other apps... and also Adope apps such as Photoshop, the standard printer is drawn correctly.

Amal, it is a shame how you deal with our problem here and I would be nice if you looked for a solution here and did not pass it on to us as a customer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the trouble, @egeller7 and @Timo Goldau 

Is it possible we can have a screensharing session today. If yes, please inbox(Private message) Me or @Amal.   your email Id and we will send you a meeting invite. 
Let us capture some details about this issue and if need be, we will get our product team involved. Thank you for your patience.

~Tariq

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eli

I have sent you a private message, please check

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope that Amal will deal with the screen sharing and see what the real problem is here. I meanwhile have printed many small Dymo stickers with A3 tekst and images because the default acrobat printer was mysteriously set  to my little Dymo friend.... (aargh)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have had the same problem, with Acrobat defaulting to my 'Dymo' before the default printer that starts with 'FX'. I tried renaming the Dymo, and that didn't work (the 'Device Name' retained "DYMO" at the front).

What did work:

1. Remove the Dymo printer altogether

2. Add it back in again, but removing the word 'Dymo' from the printer name. Doing so meant that the Device Name became 'LabelWriter 450' - the DYMO at the front has disappeared.

It now defaults to the FX..... printer as it's Device Name is now alphabetically before the Dymo label printer.

It seems crazy to me that Acrobat is going to the first alphabetical Device Name, but give it a try and see if it solves your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No working solutions from Adobe yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm the problem using Acrobat 21.007.20099 on a Mac running Monterey 12.1. Acrobat always wants to print on a Brother PT2730 which is the first printer in an alphabetical list of my printers. When I deleted the printer from my Mac, Acrobat chose the next one in the same list. It definitely isn't choosing the default printer a set in my computer's preference settings. This isn't a network issue, and there isn't an Acrobat preference for any particular printer that I can find. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue and am waiting for a solution.  I have Acrobat DC Pro Continuous Release, MAC OS Monterey 12.0.1 with 2 network printers, Epson and HP.  The Epson is usually off unless I'm printing photos.  The default printer is the HP Color Laserjet Pro 477/mfp.  Acrobat insists on defaulting to the Epson printer, even though it is offline and not the system default printer.  This is clearly a bug on Adobe's part.  Is there a solution in the works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue is with similar printers, with different models of HP and Epson.

I've another Mac running El Capitan.
I need to see if it has the same issue and get back to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2021 Dec 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this helps Adobe: I deleated the printer at the top of the list, which is a HP plotter, thinking that it might be an issue, howeever, the Adobe Acrobat just lathced on to the next one on the list although that one also is not the default printer.  Then I reinstalled the deleted plotter, and of course it is back at the top of the list and the Adobe latched on to it again as the default. Just another information that might be helpful. Frustrating problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have had the same problem, with Acrobat defaulting to my 'Dymo' before the default 'FX'. I tried renaming the Dymo, and that didn't work (the 'Device Name' retained "DYMO" at the front).

What did work:

1. Remove the Dymo

It now defaults to the FX..... printer as it's Device Name is now alphabetically before the Dymo label printer.

It seems crazy to me that Acrobat is going to the first alphabetical Device Name, but give it a try and see if it solves your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Daniel22429051ng2q, it worked for me!

While it's a great workaround, I think it's not really a solution.

But, Adobe, In my opinion this is very important information for solving the problem.

Acrobat probably is choosing the printer by alphabetical order rather than using the default setting in the preferences.

Looks like a great lead on the way to a fix...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds insane that somebody deliberately changed something to make it act this way.

At least we'll save all those labels!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this was done deliberately. Many times a programmer can undeliberately mess up a program's behavior. You fix one thing, while, unknowingly, break another.

I just think it's a good clue towards a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it was a poor choice of words. I meant that it's something that really shouldn't happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Timo Goldau and Egeller7. I am on Mac Monterey and ran into the same problem. That temporary fix worked.

It seems that Adobe is choosing printers alphabetically, and that is complicated by the fact that it is seeing the first name given at the time of configuration, NOT the name of the printer after it has been renamed.

When I removed a printer and then re-added it, naming them at the time of configuration "1 - HP...", "2 - Canon...", or "3...", they re-ordered alphabetically and the printer with the name "1 - HP..." is now the default.

You probably know that 1, 2, 3 works for alphabetical ordering just as well as A, B, C.

Michael B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works.  I've been having the same problem.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not 'Thé Total Solution', but it's a damn smart one for now, thanks dswau! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't need to remove/reinstall the printers... simply editing the name in Printer Preferences under Options & Supplies to make it a name that would be alphabetically first, even as simple as adding a number to the front. I don't have a Monterey system in front of me right now to test, but it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2022 Jan 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to rename my printer, from ColorQube to Xerox ColorQube, that was unsuccessful. Deleting and reinstalling the printer, with the new name, however does seem to be working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be a Monterey-specific issue, as the my default printer in Big Sur and Catalina is correctly selected, but not in Monterey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are right, it is a new problem this default printer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't sure - as my version of Acrobat was released on October 12 and Monterey was released on October 25. However, given that we are all chatting about the same version of Mac OS and the same problem, it's not a coincidence.

Interestingly, the only printing issue listed at https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/known-issues-acrobat-dc-reader.html is slow printing.

I wonder if the Standard & Pro versions have the same problem - maybe paid versions get prioritised?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines