• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE Scripts Error: Folder.userData = null

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since a couple of weeky some scripts suddenly stopped working. I was able to tackle down the problem. I created a script with just one line: 

alert(Folder.userData) // null

I am on a Macbook Pro M1 / OSX Ventura 13.2. Problem appeared in AE 22 & 23. I deleted everything and only installed 23.2.0. 

Same Script works within AI and PS and outputs:

~/Library/Application%20Support

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Scripting , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

@JohnColombo Thank you for your suggestion. I fixed it on my side based on your idea. Here is what I found:

I opened Finder, toggled the "Go" menu, held down "option" and selected "Library" from the menu.
From there I saw that my "Desktop" folder was locked. Unlocking it did not help, so I deleted the desktop folder and created a new folder labeled "Desktop". My jsxbin files launch as expected now.

I have no idea what caused this for me, but I am ecstatic to see my tools functioning! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate
30 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

since i updated on mac studio, m1 max and OS ventura, latest AE, none of the scripts work.

Always displaying "Unable to execute spricpt at line XX. null is not an object"

Tried reinstall, using older versions of AE, redownload all the scripts, changing the general preferences and project settings... no solution found yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @FabianFriedrich,

Thank you for reporting this issue. What scripts specifically are showing these errors? Are they scripts that ship with After Effects or are they scripts you've purchased from third-parties?

Thanks for reporting this issue and for any further information you can provide, 

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Robert_S1,

Thank you for reporting this issue. Do you, by chance, have Dropbox installed? Dropbox has a feature called Backup that moves the userData folder for backup and therefore can cause scripts to fail as you've described.

Thanks for reporting this issue and for any further information you can provide,

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, 

thanks for your answer. I forgot to mention, that i already read about the Dropbox channel at the AEScripts Forum. No, I am not using dropbox or google drive. But I'm working on Sharepoint, which was never a Problem so far. The problem appeared from one day to another. I cannot remember any major change i made in these days. 

I appreciate your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

suddenly Ouroboros, Rift and TextEvo stopped working. I always get the error "unable to execute script at line XY, null is not an object". Different lines for each skript. I tried different AE Versions, deinstalled, reinstalled it completely. Downloaded the skripts again, installed it again.  I couldn't get them running. All skripts worked fine without any problem until one day. I am not sure, maybe it is connected to OSX Ventura update.

I checked the line of the TextEvo Code, it contains the following code: 

textEvoData.settingsPath = Folder.userData.absoluteURI + "/" +

So i created a Script with just one line:
alert(Folder.userData)

AE outputs "null". Same script works in AI and PS and outputs: 

~/Library/Application%20Support

So it seems like AE has no access to the Library Application Folder? Can this be the problem? Any ideas how to fix this? It really drives me crazy. Looking forward to any help!

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addition: Scripts worked fine in AE 22 for a long time, suddenly the problem appeared. So I updated to AE 23. I just reinstalled AE22 again, to double check. Error also appears in AE22. So I think it's a Ventura problem. 

I am on OSX Ventura 13.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Robert_S1,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We've had some other reports about it as well.

In the past, there was an issue with the Backup feature of Dropbox causing this same symptom where Folder.userData would become null. Are you using Dropbox Backup?

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JohnColombo , I opened another thread before and tried to get more answers of you.  https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-bugs/ae-scripts-error-folder-userdata-null/idc-p/135868...

So glad to hear from you here again. 🙂 I am not using Dropbox. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Robert_S1, I appreciate your patience and my apologies for the delay in my response.

I've tested accessing Folder.userData on macOS 13.2.1 and it successfully returned "~/Library/Application%20Support" as expected, so it appears there is another factor at work on your system. To that end, I've asked our engineering team what environmental factors could cause the Folder.userData to return null. It could be a bug on our side, or perhaps could simply be handled better to avoid breaking scripts.

Thanks again for your patience,

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i'm glad I found someone else with this error and its not just me. Well, me and my colleague are dealing with this issue.

I'm also having a very similar issue. I noticed this after a recent OS update. Now some scripts are broken and some work fine. So far I get some variation on "Unable to execute script at lin 188. Null is not an object." I've noticed this with GifGun, EaseCopy and Wayfinder so far. These don't work at all. Overlord plugin gives me as similar error, but it still works. 

I've done some searching online and see similar errors and others comment abut dropbox which I don't have installed. I've tried to reset prefs, uninstall/reinstall AE, trying out on the LTS version as well, and still same issue. Any updates or advice would be much appreciated.

Running AE 23.3.0, on MacOS Ventura 13.3.1 (a), on an M1 MacBook Pro. Cheers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI for me this issue persists with the latest AE 23.4.0 (Build 53) @JohnColombo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jamesg54021541 Sorry to see this is persisting for you as well. In talking with our engineers, it's possible this issue could be caused by moving or renaming the Desktop folder, or possibly due to non-Latin characters in the username (which become part of the path). It also may be worth checking if the environment variables for HOME, PWD, and OLDPWD are correct by using the "env" command inside the Terminal.

Thank you for any further info you can provide,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When attempting to launch jsxbin files installed from aescript's installer app (a few of the scripts are Joysticks n' Sliders, Limber, and BoxCam 2) they all throw the same error: "Unable to execute script at line x. Null is not an object" (the "x" is a different line number depending on the script). 

I have seen the posts recommending disabling the "backup desktop" feature from the DropBox app, but I have never installed Dropbox on this computer. Does anyone know what causes this error or where I can start with troubleshooting it?

I am on a Mac, Ventura 13.4, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that I am using the latest release of After Effects (23.4)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@FabianFriedrich and @JacobACrocker,

I've merged both of your reports into this existing one for better tracking. We are investigating this issue to determine the root cause and whether we can make any fix on our side to prevent this from happening. We haven't yet been able to reproduce it on our side, so any additional information you can provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks for reporting and for any further info you can offer,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'm happy to provide any information you think might be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohnColombo Thank you for your suggestion. I fixed it on my side based on your idea. Here is what I found:

I opened Finder, toggled the "Go" menu, held down "option" and selected "Library" from the menu.
From there I saw that my "Desktop" folder was locked. Unlocking it did not help, so I deleted the desktop folder and created a new folder labeled "Desktop". My jsxbin files launch as expected now.

I have no idea what caused this for me, but I am ecstatic to see my tools functioning! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, @JacobACrocker! I'm glad that you were able to get them running again. The locking of the Desktop folder is an interesting clue, any idea how that could have happened? E.g. is this computer managed by IT?

Thanks again,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @JacobACrocker,

first of all I am really kinda happy 🙈 that you have the same problem as me. At least I am not alone anymore. 

I just deleted the whole Cloud and completely reset my Macbook, cause nobody was able to help me. Unfortunately that didn't help.

Could you really fix the Prob by deleting the "desktop" Folder?! How did you come up with this idea? I couldn't find anything on the subject because no one seemed to have these problems.

I just tried to do the same like you. Opened the finder - go to library (by holding ctrl), but I cannot even find a "Desktop" or "Schreibtisch" Directory in my Library. 

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-26 um 10.48.27.pngBildschirmfoto 2023-05-26 um 10.51.49.png

When I wanted to reset my Mac I recognized that my "Schreibtisch / Desktop Folder" was an alias, which confused me 🤨. Before resetting my Mac, I moved the whole Folder to my OneDrive, because my IT told me I cannot make a Backup with Time Machine.  So after the reset, it seems like my Desktop is still only on the OneDrive 😵💫 which really confuses me, cause I thought it will create a new one when resetting the Mac. So any Ideas what I should do now? 

Thanks 

FYI @JohnColombo 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JacobACrocker @JohnColombo 

So finally, i got it! 🥳🥳🥳 Thank you so much! I deleted the Desktop Folder on One Drive, created a new Desktop-Folder in the Library, and couldn't believe it, but when I started AE and tried the Scripts/Plugins, they really work again. 🥰 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohnColombo Daniel here, one of Roberts "IT people". In the case of Robert, the Desktop folder was / is redirected to OneDrive as it is policy at our company. For now it seems he deleted his Desktop folder, created a new one and OneDrive doesn't seem to be aware of it (yet?). 

In any case I find it very confusing that an Adobe Script is not able to run, if something is, let's say "going on" with the Desktop folder. That shouldn't cause such an issue and a colleague do be not able to work anymore.. So please fix this as a local only used desktop is not a workaround we can live with very long, to be honest..

Regards

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be exactly what I was experiencing as my computer is managed by IT with OneDrive. I have since temporarily disabled OneDrive and all seems to be working well for the moment. Glad you got your scripts working Robert!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying @JohnColombo. I've been at the end of a production deadline so catching up on updates to this. Very interesting as my machine is also managed by at IT team and I would say strict requirements. They also use OneDrive and recently starting backing up the Desktop and MyDocuments by default via OneDrive (on Mac). I have yet to try any of the suggestions below, but wanted to update you on the similar setup here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I noticed the Desktop and Documents folder now points to a location within the OneDrive directory. i.e the Documents folder when viewed in finder has a shortcut which points to:

../Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive-Deloitte(O365D)/Documents

Seems to be changed now that OneDrive backs up those files. And for me its certainly a policy change in terms of how Onedrive functions on my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate