• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 2023 Error Message "Mercury 3D is not supported by the current hardware"

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have uploaded the error message.
Please advise us on which type of hardware we have to update.

Untitled-1.jpg

Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Hi all,

This is unexpected behavior and has been reported. It'll not affect the After Effects functionally, and you can choose Never Again in the dialogue box to stop seeing it at every launch.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

It is expected in AE Beta builds but not in the non-Beta builds. We are going to fix that with the next release. We are also going to improve the error message so you know if it's due to the generation of GPU card in use, or the amount of GPU VRAM, etc., so you will know what action to take. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
23 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without any info about your system, in particular your current graphics hardware, nobody can tell you what needs to be adjusted or updated. You need to be much more specific.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your graphic card driver the latest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz

Installed RAM: 64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)

Display Adapter: NVIDIA QUADRO K620

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz

Installed RAM: 64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)

Display Adapter: NVIDIA QUADRO K620

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recently updated to v. 23.6 myself and get this same exact warning, which is strange, since the version before it (23.5) was just fine (though it did things like "draft 3D"...poorly; pretty sure I'd prefer OpenCL anyway, since that's much faster). I confirmed this once more by going back to 23.5 briefly; I do not get the error. But once I update to 23.6 once more, the warning pops up once again.

This is on my rather meager laptop; haven't tried on my main system yet, but they both use Intel GPUs. (The laptop uses Xe; the desktop uses Arc.)

EDITED TO ADD: I've also tried different drivers from Intel; the latest (4577) to the version before it.(4575).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This is unexpected behavior and has been reported. It'll not affect the After Effects functionally, and you can choose Never Again in the dialogue box to stop seeing it at every launch.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error message leaked from beta into the 23.x release builds. It should not have appeared. 

If you are running a 24.0 beta build and you see this message, then your video hardware (NVIDIA QUADRO K620 -- 2GB VRAM) does not meet the minimum requirements for "Advanced 3D" (4GB). This has nothing to do with CPU or system RAM.

See this post:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-beta-discussions/3d-model-import-new-v2-faq-and-documen...

• System Requirements
  • The Mercury 3D renderer requires a GPU with at least 4GB of VRAM. On Windows, the GPU must support Direct 3D feature level 11.1 or higher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you see the post of your colleagueTom Olsen ?

Just one day after your post

You say - This is unexpected behavior

He says - This is expected behavior

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Umm...

1.jpg

Anyhoo, it's not that much an issue, because Mercury 3D is trash. OpenCL works better on both my systems. (Also: LOL on "Mercury 3D composition renderer is a high-quality, performance-oriented 3D renderer.") Now if I can just figure out why the Cinema 4D renderer is suddenly causing me issues, we might get somewhere.

2.jpg 

(It figures that just as I'm getting to know After Effects is when things go kablooey for unexplained reasons, as just a version ago it was working fine.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is expected in AE Beta builds but not in the non-Beta builds. We are going to fix that with the next release. We are also going to improve the error message so you know if it's due to the generation of GPU card in use, or the amount of GPU VRAM, etc., so you will know what action to take. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@War Unicorn The Mercury 3D engine is not the same thing as OpenCL. OpenCL is the display/effects compute technology. Mercury 3D is a new rendering engine specifically for 3D object import and rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting this same error, and AE crashes each time I open it in Windows 10.  I am not using any 3d functionality.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz,  32 gigs of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce MX250.  Is my video card no longer sufficient for AE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the GPU should be ok, but if it is crashing After Effects, I'd start with making sure your video drivers are up to date. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is also an issue for me and i dont know whats causing it what do i do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a valid message, however it should only be showing up in Beta builds right now. Unfortunately the dialog is currently exposed in 23.6. So you can ignore for now, but if you want to use the new 3D Workspace that's in beta or in the non-beta when it releases, you'll need to upgrade your GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you know when the new 3d workspace will be released?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, mostly because internally we aren't 100% sure when we'll be done. The rest of AE will continue to work, but the 3D workspace/Advanced 3D engine just won't be accessible if the GPU can't support it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, does it mean that it´s not possible anymore to use the integrated gpu (intel iris) to import 

3d files? It worked fine before, until i did an update of After effects beta. Unfortunatly i can´t find the older version to reinstall it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nikolaus26426854ck4a Native 3D model import now requires a dedicated GPU with 4GBs of VRAM available. So you can still use the rest of AE, but unsupported GPUs won't support the 3D model import and rendering. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2023 Sep 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any chance that i could reinstall the old beta after effects version that worked without a dedicated gpu? Where can i find it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only available builds are in CCD, but I don't think we keep the older Beta builds available. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After effects is automatically close after clicking on once per session or never again can anyone help

Votes

Translate

Translate