Exit

Audio un-synced during playback.

Contributor ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ver 23.6

Mac Os X Ventura 13.4.1 (22F82)

hardware: 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W, AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16 GB, 96 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

problem: playback of audio (wav files) does not line up with the time scrubber. The longer the comp duration the worse it gets. 

steps:

1. import a Wav file,

2. create a brand new Comp that only conatins the wav file.

3. display the waveform.

4. drag the time scrubber out to a spot where there's some silence (the best way to identify problems with sync.)

5. play and watch that the silence is where the waveform says it is. 

expected results: audio playback locked to the waveforem.

actual results: audio playback is not synced to the layer. 

my tests show that the time offset for audio, is VARIABLE, but it's always wrong.

rendering is not tested, but since the entire comp is cached, you can expect it to be the case. 

if this is not obvious from the description... This is a show stopper bug.

Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Hi @ebluBeta,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We aren't able to reproduce this on our test systems using any .wav files. What length of .wav file exhibits this behavior on your system? And what are the composition settings being used?

Thanks for reporting this issue and for any further information you can provide, 

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
5 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ebluBeta,

Thank you for reporting this issue. We aren't able to reproduce this on our test systems using any .wav files. What length of .wav file exhibits this behavior on your system? And what are the composition settings being used?

Thanks for reporting this issue and for any further information you can provide, 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 4.33.13 PM.png

if it's not clear: 8 minutes 38 seconds and change is the length of the wav file. but the issue is not limited to a specific length. I've documented it in a number of older projects with shorter wav files, that used to work just fine.

and now I can confirm that this is isolated to the latest version of AE.

it looks very much like solids with in and out points around the time of the sync issues affects the amount of the offset of the sync. 

and this might be an important breadcrumb: you've had this bug several times in the past. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the website is not showing my reply. can you see it? it included a screen shot of my comp settings. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that image of the composition settings, @ebluBeta. Yes, it did come through.

I will try with a file of similar length today and see if the issue reproduces for us as well.

You mentioned this issue is isolated to the latest version of After Effects (currently 23.6), but then also mentioned that this has occurred in the past, which seems contradictory. To each: how did you determine that this only occurs in the latest version, and also, what previous versions exhibited this issue?

Thanks again for any further information you can provide, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi john, 

I no longer have access to the previous versions that exhibited this behavior. What I was saying is that at some point, someone fixed this bug, only to have it creep back in. I'm sure you understand how a large team could accidentally wipe out an important bug fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate