• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Final Render makes my rotoscoped subject appear black

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2023 Jun 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working on creating a star wars hologram effect in after effects and had a cutout of a character from a scene that I rotoscoped. During previews of it in the program itself it appeared fine, but when exported, some frames have the character's cutout appearing black. Tried rendering it in different formats and codecs and didn't work. Clearing the cache also didn't work and trying to remove the masks I used for the glow effect I used for the hologram (I thought the masks might be to blame) also didn't work. Thanks to anyone that has the solution in advance.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Compositing and VFX , Import and export , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
2 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2023 Jun 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is happening on random frames, my first guess would be a decoding issue of the source footage.  What format is the source footage?  If its not already, try converting it to a reliable production format and replacing the footage in your project.

Also, try turning off Hardware Decoding and Multiframe Rendering to see if it helps.

Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 11.56.36 am.png

Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 11.56.57 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey! Thanks for the reply and your recommendations.

Disabling the harware accelerated decoding unfortunetely didn't work and it seems I never had multiframe rendering enabled to begin with. The footage of the rotoscoped character is just a standard MP4 file with H.264 as it's codec. On the bright side, changing my bpc from 32 to 8 seemed to have fixed the issue all though I had to tweak some parameters to make it look like the original version. I'm still confused as to how this may have fixed it, and if you have any idea as to why, please let me know as I want to learn as much as possible so I can solve these kinds of issues easier in the future. It just doesn't make any sense to me as to how changing the bps can have an impact on just one clip. If any other ways of fixing this issue even with 32 bps enabled please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate