• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hand tool not working when using Cryptomatte Plugin

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to report a bug. When 3D Channel -> Cryptomatte plugin is active the Hand Tool is not working which to me is very annoying. In this particular EXR I've got plenty of objects and I'd like to use the hand tool to pan around the viewport to select the ones I need for matte. It also doesn't work when pressing SPACE. However, when click off to deselect Cryptomatte plugin, Hand Tool works so I can move around in the viewport but I feel this is an unnecessary additional step just to find the objects I'm looking for. Please could you fix this?

Thanks.

I'm on AE 23.1

Thank you.

Peter

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Compositing and VFX

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
9 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Peter Bokor,

Thank you for reporting this issue. Paging @fnordware to take a look at what might be going on here and/or offer insight.

Cheers,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @JohnColombo , appreciate it.

Regards,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JohnColombo ,

Have you got any updates on this one?

Thank you.

Regards.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies, @Peter Bokor, we don't have any further information about this. Our partner @fnordware developed the EXR/Cryptomatte plug-in, so they would be the best person to answer this question and let us know if this is something that needs to be updated in the plug-in or is a general issue in After Effects.

Cheers,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 06, 2023 May 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think there's anything I can do from the plug-in side. I just tell AE I accept clicks in the comp window and when the Cryptomatte plug-in is selected, it passes those to me. I don't think I can tell AE to use its own move tool if the space bar is held down, but AE could probably do that if it wanted. Might be a good feature request.

To get back to the hand tool quickly you can either deselect the Cryptomatte plug-in or turn off Show Layer Controls (Command-Shift-H). The latter can be dangrous because people later wonder why clicking in Crytomatte and other things doesn't work, forgetting they turned it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@fnordware Thanks for your response.

@JohnColombo Is this something the team could take a look at?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@fnordware the click handler has a field to indicate whether or not your plug-in has handled the event and therefore whether AE should continue processing it. there is also a suite PF_HelperSuite1 to ask for the currently selected AE tool. In this case, you would just leave the PF_EO_HANDLED_EVENT bit cleared in event_extra->evt_out_flags when the hand tool is picked and AE would happily take over the unhandled event.

We use this lots internally so pretty sure it should work for you. Feel free to contact me offline (you know how to reach me) if you have further questions 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, @DanielWilk_Ch, you sure know a lot about After Effects. 😜 I guess most plug-ins should only handle clicks when the Arrow tool is active? Didn't see any SDK samples using HelperSuite, but happy to do it. Commit here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can we expect the fix to appear in one of the upcoming releases of AE ? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate