Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

100% opaque layers suddenly become semi-transparent in AfterEffectsCC

New Here ,
Oct 03, 2019 Oct 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AfterEffects SOS!

I am having the weirdest issue with layers randomly becoming transparent in AfterEffects.
The layers are originally created in Illustrator and imported into AfterEffects. They have no opacity settings on them.
All the layers have no transparency effects on them in AfterEffects.
The file and layers have 3D camera effects (X axis) on them - this may have something to do with it.

Sometimes when I open the file, it's restored. Other times, the layers come out semi-transparent.
I cleared out the cache and memory and that seemed to work once. But now it no longer fixes the issue.

I'm completely stumped. I don't know if it's a hardware issue or a bug in AfterEffects.

I have attached pictures of what it SHOULD look like, what it's coming out like and the layers/settings.

You can see the 'Ring' 'Ring' and the phone is semi-transparent, but the rest of the scene is not. All elements have been imported from the same Illustrator file.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Thank you for posting this!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the layer or graphic in Illustrator does not have a Blending Mode applied. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the blend mode suggestion doesn't work, Reset (aka Trash) your Preferences.  There's an easily-found thread on how to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm two years late to this party, but I found the same problem.  I imported a list of layers from Illustrator and this morning, some were randomly transparent (maybe 50%).  Trashed prefs - nothing.

I fixed it by purging the disk cache and re-rendering the frame.  You can spot-check it by changing the preview resolution to a different value.

Anyways, it's some bug, but it's working now.  I'll repost if it breaks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uploaded screenshots that do not show us the modified properties of the problem layers are useless in diagnosing problems. Screenshots that are not embedded are a pain to look at and sometimes don't even show up.

Try this; make sure that the modes and switches columns are visible in the timeline by enabling the first two icons at the bottom left corner of the timeline panel, select the problem layers and press 'uu' to reveal all modified properties, then post a screenshot. 

You should also let us know something about your source files.

* The "Drag & Drop here..." area is buggy and should not be used to share images. Please use the toolbar or just drag your images to the reply field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The main reason why this happens is due to the way After Effects interprets the alpha channel on formats that support transparency such as a .tiff. Just choose the layer that's giving you that problem, right-click > interpret footage > main and under alpha choose ignore.

This should solve your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My after effects started doing a thing where all my shapes were suddenly at 50% opacity, although at 100% in the transform opacity section.  I hit uu to show all the settings and there is a second opacity setting in the fill tab, that just decided to start defaulting at 50% so now I have to go in and change that each time until I figure out if there's a way to change a setting for it. Don't know if it apllies to illustrator layers but all the best figuring it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for posting this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines