• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE export makes video square

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping someone can help me I haven't found a solution anywhere on the web.

Im running latest After Effects.  When I import a 4K video and do color correction I go to Compisition, add to render que, and export from output module as QuickTime h.264. First couple times it worked beautifully but suddenly I got the caution message during one of the renders that the format would be changed from 4K to 2000 by 2000 (par 1.22) to meet format constraints.

My final picture is then square instead of 16:9 when playing back in QuickTime. Is there a way to keep the video in 16:9 or bypass the downgrade to meet format constraints?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Your choice for an output codec makes no sense. Just choose Uncompressed from the settings in the Output Module of the render cue or pick h.264 in the Adobe Media Encoder and use one of the presets.

Don't go messing with render settings until you understand them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to know exactly what render settings you are using. You should be using a AME template unless you are expert in compression and formats. Some formats are extremely picky about frame sizes and frame rates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been rendering in AE not the Adobe Media Encoder. the render settings are QuickTime h.264 frame rate 23.976. Is there more info I should be looking at. I'm definitely not an expert so thank you and I'll get any other info you may need to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Work in a comp with square pixels -- the horizontal & vertical dimensions that your video SHOULD be, but because the camera maker cheaped out, are probably 75% fewer horizontally than you'd expect.  Maybe even 66.666...% fewer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so here's what I got.

Imported an edited video from iMovie as 4K video into AE project.

Comp settings are set to square pixels, preset UHD 4K 23.976, width 3840 height 2160 frame rate 23.976 resolution full. Frame aspect ratio 16:9 (1.78).

When i I add to render que in AE the out put module sets it to QuickTime DV NTSC 48khz. I click on output module and change format options to h.264 and the caution reads warning: out put file will be resized to 2000x2000 (1.00 par) to meet format constraints. Final rendered picture is square instead of 16:9.

Ive tried exporting in almost all the formats and the video comes out the same or detached from audio.

Does that make sense? Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Snapboy  wrote

When i I add to render que in AE the out put module sets it to QuickTime DV NTSC 48khz. I click on output module and change format options to h.264 and the caution reads warning: out put file will be resized to 2000x2000 (1.00 par) to meet format constraints. Final rendered picture is square instead of 16:9.

Why on earth are you rendering in SD video when your footage (I presume) and comp are in 4K?  That just doesn't make any sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is h.264 a SD video? As you can see I'm not totally educated. I've tried exporting as lossless animation with 4K presets and the video still comes out square. I'm lost, is there any way to get the video exported in 4K as 16:9 aspect and bypassing AE resizing the video to meet format constraints?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your choice for an output codec makes no sense. Just choose Uncompressed from the settings in the Output Module of the render cue or pick h.264 in the Adobe Media Encoder and use one of the presets.

Don't go messing with render settings until you understand them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open the composition settings do you see the word "Custom?"

If so that's part of your problem.

If you open up render settings do you see the word "Custom?"

If so that's also part of your problem. Until you share a screenshot that sows your composition settings, just select the composition in the Project panel and the info will display the info, and you share a screenshot of your render settings we have no way of pointing out the errors. Just PrintScreen and paste to the forum. If you are on a Mac just press Shift + Ctrl/CMnd + 3 and drag the screenshot to the reply field on the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend that you output to Adobe Media Encoder. In there there are several presets that will help you. The first thing to consider is what are you outputting this video for? Is it for showing in a digital cinema or on a 4K TV? If so then you may want to output 4K but H264 is the wrong codec for that. if you want to output for YouTube or Vimeo or the web the. H264 is fine but choosing the correct settings for each purpose is important. So, Go to File > Esporta > Adobe Media Encoder. When your comp appears in AME, drag the YouTube preset you want (or other preset) from the list onto the comp. I'd suggest trying the YouTube 1080 preset to start with. This will output a 16:9 HD movie.

good luck 🙂

Angie Taylor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to say thanks. I was having the same issue and I tried every setting and nothing worked until I used Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for letting us know. Can you please mark the solution that worked for you as correct so that others can easily find it? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot Angie!

That was really helpful. I wish we could make this the correct answer instead of that old guy's answer. Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines