Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE keeps importing the same file.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've lately been importing Illustrator files into After Effects for animation. I've been running into an issue where I'll upload one file, and then every file I upload afterwards is that same first file. Sometimes saving the file in a different folder, or drastically changing its name helps.

I've reinstalled AE/restarted my computer. This has been a problem for a few weeks.

Thanks for any help!

Deric

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Hey everyone I found a solution to your problem.

I had the same situation when using Premier 2018 when I tried to import slide from a presentation and had the same problem. The original file was PDF so I had to turn it into jpg to use it in premier.  After restarting my computer and trying again all the steps described nothing worked. So I brought the exported jpgs and re-exported them again in resolution matching my sequence settings. After that I was able to import all my images normally.

Seems

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS worked for me, none of the others didn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My goodness - here we are in 2023 and it is still happening.

I may have another solution - I was pulling in an Illustrator file to AE - and it was called 'ceramics' and every time I worked on the file I would output it to ceramics 2 ceramics 3 etc... And it wasn't showing the changes that I had done and then I noticed it was only pulling in 'ceramics' - first I thought it was missing the number off as a thing, but I saved a file as ceramics4 and it pulled it in. And guess what when I tried to pull in ceramics5 it pulled in 4...

So I copied it and now the file is 'ceramics5 - copy' and it went in fine.

So I suggest that AE is not looking closely enough to the file names certainly at the 'shape' of the file name. Change the filname shape and it may well work.

Shame Adobe don't read these places

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another solution is to remove all the metadata from the Illustrator JPEGs. There are some freeware tools which can do the task. Afterwards it worked for me. It's a very simple solution, since you don't need to re-save the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

It happens when you export JPGs from Illustrator using the "Export for screens" feature. All images exported output as the same. When you export PNGs, it doesn't help

Adobe screws up again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove the metadata from the JPGs with an external tool. This helped in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2021 and this problem still persists - cannot import JPEGS exported from Illustrator into After Effects. They import as duplicates of the first frame.

In the latest release of AI and AE, however, PNG's seem to work for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still happenning i am importing form illustrator as compostition and keep importing me as some previuos sequencial ai file name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As previuos mentioned it work finw with the drag to ae mechanism, but is houl be fixed by this time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

August 2021 and I am getting the same problem from images 'exported for screens' from Illustrator.  I have 8 different jpegs, and they all raster as image 6 in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines