Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE random and sudden closes without crashing

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've a problem with After Effect since a few days.
Randomly while I'm working, the program will just shut down, without any slowdown before or any crash message after. Just close without saving, like if I asked it to.
There is no pattern in this issue, it can happen any time, and I don't do anything so demanding on the software (just basic montage with two effects applied, nothing to bring down my computer).

I saw on other similar post that it might be a problem with the cloud, having troubles to connect to Adobe so deciding to shut down my program in a failure to be sure I purchased it, but no solution was written.
I'm working on wifi (I don't have the choice at my place of work) but the connection is fast and I did not had any disconnect when the closes happened (because I was listenning to podcast on youtube at the same time and it didn't stop playing).
I've Kaspersky free version installed. 

I'm working on the 17.7.0 version of After Effect, and got the full Creative Suite.
My Pc is only a few month old, and is composed as follow :
Processor : AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT - 3.8 / 4.7 GHz
Graphic card : MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Super Gaming x Trio
Ram : 32 Go (2x16) DDR4 3200 MHz
Drivers for the graphic card up to date

Can someone help me solve this problem ? Is it mandatory to be online to work with the software you purchased ? Any help would be appreciated as this issue is a real pain in my workflow and I have approching deadlines.
Thanks 

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by checking your Windows event viewer. I'm pretty sure this is as trivail as your graphics card overheating or causing voltage spikes and conking out. In such a case obviously you will have to check your drivers and configuration, power management and so on.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What should I search for in the event viewer according to you ? 
This explanation seems unlikely to me as my graphic card runs just fine on any over software, my computer really not seems overheating, and mostly I just finished a very similar project on After Effect two days ago and never had the problem.

I found a pattern in the crashs however, as it is sometimes when i use the split layer shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+D) that my computer lag for a second then AE close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if it does that then chances are you have issues with the cache and by extensions the asociated storage, be that folder permissions or your SSD not keeping up/ needing a better driver.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting, 
what should I check about the cache folder permissions ? 
My SSD is a Samsung 970 Evo plus 1To. Do you think it's a problem of upgrading the hardware, or just the driver ?
Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that this is a performance issue with the SSD not being fast enough to update/ rebuild the caches and temp folders. Depending on the situation duplicating a layer can duplicate the cache fiels associated with it, especially if processes like Rotobrush or the 3D tracker are used that use those caches. Impossible to say that this is just a glitch then or if you need to even go so far as to switch your SSD to a different port and PCI lane due to bandwith conflicts e.g. with your graphics card. Start by actually monitoring your disk usage with task manager/ resource monitor open. If it spikes shortly before or after the duplication  this could be a clue that confirms my theory. If it doesn't, you may still see other things going bonkers liek a dirver suddenly consuming all your CPU cycles, which also might be ueseful to diagnose the issue further and find a culprit.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the problem again, but this time with tools openned to track the SSD activity.
The temperature is normal (44 °C) and the task manager does not track any peak of activity. So I don't think that the problem comes from there.

Also, I tried to re open my older project and to split layers and no problem. On this project I was working with HD files, but on the one I've got problem with it's 4k files. But with my configuration, I'd be surprised it's enough to cause this issue.

If someone have another idea I'm all ears 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

We appreciate you writing in and sharing detailed information about the issue. Your computer may have saved a report for the crash instance. Could you check that? https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/faq-how-to-find-after-effects-crash-logs-on-your-comput...

Also, have you considered updating to the latest version of Adobe After Effects?

Let us know. We're here to help.

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines