Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE really slow, what to upgrade?

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I have been using AE for a couple of years and now it's too slow to do any professional work. When 4k is in the project, AE is barely usable.
Here are my specs below and I want to upgrade, what is the main problem in my build?
I use the latest version of AE CC 2018 since 2019 in my case was unusable for anything, even simple text animation.

Thank you in advance.

Summary

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz (Didn't overclock, let me know if I should)    24 °C

Kaby Lake 14nm Technology

RAM

32.0GB Dual-Channel Crucial @ 2400MHz (2x16gb, 2 more slots available)

Motherboard

Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. H270-HD3-CF (U3E1)    27 °C

Graphics

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (Gigabyte)    32 °C

Storage

232GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250GB (Unknown (SSD))

232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD))    23 °C

931GB Seagate ST1000DM010-2EP102 (SATA )    21 °C

3726GB Seagate ST4000DM004-2CV104 (SATA )    21 °C

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan

I think the best way to add speed for what you are doing is by using your SSD for cache. This can be assigned in preferences. For large amounts of data, hard drive read and write speed is a critical part of how fast your app works.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DS,

Thank you for the answer, but I am already using my m.2 NVMe (Samsung SSD 970 EVO) for cache, so I don't think that's the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If even simple animations become "unusable" then there is a configuration problem with your system, as the specs are more than adequate for general After Effects work.  Troubleshoot the problem before shelling out for more hardware.

Try software rendering vs GPU rendering.  Any change?

Try eliminating all peripheral devices from the machine and just work with the internal SSD.  Any change?

If you have the time and patience, try a clean OS installation, with no other software installed other than AE.  Any change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew, thanks for answering.

Had GPU problems (was a lot worse and a lot of crashes), fixed it couple of days ago (DDU) but the rest is still slow.
I have only essential peripherals for editing plugged.

Did a clean OS install like a month ago, had like 5-10% speed boost.

Actually, it's unusable when editing 4k, can't even preview it without any adjustments on a 1/8th resolution.
I'm not talking realtime or anything like that, far from that, really not editable. (Around 1fps played)
I know I can use proxies but thought I should get an upgrade because even without 4k if a project gets a bit complex, it drastically slows down.

Don't know if i9-9900k or gtx 1080 ti would help me more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new i9-9900k set up with GTX 1080ti and still getting crappy results. Pretty frustrating. Going to try and go back to the older versions and see if it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am planning to buy Quardo P2000 for AE for good speed.
An SSD and 32 GB RAm with Core i7.

Is it fine for the AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

sagara59324877  wrote

I am planning to buy Quardo P2000 for AE for good speed.
An SSD and 32 GB RAm with Core i7.

Is it fine for the AE.

Yes it's fine but so is your current card.

Buying  a Quadro will be throwing away your money.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-After-Effects-CC-144/Hardware...

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines