• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE won't let me use GPU - cannot identify CUDA

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am using a iMac 27" (End 2013) with NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M. The problem I am facing since ages is that After Effects won't recognise the GPU via CUDA so I am stuck with the Ray-Tracing CPU Option only.

As researching on the web I realised that I also had to add the card's name into the text file (raytracer_supported_cards) which I did according to a video tutorial.

I only randomly have access when a new CUDA Update is being released and downloaded. Only then I had it like 2-3 times that I was able to select the GPU Option from the "Preview" Tab in AE. Otherwise I am stuck using CPU only.

Please help me solve this problem. It really slows down the whole rendering and preview process when not being able to use this feature.

THanks,

Georg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Would you have a double-check to identify the name of the graphic card, using GPUSniffer? The additional name in the raytracer_supported_cards.txt is the same as the description of GPUSniffer result?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly a five year old computer is a dinosaur.  Maybe it's time to consider upgrading.  And personally speaking once you go 4K on your display you won't ever want to look at a 1080 monitor again.

You might want to do a little digging on CPU vs GPU. I think the platform is heading in a direction where the GPU is not as important.  But an expert in that realm I am not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Ray Trace 3D renderer your worrying about has nothing to do with normal rendering and previews.  RT3D is only for extruding text and was a dead feature for years before it was replaced by the C4D3D render engine (which is just as useless). 

So your belief that your inability to enable the GPU rendering is "really slowing down the whole rendering and preview process" is simply not true.   It's surprising that you say you've been "facing this problem for ages" and in all that time have not noticed anywhere that it has nothing to do with your general workflow at all.

For regular 2D/3D layers you should be using Classic 3D.  If you ARE extruding text or shapes you should be using the C4D engine

or C4D light.

Hope that's clear.  You're either confused about what you think that feature is supposed to do or you're using a dead feature to extrude.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the infos. Guess you are right, probably it's a hardware issue and I need to upgrade...I just had the feeling that when being able to access CUDA via Preview that the whole processing was a bit faster...seems like this was just a subjective impression...Thanks for the infos though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some troubleshooting instructions are posted on the NVIDIA site. The process ends with the installation of the CUDA Driver. It starts with the NVIDIA manager (think that is what is called). It is a two-step install, reboot, install reboot process. Just Google NVIDIA Cuda dirver update OSX 10.13.1 and you should find the info.

Before doing the fix, I recommend to remove these CUDA files manually (follow this CUDA removal guide ) in case messing up with old problematic settings:

/Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate.plist

/Library/PreferencePanes/CUDA Preferences.prefPane

/System/Library/Extensions/CUDA

/System/Library/StartupItems/CUDA

/usr/local/cuda/lib/libcuda.dylib

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines