Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

aerender.exe crashes using certain effects

Explorer ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After many hours of testing we have discovered that aerender.exe is unstable with certain effects. Note, this has only been an issue since moving to AE2018. The effects we have found unstable so far...

Fast Blur (Legacy)

Fast Box Blur

Simple Choker

Directional Blur

If a basic comp is created using any of these effects (or combination of), and rendered by command line (aerender.exe), the comp causes aerender.exe to become very unstable. However, we have also discovered that these crashes depend on the amount of VRAM (GPU RAM) that is free on the system. On my system if the VRAM goes over 60-70% (which I can force by opening several images in Photoshop) then aerender.exe will render a few frames and fail every time. No error is given, even using the "-v ERRORS_AND_PROGRESS" flag. With the VRAM level back down to 50% or less, the renders always work.

Command line used:
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2018\Support Files\aerender.exe" -project "D:\test\AE2018_CrashTest folder\AE2018_CrashTest.aep" -comp "test" -s 0 -e 200 -output  "D:\test\CrashTest\test_[#####].png"

There is clearly a VRAM memory issue in regard to these specific effects, causing an instability in the aerender.exe

AE 2018 (15.1.1), Windows 10 x64 Pro (16299.402), Nvidia GTX-770 4GB (Driver 391.35), Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The curse of GPU acceleration...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to deactivate the GPU acceleration in File > Project Settings. Under Video Rendering and Effects try to use Mercury Software Only. Test the render in command line and tell us if this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion Jose. However, aerender.exe does not respect anything set in the Project Settings. It does not even care what is set in the main AE Prefs. It does it's own thing that you have little control over, apart from a few command line options (Non of which allow you to disable the GPU render).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today we discovered yet another built-in effect with the same issue...

Channel Blur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 23, 2019 Mar 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I’m curious to hear if you’ve discovered anything new about these crashes. I suspected VRAM or the GPU was behind similar crashes using command line rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok so after having this same issue, and eliminating all the above. I found a script was trying to exectute command id :Save RAM Preview... = 2125;

I meticulously went through everything, so I know this command is disabled in 2018, I must have been testing it or something. So this was executed at startup and caused issues with using aerender.exe fluidly.

I have reproduced it etc. so the aerender script will fail with those errors each time and crash, then I removed that call to "Save RAM Preview" in the startup script and 

it is all back to normal now, but I have had those "openvr" error in the console,  for as long as I remember but it starts rendering fine anyway.

Might be of some help to somebody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines