Exit

After Effects can’t continue: unexpected failure during application startup

Participant ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community,
Anybody know how to solve this ?
I am using macOS Catalina Version 10.15.2 Processor 3,6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

All other's Adobe applications are loading without any issue. The only one that is throwing error is After Effect…

Screenshot_47.jpg

[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

Erns R.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution on my own I want to share it.  If you have the message Unexpected failure during application startup or After Effects warning: Could not find the user documents directory.

try to remember if when you installed the software originally you had an additional hard drive,  if that is the case connect a USB drive and start changing the letter on the drive for example from D: to E: and so on. It worked for me when I reached F: because I had multiple hard drives when I installed Adobe Creative Cloud in the past. I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sajjad,

Thanks for your reply. I'm following up on the matter, I believe the issue stated above was for Mac OS, although your instructions are for Microsoft.

I followed all the above guidance from previous community helpers, but nothing works for me and After effects still can't be opened. It's urgent that I use the sotfware for a client or will loose a bulk of money I live on... I'm desperate and have tried everything.

Can you please help? 
*Screenshots of the error messages are attached.

Coline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@C2O 

You're experiencing this with the current version of After Effects, correct?

There's a known issue with Catalina that's documented here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/known-issues-after-effects.html

Specifically:

May 2022 (Version 22.4) release
Issue: After Effects 22.3 and 22.4 crashes on start up when running on MacOS versions 10.15.0 through 10.15.3.
Workaround: Upgrade MacOS to 10.15.4 or above, or use After Effects 22.5 Beta, build 29 or above. For After Effects 22.5x29 and above, Transmit of DV video content over Firewire is unsupported on MacOS 10.15.0 through 10.15.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning Warren,

Thanks for the fast reply.

I'm on the latest OS version (Monterey) and have re-installed the latest After Effects version (not opening). I've also given full disk access to After Effects as recommended in previous replies (screenshots).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2022 Jul 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bro, Sorry for late reply. I'm busy now. So, Already have given solutions for your problem on mac. Please read carefully. Contact me

[Personal information removed by moderator.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2023 Oct 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This video helped me to resolve the problem

https://youtu.be/sQSvMiBknLs?si=8mqiij7tQNT6lZ5S 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2023 Oct 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the issue is long-standing, but I just encountered this issue for the first time. I seem to have solved it for myself, although not sure if this will help everyone. But I opened "After Effects Render Engine" which appeared as a separate icon to my After Effects when i searched in Launchpad. When I did that, it opened the render queue, but also After Effects in whole, without issue. Since then I have not reencountered the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very old thread, but I just had this problem: AE2024 crashed while rendering (something it had already rendered once before). Restarts didn't help, but I noticed in the Security section of 'Privacy & Security' had blocked a legacy 'Canon' format from loading. Have no idea what it is but clicked 'allow'. AE then launched fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines