• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects + Illustrator updates at the beginning of May crash or hang my system used together

Explorer ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often run AFX, Illustrator and C4D at the same time without any issues. I am aware for a weaker workstation it would be obvious that this would be over working it. However this is a 2x2080Ti 64Gb RAM Windows 11 system and it has dealt with running all this + Photoshop and Indesign to boot.

The issue happens when I alt tab away from After Effects most often. But seems to happen more when Illustrator is open. So its hard to say who is to blame! The system either freezes completely, or comes back to life after 10s or so, in the Windows Event Viewer the message that ofter comes up alongside is this:

'Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.'

My hunch is the adobe software is maxing out the GPU in one way or another causing a spike that resets the GPU driver.

I've ruled out a lot of other software by doing a clean install of windows and reinstallation of the apps. Studio driver is up to date, currently I am going to trial the Game Ready driver and see if it better behaves.

My current solution is to roll-back to earlier versions of AFX and Illustrator, however it would be great if it was fixed or if anyone else is having the issue and has a better workaround I'd love to hear it.

To reiterate, any response saying I'm asking too much of my system is not accurate. As it has been rock solid doing the same for the last 18 months (since its build) until the May updates.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, I would have to concur that your graphics driver is simply crashing, but typically this has nothing to do with having enough resources or not. It's simply a bug somewhere. If it's an option, you could try to downgrade the driver, but I have no idea if this is even possible, given that there may not be an older version for Win 11. The 4.7xx series seemd to work quite for most people and somewhere along the lines of the 5.11x versions things got flaky. Another exotic thing that comes to mind might be to check the BIOS and driver for SLI and PCI sync and all that since you have two cards. Changing some of those options may cost a bit of performance, but might avoid the issue.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines