Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After effects multiprocessor render not using full CPU

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a 32 core threadripper with 256gb ram 10gb graphics card

running after effects beta, just installed.

Have it set to multiprocessor render.

while rendering, either on render cue or media encoder:

Max cpu use around 45% but consistently around 18%

RAM usage around 30 - 50%

GPU usage around 1-2%

On my smaller machine - 6 core, 64gb ram, I was hitting close to 100 percent CPU usage.

I'm exporting PNG sequences from After Effects, tried quicktime and not much difference.

Any ideas of how to get all 32 cores working?

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but without any info about the actual project contents and other details like actual render settings, storage locations, cache settings and whatnot that is a bit of a hollow statement. Even with MFR the rules don't change much: There's a million factors that define how AE renders what and the limitations that apply e.g. to GPU acceleration apply just as well. A simple incompatible effect, combinations of layer switches, certain types of pre-composing, time-remapping and whatever you can imagine forces AE back into snail mode can be relevant here. And even if it seems to fly on one machine may still mean it simply has exhausted its capabilities on another machine with more cores. This can go as far as some underlying code libraries simply not being made to use more than X thereads or to be instanciated in a fashion compaitible with all manner of parallel processing such as MFR sort of is.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this MAJOR problem with MTR. I don't care what excuses Adobe makes for not having addressed this issue. Non-compatible effects, non this and that, blah blah blah. The engineers at Adobe need to step up and address this issue. I also have a 32 core threadripper beast, and it is simply inexcusable that not all my processors are being used. People like us buy expensive machines in order to speed up workflow, only to be slowed down by inefficient programming. I don't care what problems Adobe engineers have, all I know is that their inability to provide effective multi-rendering in 2023 is ridiculous. Your team of engineers needs to resolve this imediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Furthermore it's pointless to provide people with your "benchmark" project. Who cares about your benchmark project? It's not your benchmark project we're trying to render, it's our own projects that need to be rendered, so instead of sending useless benchmark projects, why don't you guys solve this issue to work on all projects? Logical no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the benchmark project mentioned here: Multi-Frame Rendering is here! (AKA The multithrea... - Adobe Support Community - 11885358

Render it with MFR off and then render with MFR on. (Make sure you clear the cache between your test attempts.) You should see a noticable difference between the two times.

Then it'll just be a matter of learning how to optimize projects to take advantage of MFR functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

awesome - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines