So for some reason, when I try to use a specific style of a Font family (in this case, Fakt Pro is the font family, I specifically use Fakt pro Semibold), After Effects won't list all the options.
Fakt Pro shows up as a font option, but I can only choose "Normal" as an option, not Bold, Thin, Semibold, etc.
But I don't have this problem with Premiere and Photoshop. In Premiere and photoshop, I can choose all the styles just fine.
This is really messing me up, as it has to be Semibold, and if I have to make the text in photoshop first, that severely limits the range of animations I can do. I don't understand why AE can read the font but only SOME of it, while its two sister programs can read them all just fine.
Find out if it's a PostScript typeface in question. If it is, you're best to use a previous AE version. AE lost the ability to read certain PostScript fonts in the latest version.
What happens if you copy and paste text from a Photoshop Text Layer to an After Effects Text Layer?
Also, have you tried importing the PS Text Layer and then converting it to After Effect Type?
I'm not certain either approach will have better results, but now and again I've had trouble with a font or variation of a showing up in the Character panel in AE and these approaches are a way of forcing the font to get chosen. You can then see where (or if) it's the font list in AE.
I have recently experienced this problem. The solution is annoyingly simple. I have checked my font library and found out, some of the fonts were installed twice. AE could'nt use those fonts. Thats it! Check your font library, and uninstall the duplications.
I thought this was what I was encountering too, but now I've removed the duplicates and the problem is still happening:
Hey - not sure if you fixed this problem, but I also had a handful of fonts behaving like this in AE. They were all fixed by doing one of the following;
- Replace TTF versions with OTF where possible
- Google fonts, I'd installed the 'variable' versions, which don't work. When you download them there should also be a 'static' folder. Use these instead.
Hope this helps someone!