• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects only uses one core for rendering! Can anyone solve this.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do NOT need any information about the new features.

I just wanna know why the bloody hell AE only uses one single core of my computer?

It has continuously rendering for over 170 hours.. always ONE CORE.

Any idea? Can anyone help me? The project is overdue already but I have to watch this nonsense.

This is so frustrating.

This is the latest version.

Capture.JPG

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have a feeling that using PC computers would be faster and more accurate for AE then Mac computers.

Personnally, I am Mac for 30 years.

I work with the heaviest files ever in my life, for this personnal project : 350 shots are all in Proress 4444 (all with alpha channel) in Full Res (but i compose in Quarter resolution).  So, each shot are between 750 Mo and 2 Go.

I just bought the new Mac Pro 2019 (the new tower) and I choose this set up (for AE primarely) :

-8 cores (not 12, not, 18, not 24, not 28) at 3,4 Ghz (4 Ghz in turbo boost, but I don't know yet when it snaps...)

-384 GB of RAM (and if I would have more $, I would full it with the double 768 GB)

-The video card is AMD Radeon Pro Vega 2 ,32 GB.

-1 GB SSD

-I already have a Pegasus 4 disks, in RAID 0, that multiply the speed by 4  (but is in Thunderbolt 2, not 3)

I observe the Activity Monitor for weeks to see when the memory is used and when the CPU works.  What I saw is that no matter how big are the media list in your project.  But it really matters how big are the compositions and the numbers of composition in the timeline. 

The memory allow to AE is 306 Gig (the max).  When I preview, it becomes full pretty fast. I saw that the memory doesn't empty when I close the comp.  

With more money, I would buy the Pegasus 8 drives, Raid 0, in Thunderbolt 3, and another 384 GB of RAM.

So, I decided to compose during the day and place all the large Render in Queue, and I just start the list of renders before supper time...

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there again

I forgot to say that when the CPU renders, the Activity Monitor says that the CPU is use, by exemple, at 336%.

That says to me,  3 cores are used at 100% plus 36% of a fourth core... right?

Does anyone could confirmed that my conclusion is right?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is an observation, not a conclusion. - With AE, just grab the PC with the biggest possible CPU boost speed. All other factors like drive speed and amount of cores, are secondary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines