• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects render/export taking forever!! 10+ HOURS FOR 3 MINUTE VIDEO

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying render a 2 minute 50 second video and everytime it is taking over 10 hours to render, sometimes even 24 hours this is ridiculous! I can't keep having to wait this long in the future please someon me help me resolve this issue. I have tried rendering it through the adobe media encoder dynamic link exporting to H.264 and that takes about 24 hours. I have tried exporting to DNxHR, Apple Pro res, Quicktime but they all take way too long.

I am using a Macbook with these specs:Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 13.56.39.png

TOPICS
Dynamic link , Error or problem , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you expect. Loading files into the render buffer takes time. Processsing effects and animation takes time. Rendering a frame takes time. Saving a file to disk takes time. AE is far from a realtime app and depending on your composition resolution, complexity, effects and features used rendering times from a few seconds to several minutes per frame are perfectly within reason and if you have to render 30, 60 or  more for each second you easily end up with thousands of frames multiplied by that time. We can agree that 24 hours may be excessive in your case, but 10 hours could be perfectly normal. There's 5100 frames to process at 30 FPS and if it takes about 35 seconds per frame as the values you offered suggest this is perfectly in the realm of normalcy for AE. At 60 FPS it would be half of that and 15 seconds per frame is realyl nothing to complain about. Sorry, but it seems you simply have wrong expectations here and need to educate yourself about how AE's rendering pipeline works. There may of course be potential to optimize and crunch down rendering times, but in order to do that a lot more info about actual project contents, effects and features used and so on would be required. However, even under ideal conditions this may never go significantly lower due to what effects and features you may be using.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i see you in every comment section acting like such a smartaz but yet you're not helpful at all lmfao. you said "i dOnT kNoW wHaT YoU ExPeCt lol but i was recently rendering my regular 8 second videos for an hour, now all of a sudden it shot up to 9 hours even tho i'm doing everything the same and i did everything you're supposed to do, for example clearing cache etc. I know everything about ae already i've been using it for years, you talk a big game yet you're completely useless and probably know less about the app then i do, and you call yourself an "adobe professional" lmfao get humble. start being more polite to the people who pay for this program, your rudeness is disgusting and comepletely out of pocket. Treat people with more respect, it's getting on my last nerve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is only the 2nd comment I've seen from him and both are absolutely useless XD Imagine how highly you have to think of yourself to sign each of your answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With respect to the actual question, I found that even though I used the same render method and the video I'm rendering is shorter than the 3 minute video that only took 30 minutes to render (2.5 hours shorter to render than my new one), the source files are MUCH higher resolution than the files I used before, even though the composition is the same size. That might apply to you? I'm not sure if that even affects it or if down-scaling really adds THAT much time but it's the only difference between my two projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will do anything but be helpful I guess, don't know what else to expect from a ignorant weirdo though. I did not pay 1000+ for a computer for it to take the same amount of time as my $500 HP pavillion (~12 hours) on a 3 minute video because Adobe can't get their crap together and finally fix the slow software they created.Literally just made an account to tell you probably nobody likes you and your attitude is weird asf weirdo vibes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Logan27606859nvzo  @ZoneFX5C8B
@Zaika22450752uetb  
simple- don't use it if you want a program that can use all your CPU and all your GPU. It's a 30 year old program- those weren't a thing when it was made, and Adobe is determined to milk that work as long as it can, and that means doing more work is less profitable. If someone told you it was modern or efficient or in line with standards, they lied to you. (MP4 output was disabled till last year, for example, and only a small handful of effects use ANY GPU or more than a single core. heck, most color math in the program is 8 bit, as it was in 1993.) I would say to try resolve. you can edit up to 4k UHD in the free version, and it also has some effects capabilities if you're willing to work with nodes.

I've found that After Effects CS6 is actually faster on the same hardware by at least 20%, including all optimizations, so I can't say it's going to get much better here, and besides, adobe does not get money from updates, they get money by getting people to adopt their ecosystem, now. there's no incentive to provide meaningful updates since 2013, the last year CS6 was sold (funny thing). Luckily for you, you can just stop paying, and whatever programs are on your computer will remain, so at least there's that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Render time depends entirely on what is going on in the composition. I do a lot of visual effects and compositing. If I design a shot that takes more than two or three minutes a frame I redesign the shot so it will render faster. My goal is to never have a comp that takes longer than about 4 minutes a frame to render. These complex composites are the exception. I maybe have two or three of them a month. Most of my comps render at the rate of several frames per minute. They render faster because they have fewer frames and fewer render intensive effects applied. When designing effects or motion graphics shot I always consider the render time. Pixar used to have, and probably still has a design limit of 7 minutes a frame for their renders and they have a lot bigger machine than I do. It takes that long to give every hair on Scully's body mass and inertia so that it will move like it was real.

What is going on in the comp? What is the frame size? What is the frame rate? Your video is probably somewhere between 4080 and 5100 frames long. If it will render in 24 hours that is about 17 seconds per frame. That might be pretty good. There are probably things you can do to the design to speed things up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

that is not correct. One composition in a clean project renders in 5 minutes. Exactly same composition in a bigger project with other things (that are not going to be renderend in the exact same composition) could multiply render times up to x10 in hour experiency. there is something inside the .aep projects that makes everything incredibly slow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with comments above, but some addditional notes about ways to reduce render times:

• Reduce resolution. Are you rendering at 4K when you can get by with regular HD, for example?

• Reduce frame rate.  Are you rendering at an unnecesarily high frame rate?

• Reduce the size/resolution of source material.  Ultra-high resolution video and stills can dramatically increase render times, especially if they have effects applied directly to them.  Sometimes splitting an ultra-high definition still image into multiple smaller images can help a lot.

• Turn off motion blur if you don't need it.

• Turn off frame blending if you don't need it.

• If working in 3D, complex lighting and/or depth of field can really add to render times.  Can anything be somplified?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Demorae5C2F 

Render times are proportional to processor speed.  Currently with AE, the rule of thumb is fewer, faster cores.

Based on your screenshot, for a faster render you need something faster than a 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7.

A well known After Effects performance test file is published by Equiloud on Vimeo:  https://vimeo.com/118053656

Download that project and render it.  Then use this list as a basis of comparison to see what processor you might upgrade to for a faster render:

• 2 min. 48 sec., AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X 64-Core Processor 2.9 GHz, 256GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX3090 24GB

• 3 min. 17 sec., 2019 Mac Pro, 3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, 192 GB 2933 MHz DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB

• 5 min. 11 sec. (Metal), Apple M1 Mac Mini (2020), Apple M1, 16GB, Apple M1 Built in graphics

• 5 min. 55 sec., Mac Pro (Late 2013), 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3, AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB
  • 6 min. 34 sec., Mac Pro (Late 2013), 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3, AMD FirePro D700 6144 MB
  • 7 min. 35 sec., Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3, AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
  • 10 min. 9 sec. (Metal), Apple Developer Mac Mini (2020), Apple A12Z Bionic, 16GB, Apple A12Z Built In
  • 18 min. 38 sec., 27-inch iMac (2010), 2.8 HGz Quad-Core i5, 12GB RAM, HD 5670512MB
  • 22 min. 10 sec., MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2015), 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB
  • 32 min. 48 sec., MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2016), 1.2 GHz Intel Core m5, 8 GB 1867 MHz LPDDR3, Intel HD Graphics 515 1536 MB

If you're running After Effects 2022, you can use the Render Time pane in the Timeline panel to see exactly what's taking the longest for your processor to render.  The switch looks like a snail (named Oscar) and is located at the lower left of the Timeline panel.  With After Effects 2022's Multi-Frame Rendering you should see faster renders as well, but with modest render speed increases on a 2015 6-Core Intel i7.

After Effects show/hide Render Time pane switch in the Timeline PanelAfter Effects show/hide Render Time pane switch in the Timeline Panel

There are some great suggestions in the posts in this thread for getting a faster render; however, you are probably happy with the appearance of your Comp and may not want to make any changes - in which case you're back to moving the project to a faster computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is directly related but lately, maybe for 2 months now, I've seen strange unpredictability in render times when rendering a comp several times (with minor changes not critical to rendering). Render times have been varying between 10 minutes and 1 hour. Also memory consumption has been all over the place each run. IF this is not related to Adobe pushing out flawed versions of AE I suppose I might have damaged memory and/or ssd but my #1 suspect is Adobe having broken something. And that reminds me, why is sending comps the Media Encoder so slow nowdays? Sometimes it takes 10 minutes to show up in ME...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Atte J. 

That sounds like it could be a memory leak.

What are you full system specifications?

Have you tried running some of the After Effects benchmarks with all third party plugins, addons, and extensions disabled?

Usually when there's been an issue on the Adobe side with Media Encoder that needs a bug fix, it has to do with Media Encoder not launching at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines