• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects slow on M2 Ultra Mac

Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week I replaced my 2017 iMac with an M2 Ultra Mac Studio with 128 GB RAM. It struggles to even play a 4K .mp4 clip in real time. In my comparison tests, it was rendering comps in approximately the same amount of time as my old iMac (2017, 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, with 64 GB RAM). I currently have 16 GB RAM reserved for other applications (112 GB for AE). I have tried with and without Multi-frame Rendering turned on. I have not migrated my files from my old computer, so these are the results right out of the box. I'm using the latest version of AE (23.5.0).

I was expecting previews to be about 5 times faster, but hoping for more. At first I was just terribly disappointed, and thought I made a huge mistake investing 8K in new computer equipment, since After Effects is my livelihood. But now I'm assuming that AE is just not operating right. I have read mixed comments about whether AE is optimized for the M2. Does anyone have any up-to-date information on that? Or maybe know of some trick? Something I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Some fresh news after having to deal with the same issues this morning...

To not make this too long, I will share the last, and I think most relevant results.

I am using my M2 Ultra with 2 displays (LG 27UK650).

I realise that the problem comes when I work with both displays.

If I unplug my second monitor, everything runs smoothly.

Using both monitors, causes After effects to reproduce preview not real time (very choppy), same with Davinci Resolve reproducing a single 4K ProRes422 clip (with no effec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

The Adobe teams are in discussion with Apple about this. Apple have identified it as an issue in macOS. At this time the only workaround we have from them is to Disable "Displays have separate Spaces" in macOS System Settings > Desktop & Dock. While not ideal, this should improve playback performance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2023 Sep 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any word on if this issue has been adressed in either Ventura 13.6, or in Sonoma 14.0? I'm about a month into this new system and, I'm nervous to upgrade to either one without knowing if I'll be trading one bug for another. Currently running triple monitors and with spaces separate on all displays, my workflow is a mess. I'm in the middle of a 4 month compositing contract and this computer "upgrade" has been.. shall we say, less than optimal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest update I have:

MacOS 14 has a partial fix and should be released soon. It's a slight improvement but not a full fix.
Apply are currently planning to have the full fix in MacOS 14.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent news. Any idea what "partial" means exactly?  I'd like to know if I were to update to 14.0 and uncheck the "displays have separate spaces".. what would happen exactly? The 14.0 update is available to me now in software update, however depending on what has been partially fixed, I may just hold out for 14.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not exactly clear from the info we've been given but as soon as I have more info I'll pass it along.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's me again.. just looking for an update before I upgrade my system. I see that 14.1 is available. Has the issue been corrected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we have to update to an untested and unstable new Mac system in order to fix this bug? I only just upgraded to Ventura myself as I never ever use a new Mac system until they have a year to work out the bugs with Adobe. Apple needs to address this in their previous (stable) OS before asking us to beta test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sonoma 14 is out of beta and has been released as of yesterday, but it doesn't contain the fix. Sonoma 14.1 is in beta, and probably doesn't contain the fix yet. It sounds like Apple plans to have the fix ready by the time 14.1 rolls out of beta.

That said, I agree. I don't want to update to an untested OS right away without giving time to sort out the bugs.

I suggest anyone else who feels Apple should address this bug in Ventura leave some feedback for them:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I voiced my concerns with apple back in Sept. when you posted that link. It looks like the 14.1 RC dropped 3 days ago. Any idea if the fix in there, or are we stuck waiting for yet another future 14.x release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the issue been fixed in 14.1.1 ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes desperately need to know this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made a critical mistake. Trusting that the problem was being incrementally worked on, I upgraded to MacOS 14.2, and After Effects 24.1. Running on an expensive a$$ M2 Ultra Mac Studio, it feels like I'm trying to crank out pixels on a powermac G4. I really wish this nightmare would end already. I invest hard earned money to making sure that I have current, high end equipment. All I ask is that the latest software runs smoothly on that equipment. I'm very near my breaking point on this issue. I did this upgrade in the middle of a project that is being done in 1080 24p. I'm not even asking AE to crank out 4k comps.  Since this series of software "upgrades" things have doubled the amount of render/RAM preview time needed. I miss the days pre-CS6, and pre-subscription, when the software was rigorously tested before being released. This is rough. 25 years I've invested into After Effects, and this is by far the worst it's been.

Apologies for the rant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really frustrating! Are you able to confirm if the disable "Displays have separate Spaces" trick still works as a workaround with those versions at least? I'm holding off on updating past MacOS 13x on an M2 Ultra over here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this using the separate spaces hack? I just did the upgrade as well last night after ending my last project but haven't tested it yet.. now you scared me. How is it possible they still haven't fixed this!????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the previous versions that I was running, I had not been using the separate spaces hack, because I had moved to a mercury transmit solution for displaying all the frames to an external monitor via a blackmagic card. soo.. frames were still stuttery on my main monitor. This is different, now I am struggling to even get a ram preview in the first place. If I have AE and Premiere open at the same time... forget about it. It'll ram preview about 12 frames and then just sit there. It's unusable, and I am up against production deadlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for the sake of clarity to any adobe personnel that may be reading, it's not just me. It's my whole team. I am just one contractor on this particular project, and I'm not certain of the hardware that everyone is running beyond the fact that we are all running some version of apple silicon. I just know that 4 out of 4 compositors/editors on this particular project are having the worst Adobe CC issues we've ever had. Adobe, Rather than adding new fancy AI features, can reliability be the focus of the next few versions? I'm sure me and my team are not alone on this request.

Again, sorry for ranting. The frustration is peaking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2024 Jan 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have set my 4k Monitors to 2560x1440 (low resolution), initially I had these set to the above field 2560 x 1440, this has completely addressed the rendering issues on my M2 Ultra 2023 M2 Mac.. I've lost a little clarity on the screen, but my workflow is more desirable,

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 12.10.11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2024 Feb 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Spent the last 12 days with Adobe and Apple blaming each other for the issue. So I bought Davinci Studio, same issue, they blamed Apple. 

im convinced its a 4k monitor issue. Im using 2 LG 4k ultra fine 32" ERGO monitors. No change when I unplug one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2024 May 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's definitely an Apple issue because of their integrated M-chips and memory taking the fact there's no actual GPU strong enough to handle multiple monitors regardless of their size. On my 2017 MBP I don't have any issues only with my mac mini m2 pro. This might be the last time I use mac to render anything with video, motion graphics, or 3D. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines