Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

After Effects warning: invalid menu operation Jan 24th

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I´ve been having this problem for a couple days and I have not found any working solution for it at the forum. I have the latest version of AE (17.6.0).

It worked perfectly until now. This message comes up everytime I open a project, doesn´t matter if it´s new or one I´ve already created. Can´t use hotkeys or any menu on the program so I can´t continue with any of them. It is pretty much like I don´t even have it ´cause I can´t use it.

-I have tried reseting the preferences opening AE while CTRL+ALT+SHIFT and it seemed to work initially but it came back shortly after.

-Uninstalled it and tried a previous version. Didn´t work

-Reinstallation of the program and PC reset. Didn´t work.

-Also tried making a new folder for AE. Didn´t work

-Run it as administrator. Didn´t work

-I´ve read that someone had it cause of the amount of layers on their comps but that can´t be my problem because I have yet not passed from 6 or 7 layers.

-I´ve also read that someone linked stability connection problems with this. I ,may have them but I don´t know how it could cause this problem.

My specs are the following:

- i7-10700K

- 32,0 GB

- RTX 3070 8 GB

I noticed that the first time it came up was when I clicked on the tutorials of the program. Don´t know if it has anything to do with the cause, probably not.

Thanks for reading this far! Hope you can help me.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021
I have FINALLY FOUND answer to this...after a lot of struggle.I don't know what was the cause but here is what I did...I noticed that whenever I used to upload files(making the internet slow)the problem used to occur so I went to windows firewall and created an inbound rule blocking the internet connection for after effects(you can google how to do that)...and wallah it FIXED....

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happened to me a few times before, I suspected that it was related somehow to my internet connection, I can't remember what was exactly the reason (poor connection, using a VPN...), but as I remember, I was able to solve the problem by connecting my PC to the internet using another network connection, I used my phone as a hotspot and connected my computer to the internet using my phone's 4G. The strange thing is that After effects worked fine every time I did that (!).

Coincidence? I can't really know, and I can't investigate more as I didn't get that error for a long time now.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply!

I will try it and I'll come back to update.

Thanks again!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer!

I tested what @ali_jaber said about using my phone as a hotspot and it is working so far.

If the problem comes back I'll come back to update if what you just told me worked out.

Thanks again!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hehe, really weird.

I think the bug is related somehow to the welcome screen of AE, as I noticed at that time that the bug takes place when the welcome screen takes a relatively long time to be displayed.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an idea that came to mind right now: the next time you have that problem try to turn off "Enable home screen" in the Preferences > General.

I'd like to know what will happen then.

Edit: hmmm, if the problem comes back you won't be able to open the preferences in the first place!
So: disable the home screen now and let's see if the bug will take place again

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That actually happens to me most of the times that I run the program even when the bug doesn't come up.

I took note of the recommendation to try it if that happens to me again. 

Thank you very much!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have FINALLY FOUND answer to this...after a lot of struggle.

I don't know what was the cause but here is what I did...I noticed that whenever I used to upload files(making the internet slow)the problem used to occur so I went to windows firewall and created an inbound rule blocking the internet connection for after effects(you can google how to do that)...and wallah it FIXED....

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also helped in my case. Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worked ! 
Thank You .

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You make my day. It worked smoothly.

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you are a LEGEND. it works, thanks much.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue.
I've tried to solve it by cleaning my preferences and still not working.

I can't believe that I can use After Effects when I'm uploading something.
This is a MAJOR issue.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I also had this issue! I had just downloaded After Effects 2021 and couldn't do anything within any project without that error coming up.

So I  took the advice from below and created an inbound rule for AE but then I realized that for whatever reason (probably some settings I had messed with previously) my PC had already created its own inbound rules for AE 2020. So instead of disabling the network connection I just copied the exact inbound rules for AE 2020 and applied them to a new rule for AE 2021 and now the program is working flawlessly. 

Here are the settings that I used in case you want to copy exactly what I did:

Profile: public

Enabled: yes

Action: allow

Override: no

Program: (just find the correct file path for the AE application)

Local address: any

Remote address: any

Protocol: TCP

And I have "any" for all of the remaining settings...

Hope this helps!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I already tried to fix it with the certified answer below (with an imbound rule blocking the internet) and the solution of the issue from this post. Is there an other way to solve this problem? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just cleared my cahce in my prefrences and it started working again...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines