Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects warning:

Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, help me please

I'm a brand new After Effects user, or I would be if I could persuade the software to open in the first place.

On attempting to open After Effects 2017 CC on my Macbook Pro I get the following message:

After Effects warning: The directory '/Users/simonglenn2013/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/14.2' could not be created. Please check the parent directory protection or permission rights.

it's not actually surprising that this problem is occurring as there isn't a Library folder in simonglenn2013. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't just be creating system based folders so I'm mystified as to what I should be doing to remedy this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd use the operating system to repair permissions.  It happens every so often on Macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response Dave, trouble is (and I have to say I wasn't aware of this until now) the Repair Permissions section of Disk Utilities has gone in Sierra. Apparently, the system repairs permissions automatically now. What would you advise given this situation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Library folder would exist, it is just hidden. Follow Dave's advise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ,

To display your home Library folder, you move to Finder and then, click Go menu, holding Option Key of the keyboard. Library is on the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Are you familiar with command line? You open Terminal.app which is located at Applications > Utilities. You type in the command line like this to check the status and change the permission.

sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/simonglenn2013/Library/Preferences/Adobe/

hit the enter key and your log-in password is asked.

and next,

ls -l /Users/simonglenn2013/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/

If the first column is drxwrxwrxw, the change is correct. You launch After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys i have the same problem and i'm using High sierra

Adobe After Effects CC 2018 after effects warning The directory '/ Users / miguelcastelo / Library / Preferences / Adobe / After Effects / 15.1 / Original user's working space can not be created check the parent directory protection or permission rights

Captura de Tela 2018-11-15 às 16.30.32.pngCaptura de Tela 2018-11-15 às 16.30.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I found the link below I had a folder called 16.1 which was giving me issues. Inside there weren't any additional folders that After Affects was asking for, so I copied and pasted them from the 16.0 folder.

This link worked for me FAQ: After Effects can't continue: Error while accessing the preference files...

I clicked the unlock button in the bottom of "Get Info", then I clicked the "+" to add an additional user which was "Administrators" since I was already an account and set to "Read & Write". I then completed steps 6 and 7 and was able to open After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. This is the fix I needed. Other CC folders were able to be read/written to from 'System', but not by my user name. I added my users for read/write, and the subfolders and they finally launched.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! The link you posted fixed my issue too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!!!! Worked out 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines