• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AFTER EFFECTS WISH LIST (Prior to Sept 09)

Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2008 Jan 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFTER EFFECTS WISHLIST

What features would you like to see implemented in After Effects? New ideas for plugins? Interface changes? Post 'em here!

Let's keep bug identification to individual posts, as these will probably be addressed more readily. Let's use this thread for specific ideas about ways that AE can be improved and expanded.

These Forums are for users, not Adobe employees, so don't forget to also fill in an  Adobe feature request form.

To view the Wish List posts prior to 2008, look here.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 237 Replies 237
Engaged ,
Mar 04, 2008 Mar 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this already. There are three switches and a menu arrow next to the expression. The second of these, between the = and the pickwhip sends the result of the expression to the graph editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 05, 2008 Mar 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> another one that bugs me (but maybe there is a way
> of doing this i haven't yet found) is i can't see
> curves in my graph editor for attributes controlled
> by expressions. eg if i have 3 keyframes and an
> expression to loop these I'd like to be able to see
> my curve looping also, perhaps faded or broken line
> to show the difference.

See "Show expressions and the expression graph".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2008 Mar 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah great! thanks Christian and Todd. If only all my other wishlist items were already addressed like that. that's great. I should have looked that up, but I just don't like the help browser. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2008 Mar 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support loading IFL files.

Faster start-up would be nice, too (Fusion starts in what, 5 seconds). Load plug-ins only as needed = faster startup.

Also on my wishlist: teach the Premiere guys how to code properly or make editing video easier in AFX (the latter might be easier)... ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2008 Mar 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to like that in pre v8 holding opt down would turn your arrow into pen tool rather than having to press G. a little thing but it was one of those things that helps you work at speed...

maybe i could always work in pen mode & hold cmd when i want to go back to the arrow?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 07, 2008 Mar 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might seem like a small thing, but it would be nice if when I option-double-click on a locked comp layer AE would open the source comp, rather than behaving as if I am trying to select the locked layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2008 Mar 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Independant X,Y,Z coordinate keyframing
Tracker Data Applyable to Masks (or mask parenting to nulls, etc)
More options for keyframes without the need for expressions - ie, loop out, extrapolate, etc
Node view for Parenting
Lockable Selections of layers (so for example you can't accidentally click off a layer when masking, applying certain composition only effects such as mesh warp, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2008 Mar 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

prob a really simple little thing but a 'centre anchor point' button could be handy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2008 Mar 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XDCam EX import capability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2008 Mar 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A better management of core processes like a good 3D app do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2008 Mar 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want SERIOUS integration between AE and other Adobe products. As this is a wishlist I'm going to be outrageous and say a big giant Flash engine in AE so I can import FLAs as comps (similar to the way you'd import AI or PSD files), but realistically I'd be happy with just being able to edit Illustrator paths (as you can with Combustion) within AE. It's SOOOO annoying having to ctrl + e Illustrator files when an app that adobe don't even make has better integration with adobe products. Grrrrrrr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might have been mentioned before, but in addition to the often-requested labels for the 3D views, I'd like some indicator of which camera layer is being used as the active camera on a given frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Humanbulk -- can you explain your feature request a little more? It's a bit Dilbert-y meeting speak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2008 Mar 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron. I have been searching for a solution to changing the setting of multiple Output Modules too and came across your reply here.

I was just wondering if you could clarify it for me.

This is what I understand so far and what I have been doing allready...

If I highlight all the comps in the render queue and change the Render settings, they all change. I have to change the output Module one by one, and the Output to setting is already done if I make a false save to in a blank project before the one I start working on.

I just wanted to clarify if there is definately no way I can change all the Output Modules in one go, or some way which is quicker than changing them one by one as i have described above.

I put over 300 clips through after Effects, and as you can imagine, the time saved on this step alone would be brilliant (for both my and my hand)

Yours,

Melvyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Melvyn, the quickest way I've found to change all the output modules in one go is:

Before you add them to the render queue, change the "movie default" setting(if that's what you're looking for) to the output module you require in the "edit/templates/output modules" dialogue box. Unfortunately with this method you have to know BEFOREHAND which output module you want to set the comps to render to, it doesn't leave too much room for experimentation. Quickest way I've come up with though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change multiple Output Modules easily, so long as you've stored a template for the settings you want to use.

Click on the first output module in the Render Queue, shift-click the last in the queue, then select the Output module template in any of the selected queue items.

Voila.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far as I can see, Andrew, this only works for "render settings" and not for "output module". You would think it would be as simple as that, and it was definitely something I was hoping would be possible in CS3 but alas...no

Unless I'm doing something wrong that is...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ed Smith,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! (One of those is from my client)

That worked perfectly. I can work this step into my workflow so all I do now is open a project, bring one file in, make a comp, set the output folder, close that project. (This is to have my output set for the files I am about to work on)

Then, open a new project, pre-set my Output Module like you said (which I will do each time) and then just continue working through my worklfow. Except now at the end, I don't spend 20 minutes of wrist spraining clicking setting each output Module individually!

Awsome.

Now if only I could work out how to change the composition settings for each comp to a predefined one instead of ctrl K'ing each one and tabbing down (which when I do, it sounds like I am running a printing press with the repetativeness of my keystrokes.

Thanks so much, life saver. These forums are excellent.

Melvyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> So far as I can see, Andrew, this only works for "render settings" and not for "output module". You would think it would be as simple as that, and it was definitely something I was hoping would be possible in CS3 but alas...no

> Unless I'm doing something wrong that is...

Sorry to say, Ed, I think you're doing something wrong! :-)

To break it down, say you have 5 items in your Render Queue.

Click on the actual text "Output Module" in the first item.

Shift-click on the text "Output Module" on the last item.

In the first item, select a new Output Module template.

All 5 Render Queue items will now be set to the template you've chosen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being able to change composition settings for multiple comps would be a handy feature alright, something like being able to "remember interpretation" being applicable to comps would be genius. I'm coming up blank trying to figure out a speedy workaround though, sorry dude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Now if only I could work out how to change the composition settings for each comp to a predefined one instead of ctrl K'ing each one and tabbing down (which when I do, it sounds like I am running a printing press with the repetativeness of my keystrokes.

Melvyn, there may be a way to simplify your process if you care to break it down for us.

Perhaps put it in a new thread so as not to clutter the Wish List. :-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AHHHHhhhhh I was clicking on the drop down arrow, nice one Andrew.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2008 Apr 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be handy to change the colour of the project folders. They are all blue and with many folders it's hard to read through them all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 07, 2008 Apr 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish there was a lasso tool for selecting mask points. Also, maybe a grow selection on mask points, so you could select some points, and then ctrl + (or whatever) to grow the selection on nearby points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2008 Apr 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These have all been logged by me with Adobe (many times) using the "Feature Request" page for the last 3 versions of the software. Can't figure out why they don't think these wouldn't be an asset to the program:

An intra-project search function that displays properties of every layer. Opening someone else's project with thousands of comps / precomps currently is a NIGHTMARE without this function. I want to be able to look for a layer that has a missing plug-in on it that is buried within 30 precomps and go directly to it.

A Precomp drop-down in the timeline for showing the contents of a precomp rather than having to open it in a separate tab in the timeline.

View Labels (Heads Up Display - like a 3D program) in the corners of multi-view Comp Window sets (Top / Bottom / Front / Back / Right / Left / Perspective)

...more later.

Joey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines