• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AFTER EFFECTS WISH LIST (Prior to Sept 09)

Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2008 Jan 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFTER EFFECTS WISHLIST

What features would you like to see implemented in After Effects? New ideas for plugins? Interface changes? Post 'em here!

Let's keep bug identification to individual posts, as these will probably be addressed more readily. Let's use this thread for specific ideas about ways that AE can be improved and expanded.

These Forums are for users, not Adobe employees, so don't forget to also fill in an  Adobe feature request form.

To view the Wish List posts prior to 2008, look here.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 237 Replies 237
Enthusiast ,
Jun 07, 2008 Jun 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- How about a continuous zoom tool?

Check out Imagineer's zoom tool -- very sweet. Hold down Z and move the mouse up and down. The point of zoom is where the magnifying zoom is and it smoothly zooms in continuous values (not this 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 1 business). Ahhh, OpenGL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 13, 2008 Jun 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.) image sequences are restricted to 30.000 images.

1.) the "countdown" text plugin is very unflexible because a.) the number is also limited to 30.000, indepedently of the slider value you are setting.
and b.) the automatic comma sh*it drives me nuts. give us more room please.
yes, there may be expressions, but i´m not interested in those in this particular case!

fix this precompose nightmare.

fix 64 bit adress for mac

fix this 3 GB RAM stuff

fix Open GL crap

fix this Standard/Advanced 3D stuff. Shadow resolution set to 4000 makes my machine cry and standard 3D makes my client whine!

this is driving me nuts, it´s driving me nuts and causes bad health to me.

FIX IT!
FIX IT!
FIX IT!

just one FIX!

CAN YOU HEAR ME?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2008 Jun 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^ I agree with your first few requests, but would like to point out:

Rebuilding AE in 64 bit is a massive undertaking, and will be presumably be done for CS5, not CS4. The 3GB limitation is a component of that undertaking.

AE's OpenGL implementation is rock-solid and adheres strictly to the standard. Any OpenGL issues you may have are a result of poor third party drivers, not AE.

What version are you using? The Standard 3D render has not existed since AE 7.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 14, 2008 Jun 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More on Adobe's 64-bit roadmap here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/04/photoshop_lr_64.html

The short version: Adobe's stalwart Mac apps like Photoshop and AE are written for Apple's Carbon API, which acted as a bridge between the Classic Mac OS and Mac OS X. Apple has dropped all plans for 64-bit Carbon, choosing to focus solely on the 64-bit Cocoa API. This is probably a good thing in the long run, but it means Carbon apps have to be rewritten for the Cocoa API to take advantage of 64-bit addressing. This is, apparently, a lot of work, and we already know it won't happen for Photoshop before CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 16, 2008 Jun 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question to Standard/Advanced OpenGL = Windows PC
Working in OpenGL is pure BS not about BAD third party drivers, same stuff on Mac Machines! thee only thing that works somehow justyfying is Adaptive Resolution.

About 64Bit adress an 3 GB limitation: i´m not interested if this course is undertaking or a lot of work.
i work a lot to be able pay my newest octacore intel machines and i´m really not interested in Adobe´s plans for CS5!!!!!!! I wan´t to work to the given hardware limit!!! I´m dependent from Adobes Products since ages because i do not have the money to switch to another application suite, why should i anyway just because the lack of development?

why is this so hard to undertstand for a millions of dollars heavy company!!!???

nuff said bout that. it´s driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2008 Jun 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many programmers do you think Adobe employs that solely work on After Effects? I bet it's less than you think.

Before Adobe goes 64bit (with PS for Windows), shouldn't Apple release a 64bit version of QT?

As for image sequence limit - interesting, didn't know the limit. But that's a LOT of files in 1 directory... How long does it take to open up that directory in Windows Explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2008 Jun 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things:

1) There ought to be the option to render out Marker Regions in the Composition Timeline as separate QuickTime Movies. One could add to this the ability to just render Timeline area 1 or 2 or 5. More flexible than just "Work Area Only" and really useful if you're burning a DVD etc.

2) This MUST get in sooner or later! When you (Mac) Control+Click a composition's Tab for that menu there ought to be "Reveal Comp in Project Window" option. No more searching around the Project folder for composions....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i This MUST get in sooner or later! When you (Mac) Control+Click a composition's Tab for that menu there ought to be "Reveal Comp in Project Window" option. No more searching around the Project folder for composions....

Try control- or right-clicking on empty space in the timeline window. You'll get just such an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David Wigforss

How many programmers do you think Adobe employs that solely work on After Effects? I bet it's less than you think.

if you open PS and count all the names there´ll be 60 people or so just on photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we maybe move this discussion to another thread so it's easier to ignore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don´t worry Aaron, i´ll never post anymore anything into Adobe Forums because nobody is listening anyway.
Ignoring is the highest virtue that human beeings bare.

goodbye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 18, 2008 Jun 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going back to the original purpose of this thread:

I'd really like the ability to set default render settings and output module for individual comps in the Comp Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 19, 2008 Jun 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Aaron, that's a good one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2008 Jun 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

an install who i can choose install on my system only one language, beccause it's more clean and more light, like the old after effects 6.5 installer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2008 Jun 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi
I wish the below items :
1 - selecting color like photoshop , especialy the magic wand tool
2 - extrude , extrude , extrude
for text and shape
3 - something like REVOLVE in Adobe Illustrator or like LATHE in Maxon Cinma4D
thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2008 Jun 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like a slider or something to control the opacity of layers, so you can see the keyframes without twirling the down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2008 Jun 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it hasn't been mentioned already, non-perpendicular guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2008 Jul 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple, I would like After Effects to have the ability to extrude Text in 3d space.

Nothing complicated, just be able to create 3d Text.

We had to purchase Maya just to create 3d text for a single project, it would have been nice to be able to do it with after Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 09, 2008 Jul 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maya is really overkill for simple text extrusion. Have you checked out Zaxwerks' 3D Invigorator?
http://zaxwerks.com/invigorator_pro/index.shtml

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2008 Jul 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers for the link, I'll check it out.

True, Maya is overkill, but my company were willing to pay for it so I got it.

I use it now to create Marketing animations, as this was my original background, so it hasn't gone to waste.

Zaxwerks 3d Navigator though would seem to suit others in the team that cannot use Maya so I'll check it out.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2008 Jul 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see Layer Groups, like Photoshop has, so that I can see all the contents of my Precomps in my Main Comps.

Also, an extruded drop shadow is long overdue.

Thanks AE team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2008 Jul 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being able to specify how many processors to use in the multiprocessing preference pane.

I've got 8 processors. Using six of them should be more than enough. Using 1 roughly quadruples render times, but using 8 makes the computer unusable for anything else. Perhaps an option to instruct AE to leave 2 of those processors alone would solve the problem.

Also I want to add my support for extrusion and lathing of shapes and text. Being able to use bezier paths to drive the extrusion scale over it's length would be very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 13, 2008 Jul 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

invisiblerabbit, while it's not as convenient, you can limit the number of processors used for multiprocessing by editing the preference file:

http://aescripts.com/2008/01/23/after-effects-802-released/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2008 Jul 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaron, you just made my week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2008 Jul 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to have some form of a plugin manager to easily manage plugins within after effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines