• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AFTER EFFECTS WISH LIST (Prior to Sept 09)

Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2008 Jan 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFTER EFFECTS WISHLIST

What features would you like to see implemented in After Effects? New ideas for plugins? Interface changes? Post 'em here!

Let's keep bug identification to individual posts, as these will probably be addressed more readily. Let's use this thread for specific ideas about ways that AE can be improved and expanded.

These Forums are for users, not Adobe employees, so don't forget to also fill in an  Adobe feature request form.

To view the Wish List posts prior to 2008, look here.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 237 Replies 237
Aug 11, 2008 Aug 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-Proper curve editor a'la 3ds max, maya and the likes.
-Ability to import RLA/RPF metadata (pixel motion vectors for motion blur!)
-Much better integration with 3d modeling tools (import and export camera and helper nulls)
-Continuously rasterize and collapse transformations should not be the same switch! If you have a precomp with vector layers you can't rasterize them without messing up everything else in the process.
-Scanline renderer! AE's current layer-by-layer computing/caching system makes it pretty much useless for BIG compositions with high resolution elements.
-Better resource (memory) management. All too many times you see AE just run out of memory and topple instead of even trying to swap anything onto a harddrive or empty layer caches by itself.
-And finally, please, PLEASE make AE update "open recent" list more often since if AE crashes it will forget the last open item and so many times I find to have been accidentally working on an old version because I didn't realize this at first. Also "remember last used directory" is a problem if you're working simultaneously between many projects and you have to swap between them often. The last used directory will be the one used for previous project and not the current one. It should always default to the project directory (where the aep. file is located).

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2008 Aug 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An option in the preferences that "forces" any project you open to use your most recent/current workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2008 Aug 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to see some "easy" animating features example like this kind of feature http://www.maxon.net/pages/products/new/r11/mov_ghosting.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2008 Aug 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now that per-character 3D text is possible, how about Shape layer repeaters that work in 3D ?

buy Trapcode! Soundkeys (or something more robust than Convert Audio To Keyframes) would be a nice native plugin to have.

make Autotrace more robust; like Illustrator's Livetrace, but for video and/or nested comps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2008 Aug 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sure seems that if everyone above who dislikes the graph editor put in a feature request the web site might be overloaded! Is Adobe listening???? Add me to the list.

I would also like to copy and paste bezier values from one graph to another, or duplicate lines.

Also the graph should not always auto select the keyframe of interest (often the wrong keyframe of several in the same spot.)

Also, some non linear functions to keyframes, like in addition to linear and bezier there could be "gravity" or "acceleration" to simulate the effect of gravity or an acceleration force.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 05, 2008 Sep 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- The ability to import Cinema 4D .b3d image files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 05, 2008 Sep 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why bodypaint files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 11, 2008 Sep 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it's the native format for Cinema4D renders. If a Quicktime movie fails to assemble, I would be able to go back to the usable source .b3d render files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 11, 2008 Sep 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like a public Beta of AE CS4 to coincide with the announcement on Sept 23, 2008.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 12, 2008 Sep 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hellz yeah!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2008 Sep 19, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At some point, Adobe is gonna have to do more than just "2D" rendering of "3D" objects. I know AE is not a 3D modeling program and I don't think it every should be, but I do think I should be able to bring a 3D object into AE and it should be rendered as a 3D object so that I can build scenes inside of AE.

Also, Adobe needs to buy Maxon or a 3D company and truly integrate the product into the CS product line. It's the only piece really missing from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True 3D layer support.

I want to be able to twist, warp and re-shape a flat layer into a 3D object, not just move it around in 3D space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dave! :)

Adobe doesn't have to buy MAXON as long as you have. :)

Because After Effects allows so many different 3D packages to tap into their SDK, it gives AE users a wide range of 3D choices. Personally, I'd be disappointed if AE purchased a single 3D package and dropped the others.

What I'd like to see instead is some kind of dynamic linking SDK available, so people like you and me can use CMD-E to tweak the C4D file, re-render, then come back without re-saving, re-exporting AEC files.

oh, and the layers would all automatically re-align to the C4D external compositing tags.

? :)

but also yes, 3D bicubic distortion in AE (like flame) would be great too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2008 Sep 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if Adobe did buy Maxon or 3DS from AutoDesk, they could never drop support for other 3D products without getting their core industry extremely upset with them.

That said, Adobe needs a 3D modeling program as part of their suite. It's the only major missing component.

Additionally, SOOOO much of video work these days is 3D. The basic simple rotating and moving a 2D plane (layer) in 3D space is no longer good enough. After Effects needs an inherent ability to load existing 3D objects in 3 dimensions and allow them to not only interact with a 3D camera, but also support of lighting inside of AE.

I am glad for the ability to import 3D objects in PSD files, but all the talk during the introduction about improving workflow and having to jump into PS to change textures, adjust lighting, etc... does not promote a fast workflow. 🙂

I almost kinda wish they would have skipped this feature in CS4 so they could do it right in CS5 without any legacy issues. Still, I'm looking forward to messing with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2008 Sep 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope the fine peoples from Adode After Effects did improve the CURVES AND LEVELS TOOLS. I suggest if I may: Copy the codes from Photoshop and paste it to After effects.
It is painful and frustrating to even think about how bad the Curves and Levels Tools are in After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2008 Sep 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read there are roughly 5 times the number of PhotoShop/Illustrator users as After Effects users. Which probably explains why AE is the 'red-headed stepchild' of the suite. All it gets are the hand-me downs from the other apps.

The stuff about AE in the launch video made me groan and gave me ZERO excitement for features in AE. However, having seen other stuff from outsiders now, I do appreciate the hard work that went into "workflow" and the attempt and bringing all of the UIs into the same camp.

Since that is now accomplished, I'd really like to see Adobe spend some time actually catching up to 'state-of-the-art' in terms of what can be produced in After Effects without having to rely on SOOOO much third-party stuff. It makes it seem like all the best programmers DON'T work for Adobe with regards to AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2008 Sep 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actual wishlist stuff:

True 64-bit executable with an emphasis on faster rendering time.

True 3D render engine with support for 3D cameras and lights (not rendering 3D objects as 2D layers through PhotoShop).

That includes the ability to extrude shapes into 3D (like text, specifically).

Ability to warp layers into shapes.

Flash's new IK tool (makes Puppet tool look like a joke).

Premiere's speech to text for rendering titles/subtitles.

Overhaul of Particle Playground to improve speed.

Ability in Particle Playground, Radio Waves, Wave World, etc.. to pre-calculate 'X' number of frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 26, 2008 Sep 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i would like to have a new forum layout like here http://tinyurl.com/46qf7f

the actual ones here are pretty outdated ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^Previous attempts at a Forum update have not been overly successful, but a new combined format for ALL Adobe forums is in the works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Thanks Andrew,

just a question/request about CS4.

has there been any possibility/idea implemented to change the Text attributes (Font, Size, Spacing, etc.) for Multiple Layers/Comps Projectwide.

I´ve been requesting this for Ages.
I had an idea of - kinda like - CSS Styles (used for Webdesign), or better, having the ability to define Text-Templates which you can change then Projectwide.
Even a script (per selcted comps or/and Layers) would do.

Same would be fine for custom color Templates/Palettes - means definig colors which are used often in the same or other project.

If you work like me on DVD reels with over eg. 300 short animated indroduction screens including different color and text, this would be a lifesaver. because you know: clients are clients and they always change their minds.

Thanks for reading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2008 Sep 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Color labels for Keyframes could be handy sometimes
- ability to lock all 2d Layers while editing in the Comp window and especially in 3D views
- ability to hide all 2d Layers in 3D views
- Much better antialiasing for 3d layers
- per Comp Bit depht setting (with a "use current settings" switch in the render settings of cause)
- FBX, OBJ, DXF import & and a real 3d renderer (the PS 3d thing is by far not enough)
- Camera mapping
- 3d distortion of layers
- 64 Bit
- a way to animate between blending modes
- a "use as is" checkbox for displacement maps (and other map/layer based effects) in addition to "center map", "scale to fit" and "tile layer". Wich means it should use the layers actual transformations and effect settings. This would save us a ton of precomping
- The curve editor still sucks in CS4 (sorry - but it does!)
- And as always: a responsive GUI; high interruptability & no more beachballs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 29, 2008 Sep 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

forget about this painstaking precomposing and use "editable-in-place" nested layer function which into you can ad fx an make adjustments. IN THE SAME COMPOSITION! I hate precomposing!

it should work like a folder of grouped layers which you can twirl down in the same comp timeline an continue working on these separeate leyers including applied Fx and Adjustments. twirl back an you´re done. saves space, life and nerves on complex projects.
so keep your new flowchart window, it works backwards anyway. useless.

As far after effects will never ever become node based.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 29, 2008 Sep 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dunno -- in many cases, Precomping allows for a more logical structure of projects and layered effects. But I can see your point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 30, 2008 Sep 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any word on a CS3 to CS4 free upgrade grace period?
I need another license of AE now, but I don't want to get stuck paying for it twice if buy CS3 today and still have to pay to upgrade it to CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2008 Sep 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Has there been any word on a CS3 to CS4 free upgrade grace period?

I would call Adobe's customer service line and ask. In the past the free upgrade period started when they announced the new version.

Expect them to try to sell you upgrades to CS4 for all of your licenses, of course. ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines