Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects won't open project

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2012 Dec 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I created a project in AE. While rendering a comp, ae crashed. I restarted it and tried to open the project again. The Open-Dialog shows up but it only goes until 67%, then ae freezes.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

Tobias

TOPICS
Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually worked for me as well!

I had a Dynamic Link (AE comps in Premiere) and my AE project won't open. Only after I opened the Premiere project with the Dynamic Link my AE project magically opened!

EDIT: My Dynamic Link story is a bit more complicated… turns out I have a Premiere timeline in my AE comp, while using that AE comp in another Premiere timeline. So basically you should try run Premiere with your other project open if you have any troubles 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 17, 2018 Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

frisalitsch  wrote

Hi,

This is my first post ever in a Forum, and it's not in my language, please pardon my English...

I had the same problem, in march 2018, with the Adobe After Effects CC 2018, running on MacOS Sierra.

None of my Auto-save projects worked, even if imported in a new project. AE freezes during the opening or importing process (57% or 62%). Had to force quitting.
Then, I realized I imported a Premiere Pro sequence in my After Effects project, by Dynamic Link.

I just opened my Premiere Pro project, and after that, my AE project magically opened again. So, this may be a Dynamic Link problem...

I hope this may help people having the same issue.

Thank you so much frisalitsch.  This right here was the solution for me. Won't lie, a bit of panic was beginning to set in because this is a months-old project with a million keyframes in it, and none of my backups were loading up either.

Good old Dynamic Link strikes again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2020 Jun 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me too !! (importing my project inside a new one didn't work) Thank you frisalitsch !! CC 2019 / macbook pro 13 2016

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually went out of my way to login just to thank you for this 3 year old comment. I was having the same issue, and forgot i made a new version of my premiere file but the old version was dynamic linked in the after effects file. I just had simple edits to make on a project but no matter what i tried the ae file would not open. It's very weird that you need the premiere project open to work in after effects with dynamic link but you dont need the after effects project open whle working with premiere and dynamic link, and considering its been 3 years and this is still an issue I think they should try and fix that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It did, thank you! I'm here having the exact same issue with Premiere 2023 and After Effects 2023... Opening Premiere before After Effects made After Effects open, where it got stuck at 5% literally every time before, on two different systems. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try opening the project on another computer that doesn't have the associated media on it. If the project opens, save, send it back to your computer, and re-connect media until you find the bugger that set it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having a similar issue, Can someone PLEASE help me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exsusme

when i open after effect cc2018 crashed.

"after effect error: crash in progress. last logged message was: <10784>

<GPUManager> <2> sniffer result code:1"

Please help me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Thing happened to me. It was freezing all the time at 42%. The problem seemed to be a bunch of photos that wouldn't link because they were on my local drive and my project was on an external drive. Stupid me saved it on the wrong drive... I'm sure some can relate. So I opened it on my laptop (my other computer) from an external drive. The laptop couldn't see the links so it didn't try to resolve it (the other computer tried to hard - hence the crash) so it declared the photo links dead and replaced 'em all with color bars...BUT...I was able to open the damn file. - The rest is obvious, copied the photo folder in my project on the external drive ( where it should've been in the first place) relinked and saved under another name. Took it back on my main powerful computer and guess what? It worked like a charm. Moral of the story : AE hates complicated links. Look into that with another pc if you can.... It saved me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similar problem.  I have some project files that won't open which I started on After Effects CC2018.  Now that I've updated to AE CC2019, they will not open.  I don't have dynamic links for them, they are purely AE files (along with additional assets like .png/.wav/.mov of course).  I try to update the file to CC2019 of course, but it never makes progress past 0%.

I tried the caps lock trick, opening an autosave file, and importing the file into a new project, to which none worked.

Advice is appreciated.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

igual o meu problema...like my problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when opening the project, already hangs all ... the other projects I can not open, but that did not ... and has no link dynamic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first I moved all my assets (music, logos, footage, etc) into another folder on my harddrive, breaking the link. This allowed me to open the project but everything needed relinking. Ive just tried again however but instead I moved all the files into another folder, including AE Project. And its opened fine for me now. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, I had a project completely done, it was dynamic linked to prempro and audition and it would not open.  I tried pretty much all of the things on this thread, nothing worked, there was a lot of swearing. Then I just renamed the project and hey presto it opened 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI EVERYONE READING THIS FORUM. 

AFter reading everyone's solution, opening premiere pro first

(dynamic link) + had all caps on (not sure if this helped), and then the frozen AE project oepned. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem: the dialogue box froze while loading the project. Over and over.

I followed up the advice in this conversations (a new project and import, open in another computer and save again, ...) Nothing worked.

Then I opened a random project and I cleaned out cache of after effects in preferences. It worked. I can open the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new project and import didn't work for me too.

You need to open both your AE AND Premiere projects.  And they have to be open with the same version (CC2019, CC2020...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines